Stuck on deleting

jon doh

I've seen other posts on this, but afraid they use technology I don't understand. My Humax HDR Fox T2 is stuck on Deleting, and I can't access installation, software or reformat etc. I also use a macbook and most ideas refer to windows OS. Does anyone know a step by step guide idiots like me can understand to get rid of this, before I go crazy?

You will need the custom firmware and Telnet. Telnet is a way of opening a text command console over a network, and will be available on a Mac just the same as Wndows. Just google it. The situation for users unwilling or unable to install custom firmware is covered in Things Every... (click) section 10.

Once you understand how to open a Telnet session, install custom firmware and run the disk repair stuff. It is all fully explained if you are prepared to read, start here: Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click).

Everything going well until I got a power cut in the middle, and a connection closed by foreign host message. This is how far I got. Now the Hummy goes to start up, screen, counts down to 50, and shuts off, so I can't reconnect. Help!
Telnet screen messages below:
Checking disk sda

Unmounted /dev/sda1
Unmounted /dev/sda2
Unmounted /dev/sda3

Running short disk self test

No pending sectors found - skipping sector repair
Using superblock 0 on sda1
Using superblock 0 on sda2
Using superblock 0 on sda3

Checking partition /dev/sda3...
e2fsck 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
Checking for bad blocks (read-only test): done
/dev/sda3: Updating bad block inode.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity

/lost+found not found. Create? yes
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

/dev/sda3: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
/dev/sda3: 11/655776 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 79731/2622611 blocks

Checking partition /dev/sda1...
Checking for bad blocks (read-only test): done
/dev/sda1: Updating bad block inode.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
/lost+found not found. Create? yes

Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

/dev/sda1: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
/dev/sda1: 14/65808 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 13391/263064 blocks
Creating swap file...
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 1073737728 bytes
UUID=bfcc6942-0fe2-48bd-a05f-db4b321c60c9

Checking partition /dev/sda2...
/dev/sda2: recovering journal

Checking for bad blocks (read-only test): Connection closed by foreign host.

af123 recently PMed a user a fix for a unit that was constantly shutting down, so it's probably best to wait until he is available

Many thanks Ezra... In the meantime I've reloaded the official firmware, 1.02.32, and got it restarting again. I had originally loaded 1.03.11 mod 2.22 custom firmware. Before I reload, do you think this was the problem?

Loading 1.03.11 mod 2.22 custom firmware won't have caused the * Deleting . . . problem. You should be safe to install Custom Firmware again, but if you do get * Deleting back then running Maintenance mode >> Fix Disk >> "Are you having problems with a delete loop" = Y is the way to fix it. You was just very unfortunate to get a power outage during the process

I loaded them as first step to Fix disc after I followed your link? Shall I then just do the disk repair through telnet on the 1.02.32 I've got?

sorry realised this last message isn't clear. I started with the *Deleting issue, followed the Fix Disk link, then had this won't restart issue after I lost power/connection during the programme as listed above.

Ignore last two messages Ezra, I just got the last part of your message through, and will do as you suggest. Many thanks

:):) Thanks a lot!! I did just as you and black hole said and I've cleared the loop. Everything now works normally. I really appreciate your help - enjoy the rest of the weekend..

It looks like the HDR is stuck on deleting. I moved a few files from one folder to another and now the HDR doesn't see them at all. According to webif the files I intended to move are still in the original folder. When I press media on the remote 'deleting' appears in top right of screen .I tried turning off content share and resetting DLNA database but still the hdr is not seeing the files. I ran fix disc before but do I need to do anything else to prevent the files I am moving from being deleted?

It looks like the HDR is stuck on deleting. I moved a few files from one folder to another and now the HDR doesn't see them at all. According to webif the files I intended to move are still in the original folder. When I press media on the remote 'deleting' appears in top right of screen .
Sounds like the delete loop problem to me. Run fix-disk again and answer yes to the question that refers to the delete loop.

Hello All,
First Post. Am running CFW 2.21

I discovered my box stuck on deleting this evening after trying to work out why it had missed two scheduled recordings. After a while of watching, realised it seemed intent on munching its way through ALL my recordings so I shut down and depowered. Having come across this post, and after reading the guide to disk repair, decided to try a telnet and put into maintenance mode. Telnetted in ok, selected item 1 and answered Y to the confirmation. Box rebooted and went into 59..58..57.. but shuts down on 50 and displays (time?) of 01:00. What to do now?

Cold power recycle makes no difference. shuts down on 50 (Can hear the click of things shutting off).

Should I try to reload the CFW 2.21 .hdf file I have. Should I try reloading official firmware. Or how else can I get it out of the shutting down cycle?

But then I'll need the CFW in order to use telnet to try maint'ce mode again. And if I can't get it into maintenance to run the disk repair - any other offers on sorting out what looks like disk issues.

Any help gratefully received. If any further info required I will gladly try and supply.

Cheers
Gromwood
Computer literate but not huge experience of Linux based ext2/ext3 filesystems.

Where is the '01:00' displayed after shut-down? If the '01:00' is displayed on the Humax front display then its hasn't fully shut down and it might be worth trying to log in using Telnet. I wouldn't try to install any other firmware at present, hopefully af123 may be along soon

I'll send you a link for a firmware image to load that will clear the delete and maintenance mode flags. That should let you boot back up into normal mode. Then you should reload the latest released CFW and try maintenance mode again. The disk does need checking.

Thanks for quick replies guys. Ezra - Yes 01:00 shown on front of box. (Didn't have TV on) plus some other small symbols I couldn't quite make out.

af123 - many thanks for the link. Am about to be out for most of today, so will take a closer look tonight. Have already warned Mrs Wifehouse that her telly watching may be in jeopardy.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

gromwood

Hello, Used the firmware image that af123 kindly linked and box now starting normally and NOT showing "deleting *" message permanently.
System Info shows the following
S/W version FHTCP 1.03.12
Loader a7.30
System ID 80BC:7E00
Update date 7 Feb 2014
Micom version 9.3

So I will now, as per af123's post, install the latest released CFW which I make to be 2.22. Just doing that now whilst I prepare this post.

OK, 2.22 CFW went in ok. Now in Maintenance mode and chose option 1 - check and fix disk errors, with no additional options
Since it wasn't now permanently showing "deleting *" message, I answered "No" to the "Are you having problems with looping delete question.

Out of Maintenance mode and using the web i/face disk reallocated sector count is 1165 was 949, but apart from that I'm not aware of seeing any other messages which indicated sever disk problems or indeed any fixes applied, although I can see there are some log files - thought I wouldn't know where to start with them

Happy to post any further results if need be if you experts think useful.

I will keep an eye on behaviour on next few days and see what happens

Mnay thanks for the help so far.

Back