[Suggestion] Podcast Downloader

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Anybody fancy having a crack at writing a package?

This would just sit in the background, triggered by a cron schedule or the auto loop every couple of hours, and when run it accesses a series of URLs the user has configured to look for MP3 files. If it finds any it has not downloaded before, it downloads them.

My use for this would be for Radio 4 programmes that have podcast editions - eg Science in Action and Inside Science - which I would then listen to in the car. I can record them, and then automatically process them to proper MP3, but the podcasts are already MP3 and (more importantly) don't need topping and tailing.

As an aside, there is mention that the BBC intends to tighten up iPlayer access to licence holders only (I don't know how they think they can do that). I wonder what effect that will have on Get iPlayer?!!

I read yesterday that the Beeb were/are trying to get user data from Sky so that they can chase licences.

Why not write one yourself!
I find the best way to learn something new is to have a need and than investigate what you would need to do to satisfy the need.

If you are not planning to use the podcasts on the Humax why download them to it?
A quick google for "podcast downloader" reveals a whole range of PC and other device apps already out there.

I just use a podcast app on my smartphone to download and play such programmes while out and about. Plenty of choice but I use iPodcast on my Windows phone.

Last edited:
  1. I don't think it would be very difficult, but nonetheless it would require a substantial learning curve and I have lots of things on my to-do list - if I had been in this position a few years ago my contributions to this forum would never have got off the ground;
  2. The HDRs are on all the time - my PC isn't and neither do I want it doing things in the background while I want all its CPU cycles;
  3. No, they will be copied to a UPD for use in the car. When I'm rushing around to go somewhere it would be nice to find a stock ready to copy rather than have to spend valuable time queuing up downloads and then going away to do something else while they download (slowly - I only have 2.5Mbps) and forgetting to grab them afterwards;
  4. Yes, there are lots of ways to skin a cat. This is another option which I would use if it was available, and maybe others would too. Vote here!

Based on the amount of series currently available I'd say it would be a waste of time.

These are the ones currently listed for download, all 4 of them:

BBC Podcasts - Comedy, Radio 4.png

And I just counted 14 comedy series on Radio 4 this coming week.

They're not all called "podcasts". Try googling "site:bbc.co.uk mp3".

In Our Time
The History of the World in 100 Objects
File on 4
Reith Lectures

Back