Software on Youview "Rubbish"

Nuttyman

I bought a Youview DTR-T1010/2TB some weeks ago and all is fine, but the software is bad, to give you an example:

I have a Fox T2 and have recorded over 60 episodes of “Come dine with me” now to view that all I do is to go into the folder and arrow up and that gets me to the bottom to view the episode I want, now with the Youview you cannot do that, so you would have to click 60 times or maybe 6 or 7 page downs (I haven’t try it) to get to the episode.

Also there should be a conformation before you delete something.

That would be a good software upgrade

I'm not sure whether you are just making us aware of the YouView shortcoming or requesting a modification.
If the latter you need to raise the request on the YouView web site as we have no means of modding the box ourselves.

So much is bad with the Youview software. Where to begin? I blame it on negligent beta testers and a rush to get it to the market (which failed miserably).

In your case, down and then left will get you to the last page, once you have your series recordings displayed. Down gets you to the latest recording (why no sorting alternatives?) and then you can go left or right to navigate between pages. The navigation is circular. It isn't an ideal solution, because once on the last (earliest) page of recordings you may have to hit down several times to reach the last (earliest) recording.

Will try that Mike

I just find it so strange why they did not program it like the FOX T2, maybe its me but I love the FOX T2, I should of bought 2 of them. I mean the Youview box you cant even change the remote to a differant frequency like you can with the FOX t2 still thats another story.

Take care

Peter

The YouView consortium wanted products produced by all suppliers* to operate the same, so they produced an operating spec. that all YouView products must stick to, the result is that Humax does not have a free hand to say how the box will operate.

*There were going to be 6 or so manufactures of YouView boxes, but they all pulled out except Humax and Huawei

You should have seen the way the EPG navigation worked when the trial boxes were first sent out. Totally arse about face (press Down to move to the previous page closer toward the top of the channel list for example).

That's because you want the screen that's higher than the one you are looking at to move down. Simples.
SWMBO and I are always arguing about scroll up or down. She says to see stuff off the bottom of the page is scroll up. I suppose that theory holds some water, as does the EPG nav mentioned by gomez above.

You should have seen the way the EPG navigation worked when the trial boxes were first sent out. Totally arse about face (press Down to move to the previous page closer toward the top of the channel list for example).
When watching a live channel on a HDR-FOX T2 when the down button is pressed, (ignoring wrap around), it switches to a lower numbered channel. If OK is pressed first a HDR-FOX T2 does the reverse and moves the focus to a higher numbered channel. Perhaps what you describe was an attempt at consistency on the Youview.

More natural to think about the Up and Down referring to moving the focus (ie the currently highlighted channel). And consistent with how scrolling works in Windows too.

You get the same thing with scrolling on camera LCDs. It depends whether you think of moving your view or moving the paper within the view.

And consistent with how scrolling works in Windows too.

With two finger scrolling on a touchpad, you get the choice of which way to scroll, so consistency is no longer an issue.

Anyway, aren't you partly to blame for the travesty that is YouView?

Only in that they mostly ignored my helpful feedback as a triallist.

Oh, well done. I am glad someone managed to try to talk some sense into them. I withdraw that accusation.

I think all of the triallists were saying the same as me. Some small victories like the EPG scrolling and getting a warning when deleting locked recordings and finding a direct remote control code to get to the Recording List but the original design cock-up did not seem to allow for the more fundemental changes we suggested.

Back