Still having the original HDD in the original type t2 anyone?

I provide occasional support to chums with original 500GB disks. Neither has ever had a disk-related problem. My two HDRs both came with 1TB disks, replaced with 2TB Pipelines around 25000 power-on hours ago. The 1TB disks didn't fail but, (based on a sample of two), the HDRs fitted with them crashed more frequently than those with 500GB disks.

Ours are both original - 500GB and 1TB.
The 1TB is 7 years old (bought 2 Nov 2012), not sure if the 500 is older or newer, but at least 6 I think.
Not looked at the stats lately though, but the 500 doesn't do much work.

I was curious to see how many of us still have the original disks?
Three of mine are still in the original units. My main unit has done almost 60000 hours. The second one 20000 hours. The third one is somewhat unreliable (the unit itself, not the disk) and is currently off.
The fourth one (all are 500GB) has been re-purposed in a PC as a backup drive and a 2TB fitted instead.
None of them have any reallocated sectors.

Ditto: four in use and one cold spare (about to go into service in another location), all 500GB, and three of them with stellar hours.

Me too, apart from having to return my first T2 the day after I bought it I have never had a single issue, the 9200 I had hooked up to a 20" Dell monitor in my kitchen is also still going strong though I replaced it with a 24" smart TV recently to gain some space.

The late single tuner here, bought* Nov 2014 has its original 500GB disk in good order at 15432 (83%) hours and a 4201 (95%) power cycles. It's on from 5 to 12pm so 7h per day which may help. As for problems, if anything it's needed less errors fixing as it's got older, which may be to due far fewer network-induced crashes than in the past.

* Bought on eBay just before the last batch of Manager's Special refurbs appeared on Humax Direct. From the paperwork it was returned to John Lewis under warranty for a rebooting issue, was returned with updated firmware and then sold.

2*HDR-T2 with original HDDs, 8+ years, 24/7 usage.
2*Foxsat HDRs, not yet commissioned - awaiting dish install, 1 low use, one SH.
Humax BT boxes, one new via BT Broadband and one SH (£20) original HDDs. 24/7 on like the two HDRs for one; occasional standby/record, standby/playback for the other.

1*Panasonic DVR, original disk. bought used (£2 + £13 for a new handset) usage unknown but seems to have been decommissioned for several years before appearing for sale, by the dates of remaining recordings!

I provide occasional support to chums with original 500GB disks. Neither has ever had a disk-related problem. My two HDRs both came with 1TB disks, replaced with 2TB Pipelines around 25000 power-on hours ago. The 1TB disks didn't fail but, (based on a sample of two), the HDRs fitted with them crashed more frequently than those with 500GB disks.
interesting even on a sample of two

I think my decision not to fiddle with replacing them is sort of vindicated.

Last edited:
Just realised you're after the original twin-tuner V1 version.

The one here that came from a charity shop with a broken PSU PCB hasn't been switched on for some time here going by the number of packaged that have just updated and has 15224 (83%) hours and 3323 (97%) power cycles so actually less then the V2. I'm not going to pull it apart this evening to look for batch dates that will indicate how old it is.

Humax1:

9Power_On_Hours-O--CK5841103403400034%-
10Spin_Retry_CountPO--C-0100100097100%-
12Power_Cycle_Count-O--CK132709909902099%-
Thanks for bringing this to my attention; 34% is only a few more years.

Humax2:

9Power_On_Hours-O--CK3175606406400064%-
10Spin_Retry_CountPO--C-0100100097100%-
12Power_Cycle_Count-O--CK180709909902099%-

Anybody beat my 64.7k hours?
Mine still has the original 500 Gb disc, but I wonder if the unit is giving up. It's started switching stations round the channels. For example, Film 4 (supposed to be on channel 14) disappears. Channel 14 now features More4. Channel 18 is not there at all. So an automatic retune puts all back to where it should be until I switch on again, and the same station/channel errors occur. I have CF.
Any thoughts? Or do I need a new Humax>

Back