After around 4 or 5 years of providing sterling service, my Humax HDR Fox-T2 appears to be destined for the skip. However, before I replace it, I would welcome any input/advice regarding its current state:
- Before the problems arose yesterday, it was running software v1.03.12 and was connected to my (Panasonic) TV via HDMI.
- Upon switching on from stand-by, the unit initially behaved as expected – displaying the current channel on its display. On the TV however, whilst sound was audible, no picture was visible. The unit responded to a channel change with the sound (and Humax Display) changing accordingly but still no picture appeared. A further channel change (via the EPG) produced the same – sound with no picture.
- The EPG appears to be fully functioning save for the ‘small screen’ in the top left hand corner which remains blank. Access to the setup/settings menus etc. is also achievable.
- Powering both TV and Humax fully off, leaving for 15 minutes, then restarting produced the Humax ‘splash’ screen at start-up followed by some random green & black horizontal flashing lines. The only way to bypass the flashing lines appears to be by entering either the Menu or EPG and then closing the same, after which the ‘sound but no picture’ scenario returns.
- The Humax was tried on all 3 HDMI inputs that the TV has and with a different HDMI lead – but to no avail. A Blu-Ray player works as expected on any of the HDMI inputs and with the HDMI Lead originally used on the Humax.
- Entering the Humax Internet Portal and then BBC iPlayer produced all of the expected menus/functionality but upon attempting to play anything the Humax ‘refused’, appearing to be stuck in a loop of buffering then attempting to play before once more buffering, ad infinitum.
- All recorded programmes appear to be available but none will play (or even play the audio element of the recording as the ‘live TV’ does), instead displaying a ‘scrambled or unavailable’ message after approx. 5 seconds. A minor point that puzzles – two of the recordings (neither of which have been watched whatsoever) are now displaying the same preview image in the recorded items list.
- Whilst in Live TV, pressing pause responds accordingly and a subsequent press of play likewise (notwithstanding no picture – sound only). Pressing rewind and then play – produces broken up audio playback.
- Cycling through all the resolutions of the TV failed to produce a picture.
- I’ve successfully installed the Custom Firmware and also ran Fix Disk from the Maintenance mode via Telnet – the problem of no picture remains! Fix Disk did not appear to identify any problems. I answered ‘no’ to the delete loop query (as I don’t believe that to be an issue?), running it without any options, such as fix disk -x. To be quite honest however, I am a little uncomfortable delving this deeply into problem solving without some specific advice that the wiser amongst you might to be able to supply!!
I hope that the above is not too long winded; it might help somebody, help me – otherwise it’s the skip!