Suddenly started crashing on channel 85 (RT) 12th June 2014 - why now?

Because I would have thought that the very first thing to do as a fault finding exercise would have been to disconnect all the other items from the switch and see if the Hummy still crashes. You know it makes sense!
If it doesn't then connect the other items one at a time until it does.
Could it be an IP address conflict with the other stuff on the switch?

Def not an ip conflict problem, most of my devices I give fixed ip, the rest are dhcp in a completely different range.

I'll pull both synology's and report back. maybe try disabling media server on the one that's running it. ... actually yes, because it doesn't crash when plugged direct into the homeplug, so it obviously doesn't mind the other synology on the network, that one doesn't run a media server

It could also be a crappy switch, I can try a different one with the same setup.

fun fun fun!

Try setting the network up with the switch again BUT disconnect the NAS.
As already stated, recent versions of Twonky (7 I think) are known to knock the hummy over.
EDIT: my suggestion was overtaken by other entries, sorry.

Last edited:
The nas wasn't on the network. And I dont have twonky running.

Just tried with network completely removed.

Ch 47 crashed

So it ISN'T external network related.

More4 just crashed aswell

So it does not involve the home network, but some people's HDR-FOXes crash when accessing a variety of services while others do not...

Weird.

Last edited:
Seems only channel 4 itself doesn't crash the box
C4 film4 and more4 are all on the same mux so cant even theories about that.....

One of my HDRs, crashes occasionally while SWMBO is watching QVC. To my knowledge, it hasn't happened on any other channel. FYI, I don't have RT 'installed'.

Ok, so I feel a little stupid now.

I altered my network around on Monday but did not think to update the network settings on the Humax.

The gateway adress and dns adress were no longer pointing at my router, but to another router that was no longer the Internet gateway.

Now, as long as you start the humax with the network cable unpluged and leave it that way, the box will not crash, even when viewing the affected channels. If you start the box and then remove the cable it will crash only when trying to view one of the afore mentioned 4type channels.

Now that I have corrected the dns and gateway my system seems stable again.

However, I have had this crashing problem before, and it usually seemed to coinsided with a powercut earlier in the day (we get alot in devon). On these occasions I could verify a network error by simply not being able to ping anything the other side of the network switch or open humax url in browser (webif). That was a sure sign that the home plug had failed to renegotiate its connection after the powercut (we have a few of them about the house and they have to start up in a timely order it seems for them all to play nicely) . Simply switching the homeplug of and on again would cure the crashes.

I hope this at least helps focus the problem, as im sure a problem does exist, just that I was forcing the problem to be more prevalent by having a conveluted route to dns etc.

I would sumerise that if the humax is powered up with a network cable attached, and there is a subsequent network access issue, it forces a crash event to occur when viewing certain channels.

Last edited:
Might be worth passing that detail on to Humax engineers..
Sounds like the channels that have IPTV embedded in them are trying to reach the internet, but is not accounting for a specific error and crashing..

Might be worth passing that detail on to Humax engineers..
Sounds like the channels that have IPTV embedded in them are trying to reach the internet, but is not accounting for a specific error and crashing..
I can verify that it is caused by the unit not being connected to the internet. Once the unit has internet connection, the problem disappears. It not only happens with the custom software but also with the official software .

Bob

The units that are connected, probably have a DNS or other issue, which is causing a specific error that is not accounted for.

I dont think Humax can stop the MHEG from loading for these channels, which will have the internet connection code in as they would need to maintain a list somewhere that the box could go and fetch.
Remember how the Racing IPTV channel used to crash the box or just act weird? Humax changed something so it didnt crash but it still didnt work properly.. So more than likely its just a scenario they have not accounted for that is related to internet connection probs in the MHEG player.

Okay... but that would mean the thousands of "normal" users (by which I mean the trailing-edge population who just use the Humax as a PVR with no network connectivity whatsoever - I know several) should have crash issues on the wide variety of services that have been reported here - and as far as I know they don't.

Back