Streaming MP3 Music From Laptop

Jm5654

My T2 is connected to my home network via a dongle. I uploaded some MP3 files on my laptop. By accessing 'Media', 'Storage' - 'Network', I could view my music folder off my laptop, and the folders/files inside it, and successfully play my MP3 files. I uploaded about 30gb of music and it still worked. Now I've uploaded 55gb of mp3 music onto my laptop it won't work. When I access the music folder on the T2 it used to display all the folders and files of mp3 music on my laptop and I could play them. Now when I access the music file I just get the folder 'upper folder' which when pressed just returns me back up to the music file. What's gone wrong? Have I passed some file or storage size limit? Strange that it worked with around 30-35gb of music on my laptop and not 55gb. Frustrating after taking all the time to upload all my cd's as mp3 files! Any help gratefully appreciated.

I can successfully view and stream videos and photographs over wifi using the T2. It makes it all the more confusing I can't even view the music files let alone stream them.

It's not the file size being too large. I backed up my 55gb on a hard drive. I then deleted files from the music folder I stream music from my T2 - the folder that I had succesfully done so before. I deleted down to 35gb when I last remember streaming suceesfully from the T2 - same message when accessing the music folder on the T2 - 'upper folder' instead of showing me the files like it did when it was working/playing. I even got rid of it down to 1gb and it still doesn't work. I'm not doing anything different now to when it was working. Seems a case of one day it works, the next it doesn't.

You haven't, I think, mentioned the method of access to the files from the T2 - whether by DLNA,NFS,SMB or other.
This might make a difference, as might also the OS on the laptop.
At one stage I found my DLNA server on a Win7 PC wasn't updating the records of what to distribute/make available.
When you pared down the files to 35GB, did you remove only and all the newer additions, or were you merely concerned with the total amount stored?
I assume you took the precaution of rebooting all systems before testing.

You haven't, I think, mentioned the method of access to the files from the T2
Really?
By accessing 'Media', 'Storage' - 'Network', I could view my music folder off my laptop, and the folders/files inside it, and successfully play my MP3 files.

I uploaded about 30gb of music and it still worked. Now I've uploaded 55gb of mp3 music onto my laptop it won't work. When I access the music folder on the T2 it used to display all the folders and files of mp3 music on my laptop and I could play them. Now when I access the music file I just get the folder 'upper folder' which when pressed just returns me back up to the music file. What's gone wrong?
What I think has gone wrong is you have forgotten how to do it. In addition to Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network, you also need Media >> Media (yellow) >> Music.

An alternative approach is to play music from your laptop over Bluetooth to your sound system (using any connected device with inbuilt Bluetooth such as an internet radio or a Bluetooth adaptor connected to a spare audio input).

Thanks for your replies. No I haven't forgotten how to do it. I use the yellow button to change between media hence I know I can still stream video and photographs. When I use the yellow button (media) to select music and access the music folder the file is empty apart from 'upper folder'. The file used to have all my mp3 folders and files available to play. They are still in exactly the same location on my laptop. Both laptop and T2 were rebooted. I am on windows 7 and using dlna to stream.. The confusing thing is nothing has changed in terms of file location or the way I'm accessing the music since it last worked.

Apologies, the lack of .mp3 content is symptomatic of not having selected "music" - you were not explicit.

No worries. I'm frustrated after uploading all those CD's as MP3's! Humax support have no idea how to solve the problem apart from another factory reset.

Well the factory rest has made no difference. I can't stream mp3's but can stream photographs and videos.

Ok then, what about that DLNA server on the Win7 laptop? Have there been any updates (to that, or any Msoft Win7 updates relating to network)?

Is there a way to refresh any DLNA cache held on the Humax (I would have thought the factory reset would take care of that)?

Strangely a system restore on the laptop back to a point when streaming worked fine worked for me. For a while. Then the same thing happened again. Another system restore fixed it. I think there must be an automatic process on the laptop somewhere that changes the settings and then drops communication with the T2. Don't know what it is though!

Paranoid thinking says automatic updates are responsible for it - what better way to explain the happening (unless you know you've switched them off)

Automatic updates are off in general. However on Windows Media Player there is no option to turn them off entirely - just to select frequency. I think the T2 interfaces with Media Player.

I have given up and bought the Roku 2 for £60. This streams music fine and doesn't fall over when the PC has routine processes running like the T2 does. It also adds Netflix etc which the T2 doesn't have.

Using the WMP server? I don't understand what the difference would be, but I suppose there is some latitude in how a DLNA client chooses to interrogate the server.

I have tried adjusting all the user variables at the laptop end including WMP auto updates. Even changing anti virus software. I have also tried keeping the laptop on in case re-booting was causing the link with the T2 to drop. The T2 will work for no longer than 24hrs before it loses the ability to read music files which is only temporarily solved by a system restore. The Roku 2 can read files regardless of what may be going on at the other end.

Back