Sound but no picture - to the skip or not.......?

Wessex666

After around 4 or 5 years of providing sterling service, my Humax HDR Fox-T2 appears to be destined for the skip. However, before I replace it, I would welcome any input/advice regarding its current state:

• Before the problems arose yesterday, it was running software v1.03.12 and was connected to my (Panasonic) TV via HDMI.

• Upon switching on from stand-by, the unit initially behaved as expected – displaying the current channel on its display. On the TV however, whilst sound was audible, no picture was visible. The unit responded to a channel change with the sound (and Humax Display) changing accordingly but still no picture appeared. A further channel change (via the EPG) produced the same – sound with no picture.

• The EPG appears to be fully functioning save for the ‘small screen’ in the top left hand corner which remains blank. Access to the setup/settings menus etc. is also achievable.

• Powering both TV and Humax fully off, leaving for 15 minutes, then restarting produced the Humax ‘splash’ screen at start-up followed by some random green & black horizontal flashing lines. The only way to bypass the flashing lines appears to be by entering either the Menu or EPG and then closing the same, after which the ‘sound but no picture’ scenario returns.

• The Humax was tried on all 3 HDMI inputs that the TV has and with a different HDMI lead – but to no avail. A Blu-Ray player works as expected on any of the HDMI inputs and with the HDMI Lead originally used on the Humax.

• Entering the Humax Internet Portal and then BBC iPlayer produced all of the expected menus/functionality but upon attempting to play anything the Humax ‘refused’, appearing to be stuck in a loop of buffering then attempting to play before once more buffering, ad infinitum.

• All recorded programmes appear to be available but none will play (or even play the audio element of the recording as the ‘live TV’ does), instead displaying a ‘scrambled or unavailable’ message after approx. 5 seconds. A minor point that puzzles – two of the recordings (neither of which have been watched whatsoever) are now displaying the same preview image in the recorded items list.

• Whilst in Live TV, pressing pause responds accordingly and a subsequent press of play likewise (notwithstanding no picture – sound only). Pressing rewind and then play – produces broken up audio playback.

• Cycling through all the resolutions of the TV failed to produce a picture.

• I’ve successfully installed the Custom Firmware and also ran Fix Disk from the Maintenance mode via Telnet – the problem of no picture remains! Fix Disk did not appear to identify any problems. I answered ‘no’ to the delete loop query (as I don’t believe that to be an issue?), running it without any options, such as fix disk -x. To be quite honest however, I am a little uncomfortable delving this deeply into problem solving without some specific advice that the wiser amongst you might to be able to supply!!

I hope that the above is not too long winded; it might help somebody, help me – otherwise it’s the skip!

The key to all this is that the normal Humax user interface is visible, but not the live broadcast video - particularly the picture-in-picture which accompanies the Guide screen, and yet broadcast sound is present. You will appreciate that all this info (user interface, video, audio) is sent to the TV on the HDMI, and the TV makes no distinction between video for the user interface or video for the broadcast picture, so it seems the HDMI output from the Humax is not implicated.

I'm sorry to say it does appear terminal, as the fault seems to be located in the front end, ie the tuners/decoders. The only thing I can think of which offers any hope is to disconnect the internal hard drive and see what happens. I was going to suggest re-flashing the firmware, but installing CF has done that (in effect).

Have you tested what happens when you connect via the SCART socket. Assuming you have a TV that can takes SCART.
This could help to determine/confirm whether the picture is being "generated" or not.

HarveyB - Thanks. I had already tried a SCART Lead but omitted to mention that in my original post.

Black Hole - Thanks. This evening I managed to get a picture for 10 seconds(ish); then the screen froze with the image, whilst the audio continued. A subsequent change of channel and the frozen image disappeared and output was as previously described. A short while later the unit 'appeared' to power off (nil audio output/EPG/Humax Front Panel etc.) - although clearly the unit is powered as the aerial feed to the TV goes via the Humax and when it is switched off the TV Signal disappears.

I think as suggested above - terminal and off to the skip. I wish the FVP 4000 was available right now.........

I think as suggested above - terminal and off to the skip. I wish the FVP 4000 was available right now.........
I will happily pay postage to take it off your hands; send me a PM if interested. FVP-4000T should be available from Monday but this is new software so it may take a few updates to be reliable.

I can't see that you have mentioned trying a reset. Have you tried a reset (without format)?

It's another thing that I missed off the original post - I have indeed carried out a factory reset.

Now available for purchase from hughes.co.uk (also available from Hughes stores).....

Ordered one for delivery on Wednesday :)

I will happily pay postage to take it off your hands; send me a PM if interested. FVP-4000T should be available from Monday but this is new software so it may take a few updates to be reliable.

Don't skip it! Auction it on Ebay as not working/for parts, you will probably get £20 to £40 for it

Given that there is some residual value, I'll probably put it on EBay in due course

Thanks all for your helpful responses.

Back