Subtitle Sync Solved With Firestick & Kodi

KTO2

Posting this in case it helps someone else.

It has been an annoyance over previous years with subtitles going out of sync on some programmes so have had a fiddle today and this works like a dream for me.

Put Kodi on Firestick and set up an SMB share to the Humax. The files including SD need to be decrypted otherwise Kodi will not play them. With Kodi unlike some other players on the Firestick you do not lose the ff/rwd facility and that is providing the other players will play the TS files to start with or even recognise DVB subtitles. You also do not lose any other Kodi player functions including the ability to delete.

(needing to decrypt SD was tested on 'War Factories' from channel Yesterday and 'Gangster Empire' from CCXTV which albeit doesn't have subtitles but would not play until I ran decrypt)

The other bonus for me is I no longer need two remotes to get the volume to where it needs to be. WHEHEY!

I have just set the Humax up as DLNA via Kodi and the Firestick and the DVB subs work but it loses the ability to ff/rwd and pause.

I have only tried DLNA on stuff already decrypted so don't know what would happen if they weren't decrypted and no point me trying due to the loss of the above functions.

I have only tried DLNA on stuff already decrypted so don't know what would happen if they weren't decrypted and no point me trying due to the loss of the above functions.
Should be no difference for StDef, but it would be worth confirming non-decrypted HiDef can be played via DLNA by the Firestick, because that would demonstrate the Firestick has a certificate to negotiate protected delivery (DTCP).

I have just recorded some of BBC News HD which shows on the Humax as encrypted and:

SMB sees the file but won't play it
FTP sees the file but won't play it
DLNA does not even see the file

One other thing I have just done which I did not do yesterday is test FTP and providing things are decrypted it works the same as SMB with no loss of functions or subs going out of sync.

Did that earlier, waited until it was showing as indexed and then rebooted and double checked it was showing as indexed first before trying to play via DLNA.

How do you square that with your own previous report?:

I use a Firestick 4K and a HDR Fox T2 and my two pence worth is:

Yes, VLC will play encrypted HD via DLNA but you lose the ffwd/rwd functions and the picture to me appears choppy (as if frames are being dropped) plus the audio is slightly out of sync.

What's needs squaring?

This thread is about Kodi on the Firestick in conjunction with the Humax, not VLC on the Firestick in conjunction with the Humax.

If someone has the same need as me regarding subtitles and has a Firestick; Kodi solves the problem. I couldn't care less about whether it is DLNA, FTP or SMB I just want it to work and play smoothly with the least amount of hassle and without also losing any functions e.g. ff/rwd etc which VLC does.

If people do have the same need then putting Kodi on the Firestick and setting it up is no harder than putting CFW on the Humax; so if they have managed that they will be able to manage Kodi.

What other solution do you have to the subtitles going out of sync on certain programmes/channels that once set up can be left alone and has no need for tinkering every time you are watching a programme and the problem arises?

Based on experience you can get other DLNA players (but not all) to work on encrypted on the Firestick but not without loss of subtitles &/or ff/rwd &/or pause &/or stuttering as if the frame rate isn't quite right.

The last one I had working was called Archos but it is no longer available and has been replaced by a fork called Nova which to all intensive purposes looks and feels the same but does not work the same as Archos did.

I’m disgusted that Humax, well aware of this problem, is refusing to do anything about it. I shouldn’t have to buy and subscribe to another product to resolve an issue with a box that should work independently. I’ve done everything that Humax support advised, finally doing a full factory reset, losing all of my recordings, but it still didn’t work. My hubby is profoundly Deaf and wholly relies on subtitles to watch all TV, so this is taking that enjoyment away from him. We are now forced to give the box away and buy a Toshiba freeview recorder, as these do not have the problem (our old box was a Toshiba). I’m gutted that Humax is refusing to help and will ensure that as many people as possible are informed of this issue and of Humax’s refusal to take action.

I’m gutted that Humax is refusing to help
I'm sorry, but in my opinion you are being unreasonable. This topic is located in the HDR-FOX custom firmware section of the forum - we are specifically discussing issues involving the custom firmware and consequences thereof - nothing to do with Humax whatsoever. Even if we were discussing the standard operation of a HDR-FOX, that particular model has been out of production and not available (retail) or in warranty for several years - why would Humax continue to support it?

Your only legitimate complaint is if you purchased a current unit, it is within warranty, and the unit is not performing a function that it was advertised to do at the time you purchased it. Within a reasonable time of purchase, you have the option to reject any purchase and have your money back from the retailer if the item is not as described. Your only claim on the manufacturer is where they offer a warranty over and above your statutory rights against the retailer (the retailer is the only party you have a contract with).

Besides which, some things are not under the manufacturer's control. If the broadcasters alter the specification of their broadcasts (for example), the manufacturer cannot be expected to update all the equipment that might already be in the field to accommodate the new specification - particularly not items which are well past their support life (as the HDR-FOX is).

will ensure that as many people as possible are informed of this issue and of Humax’s refusal to take action.
I recognise you have a problem, but you appear to be barking up the wrong tree by slagging off Humax about it. It is not unreasonable to comment that the HDR-FOX is not now satisfying your needs - but that is your problem, not theirs. Time to get a new PVR.

Last edited:
We are now forced to give the box away and buy a Toshiba freeview recorder, as these do not have the problem (our old box was a Toshiba). I’m gutted that Humax is refusing to help and will ensure that as many people as possible are informed of this issue and of Humax’s refusal to take action.
Which Humax box did you have? The problem with subtitles on older Humax models is well known on the forum and as my hearing began to get worse, subtitles became more important to me. I bought an FVP-5000T because it has impeccable subtitle performance; I am told the Humax Youview boxes also handle subtitles properly. I agree that Humax should have done more to make subtitles work properly on older boxes but that won't happen now.

Also:
  • the issue, according to reports, occurs on playback only;
  • this work-around doesn't require investment, only inconvenience:
    ... pressing the "Instant Replay" button, set to the minimum time of 7 seconds, puts the subtitles back in sync for a while.
  • OP has provided a general solution which is still less expensive than a new PVR, and could offer you further benefits ("smart TV" apps, etc);
  • if your TV is a "smart TV", especially using Android, you may be able to install Kodi directly to the TV and avoid a separate device.

Fair point, I do recall that from trying to watch Parasite (supplied for review in the Korean-only version) using unofficial subtitles .

Back