Subtitles

buxtonlad

My wife rules on subtitles and with this box we seem to have to turn on/off subtitles on order to get them to display?

Is this a common fault with this box?

Certainly not. Unless selected in the settings option. However when watching recorded programmes subtitles seem to take a fair while to appear.

What's so hard to understand?

I'm asking a question and therefore a question mark is appropriate in such circumstances!!!!

I'm not a Canadian or Australian. It's a simple question. Does anybody experience issues with subtitles not appearing even though the system settings are fixed as on?

My wife rules on subtitles and with this box we seem to have to turn on/off subtitles on order to get them to display?

If you mean that you have to turn subtitles from on to off and then back to on again to get them to display when playing back a recorded programme - I have had similar problems on a 2000T. Also, you say system settings are set to on. On the 2000T, although you can change the subtitles setting in "Settings/Preferences/Screen Display/Subtitle Display" it is not permanent. It is just a long-winded alternative to pressing the SUB button. It is probably not a fault but a feature!

I'm asking a question and therefore a question mark is appropriate in such circumstances!!!!
No, you're not, you're making a statement. Putting a question mark on the end of a statement doesn't turn it into a question (although some Antipodeans (and others) seem to think it does (often characterised by a rising inflexion at the end of the sentence - difficult to convey in text)).
e.g.
"This is a question?" is not a question.
"Is this a question?" is a question.

What (as you say) is so hard to understand?

New member:). Pick Pick. = Ex member.:(
buxtonlad. I had the same problem a long time ago on either my T2 or my foxsat. I can't remember which and I also can't remember what the solution was. As to whether it's common on your box, I don't know.

I'm just trying to encourage people to state their problem clearly, and ask the question they want answered in a manner we can all understand, so we can provide relevant help without having to ask what the hell the OP meant. I don't think that's too much to ask when somebody wants us to apply our collective brains to their problem.

Read the original post again and tell me what it means (from what it says, not from what we might have found out subsequently).

New member:). Pick Pick. = Ex member.:(
buxtonlad. I had the same problem a long time ago on either my T2 or my foxsat. I can't remember which and I also can't remember what the solution was. As to whether it's common on your box, I don't know.

It was the Foxsat-HDR. There are two ways of controlling subtitle display, the global preference setting and the sub button. It appears the two can get out of sync. When this happened after pausing live content and resuming playback the sub-titles appeared if present in the stream. The solution was to toggle the global option on/off a few times. The strange thing was it didn't work on regional BBC channels re-assigned from your normal postcode allocation. Simply pressing Exit got rid anyway. I don't have the box but it does seem a similar issue, Humax do appear to recycle code and as a result re-introduce issues long fixed on the box that originally had the issue.

Read the original post again and tell me what it means
we seem to have to turn on/off subtitles on order to get them to display?
Meaning: They have to turn subtitles off then back on to get them to display. {Statement}
Meaning: Is it a common fault with their box?{Question}
What's hard about that? It was just the bit about his wife that fogged the issue a bit for me to start with.
I'm just trying to encourage people to state the problem clearly
Although your encouragement is laudable, lessons in the use of the English language and on how to ask questions can possibly piss people off. I feel it needs to be confined to The Arms. I note that EEPhil managed to actually give him an answer, and so did I, albeit mine was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard other than to confirm that some, if not all, Humaxes do have problems with sub titles. The symptoms that I had were the opposite to the OP's though, insofar as I couldn't get them to turn off permanently. IIRC it was GLT who pointed me in the right direction.

Edit:
@GLT. So it was you then, and IDRC

I'm just trying to encourage people to state their problem clearly, and ask the question they want answered in a manner we can all understand, so we can provide relevant help without having to ask what the hell the OP meant. I don't think that's too much to ask when somebody wants us to apply our collective brains to their problem.

Read the original post again and tell me what it means (from what it says, not from what we might have found out subsequently).

OK... So what's not clear about the question:-

"with this box we seem to have to turn on/off subtitles on order to get them to display?

Is this a common fault with this box?"

Your being a bit of a dick to be totally frank. Predictive text can be hit and miss. I had not noticed that the word relied had changed. Does not affect the question which followed though does it? Apologies if that question mark offends you.

Your hardly any help though are you? Yes that was another question!!!!

Edit:
@GLT. So it was you then, and IDRC

What was me ? Somewhat ironic in a thread that has descended into a rather pointless discussion about the English language. All I did was relate what I remember about the issue which is quite a long time ago. At 72 somewhat happy that I do not appear to currently appear to have signs of dementia :)

Mind you I do have some problems in remembering names :eek:, remind me again what's your name :D

To paraphrase above where I said it was you, it reads "If I remember correctly, GLT pointed me in the right direction to fix the problems that I had with sub-titles. And yes, it was a long time ago, that's why I couldn't remember the fix.

I note that EEPhil managed to actually give him an answer, and so did I, albeit mine was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard other than to confirm that some, if not all, Humaxes do have problems with sub titles.
My answer was about as useful as a chocolate teapot! I only chipped in because no one was answering the question. However, as I don't have a 4000T, my answer might not be relevant.
...There are two ways of controlling subtitle display, the global preference setting and the sub button. It appears the two can get out of sync. When this happened after pausing live content and resuming playback the sub-titles appeared if present in the stream. The solution was to toggle the global option on/off a few times...
Hmm, that was what I was referring to in my earlier post. Not sure that the global preferences stick at all on the 2000T. Might investigate... (probably wont!).

Although your encouragement is laudable, lessons in the use of the English language and on how to ask questions can possibly piss people off. I feel it needs to be confined to The Arms.
For "possibly" read "does". I think the OP's response indicates that.

It continues in The Arms Phil:D
I used to be decisive but I am a bit more careful these days.

Back