SOLVED: HDR-FOX T2 Unstable with 2TB HDD

martinr

With the original 500 GB Seagate Video 3.5 HDD fitted, my Fox T2 HDR is stable; iPlayer, for example, works every time. The unit will run for weeks without freezing.

However, I installed a 2TB Seagate Video 3.5 HDD and formatted it through the HDR. I have run fixdisk 3 or 4 times as well, but the HDR is unstable with this larger HDD. For example, it will freeze and become unresponsive to the remote or to the buttons on the front of the unit if I select iPlayer through the portal and try and select o programme. Selecting a film, for example,, I get all the way to agreeing that I am 16 or over, then I see the swirling circle, which eventually times out and tells me to check the network connection because there seems to be a problem. The HDR is then frozen and I have to power down with the mains switch to reboot; it will not respond to the remote or the front panel. This is totally repeatable, and yet if I put my original HDD back in place, iPlayer will stream the film every time.

The HDR is also temperamental with the 2TB HDD fitted: sometimes it will freeze on bootup and I will have to power down and reboot. With the 500GB drive it’s very stable; with the 2TB drive it’s really too unstable for everyday use.

I have tried reverting the unit to the stock Humax firmware but the behaviour is the same, so I know this has nothing to do with the CFW.

What could account for HDD making the unit unstable and is there anything else I might try? I presume this is just something I have to accept: this HDR is simply never going to be stable with a 2TB HDD.

It strikes me there are two possibilities: 1. Your PSU is having problems supplying the extra load of a larger HDD; 2. The HDD is faulty.

As the differences in power for various capacities of the same basic drive are very small, I plump for the latter.

I presume this is just something I have to accept: this HDR is simply never going to be stable with a 2TB HDD.
That's an unnecessarily sweeping statement considering you have a sample of one.

Many thanks: that gives me hope. I should have put a question mark after my final sentence. It wasn’t really a statement.

So even though nothing untoward is detected in fixdisk, the HDD could still be faulty?

I have a Seagate “Pipeline HD .2 1TB”. This came from another Fox T2 HDR; I could see how the box behaves with that fitted. If it’s still unstable, it won’t prove anything except maybe that a Pipeline HDD is not suitable. On the other hand, if the HDR is stable, then that would give more confidence in the faulty HDD diagnosis.

I also have a way I could power the HDD from a separate power supply, so I could also test your first idea.

Thanks again for your ideas.

Last edited:
Where did the 2TB drive come from? Please could you post the output from the hard drive diagnostics?
Thanks, Martin. It came “fulfilled by Amazon UK” from a third-party I will send the disk diagnostic tomorrow after I’ve swapped the 2TB drive back in.

So even though nothing untoward is detected in fixdisk, the HDD could still be faulty?
Of course. fixdisk looks at the file system data structures, not the actual HDD hardware at all. The HDD has its own internal diagnostics which are reported in the SMART data (see WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Disk Diagnostics), which get nearer the hardware, but even then I don't think excessive power consumption or spikes would make it to the reporting.

I should have put a question mark after my final sentence. It wasn’t really a statement.
But it was structured as a statement. You can't turn a statement into a question just by sticking a question mark on the end. People do though.
I also have a way I could power the HDD from a separate power supply, so I could also test your first idea.
Worth a try I suppose.

I have had bad experiences with terribly poor packaging with Amazon hard disk suppliers and Ebuyer.

I normally buy disks from CCL Online. Several dozen over the years, always well packaged, and only one recent DOA which was returned and replaced.

I also burn disks in using the host or a Startech caddy which supports SMART. Seemingly many don't. Short test, conveyance test, long test, 4 badblocks write/read passes, long test. Takes about a week for a 6 TB disk but gives confidence that the disk is OK and will not give trouble when put into service.

Mods: Feel free to censor commercial names.

While I don't speak for the moderators, we're not touchy about that sort of thing here (we have no sponsorship or allegiances) - unless we suspect deliberate promotion or spamming.

As far as I am concerned there is no problem with specifying the names of companies that members have found to give good or bad service. My main gripe as a moderator is members who join specifically to promote commercial products and those are considered on a case by case basis.

a Startech caddy which supports SMART
I've never managed to find one that does that. I've got two different types which connect via USB and both whine about lack of support in the controller OWTTE.
I have had bad experiences with terribly poor packaging with Amazon hard disk suppliers
I've always been concerned about, but have never had problems with, disks and their lack of packaging. Especially when Seagate used to say on their warranty RMA pages that disks must be packed in the proper boxes and with the proper foam etc. otherwise any claim was invalid.
And nowadays things just seem to turn up in a plastic bag in a cardboard sleeve, pushed through the letter box and a 2 foot drop to the floor (well I suppose it is slightly better than having your package hurled through an upstairs window...).

Where did the 2TB drive come from? Please could you post the output from the hard drive diagnostics?

I ran the disk diagnostic and attach a screenshot. I feel sure there’ll be a log or text file output of this diagnostic but I haven’t found it, so apologies for my having sent a screenshot. Thankfully, it all fit on one page.

I take note of the other comments on the quality of HDD from certain sources and I remember reading similar comments a while back when I was searching for information on which HDD to buy. And if it comes down to ordering a new HDD, I will follow aw1’s recommendation.

Attachments

• 38D25279-8CFD-4BE3-86E7-BE19F19C6D54.png
    38D25279-8CFD-4BE3-86E7-BE19F19C6D54.png
    136.5 KB · Views: 16
companies that members have found to give good or bad service.
Scan definitely come in the latter category. I've only used CCL Online once and they were fine.
I used Dabs for a bit (even when BT bought them) but eventually the BT cancer f***ed them up.
Maplin were off my Xmas card list, after the cheap PVR fiasco. Good job I got my money back rather than sit on the credit note.

I agree with prpr nothing looks wrong with the hard drive. No other ideas I am afraid.
I appreciate all the kind help and advice. With the 1TB Seagate Pipeline HDD installed, the HDR behaves similarly but not identically. Interesting and intriguing. I have some more troubleshooting plans, including ‘scoping the power supply whilst making the unit misbehave, and will report back with anything conclusions.

It strikes me there are two possibilities: 1. Your PSU is having problems supplying the extra load of a larger HDD; 2. ...

Prompted me to look on the 2 HDDs:

Original 500GB says +5V 0.316A; +12V 0.155A
2TB says. +5V 0.55A; +12V 0.37A

That’s quite a difference. I never considered the power requirements might be bigger for a larger HDD and certainly not so much bigger.

Worth further investigation.

I've never managed to find one that does that. I've got two different types which connect via USB and both whine about lack of support in the controller OWTTE.
The most recent SMART supporting Startech caddy I have bought has model number SAT3510BMU33.

Back