Suggestions for a USB Stick for installing the CF

Dark Eyes

Hello all,
I have read the instructions and some of the relevant forum posts about installing the CF, but I can't seem to find a USB stick that the FOXSAT detects. I have tried a SanDisk 8GB & a no-name 4GB and neither seem to get detected. Unfortunately I don’t t have anything smaller, so it looks like I'm going to have to buy one, and was wondering if there are any suggestions for what types to buy. I'm not expecting any guarantees that a certain type will work, but just wondering if there are certain brands or sizes that have a better chance of working.

I recently had trouble with three USBs when trying to update CF for my FoxT2. I eventually used an SD card.

it looks like I'm going to have to buy one, and was wondering if there are any suggestions for what types to buy
There is a lot more experience on this forum with HDR-FOX than with Foxsat, so a summary of observations might be of relevance on the presumption the mechanisms used are similar.

The principles seem to be these:
  1. Ensure the format is correct and the firmware update file is correctly named. Recent versions of Windows do not seem capable of creating the correct format, at least not natively.

2. If the above is correct but still not recognised, it is probably due to the time the UPD takes to make data available after power up. This appears to be what limits larger capacity (ie more modern) devices.
It is on my to-do list to experiment with powering a UPD externally. This will involve a power breakout adapter cable, with the idea of having the UPD up and running before the HDR-FOX / Foxsat tries to access it during boot.

Ask friends, family, neighbours and work colleagues if they have some older small usb sticks you can borrow to install it?

Small sticks and fat 32 in a single partition are what Raydon's readme.txt file recommends. The file is only some 10MB in size and someone may have one sitting in a drawer? I have used a SD card usb reader in the foxsat-hdr in the past. If you have such in your possession.

It's almost a complete lottery as to which sticks or cards work; but the CF is worth the effort!

What's annoying is that the FoxSAT is definitely reading both sticks, because if I put a jpg in the root folder of them, I can switch to USB1 and display the jpg; although it shown as being in a folder called sda1(1), which is think is the root folder in Linux.
Obviously when I am trying to install the CF, the FOXSAT-HDR_CFWupgrade.hdf file is the only thing on it.
Both sticks are FAT32, and MBR.

Does this offer any hope, or is it just that 4/8GB is too large for it to read during bootup?

Does this offer any hope, or is it just that 4/8GB is too large for it to read during bootup?
It's not a question of being too large, just whether it's fast enough... but if the file isn't called the right thing it won't be found.

The Foxsat-HDR must be in standby. Then insert the USB in to the front port, behind the panel and then switch the box on. A counter should then be displayed.

The filename was the issue, I didn't notice that it had the extra CFW.
It installed as detailed from the 4GB stick (the 8GB one just got stuck at 0%)

Thanks everyone for your input - very much appreciated.

Back