Sound is too dynamic?

Thanks Mike, the Dolby logo pops up on HiDef channels on my amp (incidentally the same Onkyo model as yours).

Does this mean that Dolby cannot be sent from iplayer?

It is possible to have multi-channel sound in the MP4 format that BBC Iplayer uses, having said that, I have never found any in an an Iplayer stream
BTW
Someone is bound to point this out so I might as well do it. Dolby sound is not currently transmitted at all on U.K. Hi-Def. terrestrial TV channels, they transmit HE-AAC/AAC, the Humax transcodes this into Dolby Digital (AC3) before sending it to HDMI and SP-DIF outputs. So Multichannel sound is transmitted on Hi-Def. TV Freeview channels but not in Dolby format, the Humax was one of the first (if not the first) to transcode into Dolby, making it one of the few to supply multichannel sound in the early days of Hi-Def. freeview

Thanks Mike, the Dolby logo pops up on HiDef channels on my amp (incidentally the same Onkyo model as yours).

A man of taste, I see!:D

It's all rather complicated, because the T2 itself has an option to send out stereo or surround, the latter of which would presumably be detected by the amp as DD.

I just checked on my TV and Freesat shows DD but Freeview shows HE AAC 5.1 on BBC HD. So, does the T2 convert to DD in surround mode? I am thoroughly confused!:confused:

See #84. You will notice on the Humax Front display (no 5) that Dolby Digital source icon never lights up for transmitted programs but does light up if you play say an MKV file with DD sound, the reason is that, in the first instance, the source is not Dolby it is AAC which is converted to DD in the Humax

See #84. You will notice on the Humax Front display (no 5) that Dolby Digital source icon never lights up for transmitted programs but does light up if you play say an MKV file with DD sound, the reason is that, in the first instance, the source is not Dolby it is AAC which is converted to DD in the Humax

Ah! Crossed posts! Thanks for that! You have restored my faith in Humax, if not in the BBC.

I am wondering now what my TV passes on to the Amp...

It is possible to have multi-channel sound in the MP4 format that BBC Iplayer uses, having said that, I have never found any in an an Iplayer stream
BTW
Someone is bound to point this out so I might as well do it. Dolby sound is not currently transmitted at all on U.K. Hi-Def. terrestrial TV channels, they transmit HE-AAC/AAC, the Humax transcodes this into Dolby Digital (AC3) before sending it to HDMI and SP-DIF outputs. So Multichannel sound is transmitted on Hi-Def. TV Freeview channels but not in Dolby format, the Humax was one of the first (if not the first) to transcode into Dolby, making it one of the few to supply multichannel sound in the early days of Hi-Def. freeview

Hi,

Point of Information:
The DigitalStream DHR was the first FreeView+HD box to have DD Transcoding available (Beta 18/06/2010 Official 30/06/2010) . The Humax was launched later in the year (first delivered to AVF member 10/08/2010) after Wimbledon and The World Cup. The Humax did have HDMI DD transcoding first as the DS only had S/PDIF until a later update.

The BBC have used a number of different encoders to deliver AAC 5.1 and some of these have caused problems especially for Broadcom based boxes like the HX and the DS. The BBC mandated a change in DownMix method from 5.1 to 2.0 and this caused problems initially. The BBC then changed Encoder to one that it seems is more like (or is) Dolby Pulse (a superset of AAC) and this caused more problems for Broadcom chips !!!

There are manufacturer options within the Broadcom SOC FW build for output level, downmix method, and may well be other advanced controls as well. The overall output from the Humax is lower than that of the DigitalStream especially for surround programs and, while to me the sound is the same when the level is boosted at the Amp, some find the lower level causes them to feel they miss elements of the sound.

Pete

Back