Software 1.03.06 and Edimax 7711UAn wireless adaptor

Jasperoni

Hi,

Am new to this forum and have just received my HDR-FoxT2 which has this latest (?) software 1.03.06 installed. All seems to work OK including being able to connect to the Internet via a short wired connection to my router. However I bought an Edimax EW-7711UAn USB adaptor (had seen mention of this on the forums as a good solution) to connect wirelessly as the eventual position of the Humax will be in another room where it would not be practical to run a wired connection.
Am experiencing big problems getting this to work and wondered if anyone else with this latest software was experiencing similar issues or if it may be my Edimax which is faulty. The main symptom is that when in wireless settings on the Humax it does not even detect my network SSID despite being within a couple of feet of the router. I have no issues with other wireless connection and in fact am typing this from my wireless iPad. Have tried manually inserting in Humax the SSID and password and the various WPA encryption options (my router is on WPA-PSK) all to no avail.
Any suggestion etc would be greatly appreciated.

Not really the same, though, is it? TonyV5 has the Humax dongle, not the Edimax, and his can see the SSID of his Wifi network - it just times out waiting for him to enter his long WPA password and so (unsurprisingly) fails to connect. Jasperoni's Humax can't even see his network's SSID.

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the replies. Unfortunately, as ejstubbs says above, the thread suggested by Ezra is not really that relevant, the Humax does not even see my or any other SSIDs and there are several my iPad and other wifi devices pick-up. In the absence of any further suggestions I think I am leaning towards sending the Edimax back to Amazon as faulty....

Have you tried setting up the Edimax in a PC, to see if it works OK there, this would check to see if the Edimax was faulty.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for reply. No I have yet to do this mainly because I am running Win7 64 bit and I read on one forum somewhere that the Edimax does not work on this set-up and did not wish to waste a load more time trying this. I may try on a laptop if I can borrow one from someone next week.....

An update.

Managed to get a laptop rather sooner than I expected and surprisingly the Edimax "sees" all the local available wifi networks (5+) and was able to install the Edimax driver and access internet so bang goes my idea that the Edimax is faulty!

What I did discover whilst checking this on the laptop was that this Edimax has a MAC code which is not shown physically on the item nor in any of the documenation which came with it. As my router uses MAC filtering I thought this was the problem but unfortunately adding the MAC code to the router (which I had to do to get the Edimax to work on the laptop) still did not get the Humax wifi working. Have tried both USB ports on all of the various security protocols on the Humax but assume either of the WPA-PSK TKIP or AES conforms with WPA-PSK which my router is set to. It does seem odd that the Humax does not "see" any of the local wifi networks when it initially searches in wifi setup which makes me think it may be something to do with the latest software installed on this model or possibly a change in the Edimax firmware which the Humax is not compatible with.

I have read numerous posts in other places of how the Edimax 7711UAN works well on this Humax model so perhaps this reinforces that the latest Humax software is to blame.. Pehaps it is time to cut my losses, accept that wifi will not work on the Humax and spend my time on something more productive!!

Any further suggestions as to where I go from here will be gratefully accepted.

Hi Brian,

Yes have 'thought' about it but really do, not want to go for another solution with extra expense involved and then find that doesn't work also perhaps on this new Humax software. Having said this can you recommend any particular HomePlug solution?

Thanks Brian, but will they work successfully on the Humax with this new version of software, that's the question!!!
Have been looking on the net for the different versions of WPA-PSK and it seems odd that the Humax wifi set does not,offer this option but instead two others with TKIP and AES after the WPA-PSK so wonder if this is the issue although I did try with NO security on both Humax and router without success.

If your Humax does work when connected to your router via ethernet cable, it should work just the same with HomePlugs.

Hi, that's good to know and may make me consider the additional expense. Have already checked that it works OK via a cabled connection and it worked like a charm,

I am using mine with an 8-way ethernet switch to connect 7 items to my router, and also have one connected to a remote HD-FOX T2 so that I can watch HD recordings made on my HDR-FOX T2 boxes, on my kitchen TV, this works very well. I purchased my Devolo's at £39.99, and thought that they were a bargain at that price. I think that I may purchase another set as spares, as they are now only £29.99.:)

I am using mine with an 8-way ethernet switch to connect 7 items to my router, and also have one connected to a remote HD-FOX T2 so that I can watch HD recordings made on my HDR-FOX T2 boxes, on my kitchen TV, this works very well. I purchased my Devolo's at £39.99, and thought that they were a bargain at that price. I think that I may purchase another set as spares, as they are now only £29.99.:)
Sounds good although looking at the power consumption it seems a bit high at 6 watts especially as I assume this is per unit so total 12 watts continuous starts to mount up at today's electricity prices! Would the 200 version be the same but just a lower max bandwidth, see they are specked at 3 watts. Mind you can't find them as cheap as the Currys' price

Unfortunately, my local stores are currently also out of stock.:( When I bought my second set about a month ago, they still had a few sets in stock.

Unfortunately, my local stores are currently also out of stock.:( When I bought my second set about a month ago, they still had a few sets in stock.

Was about to order a Devolo unit from Amazon when just for the hell of it I decided to try an old "DIGIFLEX Wireless Internet USB Adaptor WiFi Dongle" which I bought for £3.99 via Amazon back in 2010 - they are still available at this price. Low and behold it detected my network immediately and the security setting and all I needed was to put in my password. iPlayer working fine although, as I said before, I am within 2 feet of the router so how it will perform if I move it the other side of the house I'm not sure - probably not very well.... Really weird why the Edimax will not work and what a waste of £12 odd!

Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions guys and in particular Brian for keeping coming back to me.

Will report back once I move the Humax to its permanent position.

I hope your DIGIFLEX WiFi dongle will be OK when you re-site your Humax. I must admit that it's not a brand that I am familiar with, perhaps Ezra can add it to his list of working dongles.

Edit: Is yours by any chance one of THESE.

Back