Summary?

Pete1948

Hi All
I'm new here so I hope you'll bear with me.

I've just ordered a pair of home plugs so I can get the BBC and ITV players. Looking around the various sites/fora it seems there's a host of other things I might do once connected. But everyone who posts seems to know what they are doing-I don't see discussions which start from the basis of no knowledge..
Could anyone sumnmarise in simple terms what I might do with the Foxsat HDR box once connected to the web?

With the standard firmware the only thing you can do is use the two catch up VOD services. If you install the Custom Firmware there are loads of other possibilities.

Here's a few

Set recordings remotely over the internet
Watch recordings on other kit without affecting what the main box user is doing with the box. For instance you could be watching a recording on your laptop while someone else is watching a different one.
Copy recordings to and from the box directly to a PC over your home network
Control the box using a smart phone, tablet or PC, includes a capability to generate multi button macros (eg Instant epg generated by pressing schedule then red)
CF1.jpgCF2.jpgCF3.jpg
Prevent the box from encrypting HD channels allowing these to be streamed over your network
View free to air channels not on the freesat epg without leaving Freesat mode and set manual timers.
Have the box e-mail you various information like current recording schedules and listing your existing recordings
Set recording reservations from your PC using customised views of the epg
Record the BBC red button streams

Thank you very much Graham that's exactly what I wanted to know:) . I'll wait for the plugs and then look for the Custom Firmware.

Graham, can you show me how to:
"View free to air channels not on the freesat epg without leaving Freesat mode and set manual timers."
and also regarding
" Prevent the box from encrypting HD channels allowing these to be streamed over your network"
does this mean I can copy to my laptop's HDD and edit?

Graham, can you show me how to:
"View free to air channels not on the freesat epg without leaving Freesat mode and set manual timers."
and also regarding
" Prevent the box from encrypting HD channels allowing these to be streamed over your network"
does this mean I can copy to my laptop's HDD and edit?

Custom firmware found here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/free...r-bundle-foxsat-hdr-release-4-0-part-4-a.html

Yes you can copy to your laptops HDD and edit the content.

Graham, the CFW is already installed. I just can't find the facility to "view free to air channels not on the freesat epg etc...".

Also, just copied an HD programme across; VLC isn't playing it; Freemake won't admit the file(s) for editing; the "ENC" marker is still there.
What have I done wrong?

Graham, the CFW is already installed. I just can't find the facility to "view free to air channels not on the freesat epg etc...".

Read the included notes on the channel editor package. I assume you have actually manually tuned the fta channels you want to add to freesat mode.

Also, just copied an HD programme across; VLC isn't playing it; Freemake won't admit the file(s) for editing; the "ENC" marker is still there.
What have I done wrong?

Have you installed Nowsters patch ?. If not everything you record in Freesat mode will be encrypted. After the patch is installed then new recordings won't be encrypted

Read the included notes on the channel editor package. I assume you have actually manually tuned the fta channels you want to add to freesat mode.
Haven't yet d/l the channel editor package - should probably do that first!
Sorry, I don't know what the second part of your reply means. Manually tuned how? On the box? Online?
Have you installed Nowsters patch ?. If not everything you record in Freesat mode will be encrypted. After the patch is installed then new recordings won't be encrypted
Didn't know about the patch - will d/l and try now. But I thought the CFW took care of that (see your reply to OP)?

Thanks!!

Post 2 only says what you can do (in reply to your query), not how you do it!

The custom firmware for Foxsat is supported at the link given in post 5. As I understand it, there are copious notes and information available through the web interface documentation (as shown in the first screen shot, second row sixth along).

Help! Something's gone wrong with the clock. A reminder has just come up to watch IPL cricket which doesn't start until 3pm

Don't worry people. Gone back to the original firmware. I can live without unencrypted hidef but not without the right time!

Haven't yet d/l the channel editor package - should probably do that first!
Sorry, I don't know what the second part of your reply means. Manually tuned how? On the box? Online?

Didn't know about the patch - will d/l and try now. But I thought the CFW took care of that (see your reply to OP)?

Thanks!!

Not at home, in the Menu on the box there are two tuning options. Freesat and Manual. Choose manual and leave the default settings and choose search. This will give you hundreds of channels and leave you in non freesat mode. There is now a new menu option to switch modes between Freesat and Non-Freesat. The channel editor will now have these channels visible. You have simply to tick the visible and freesat mode options to make them visible in Freesat mode. It's all explained in the CF read me and built in help files.

Don't worry people. Gone back to the original firmware. I can live without unencrypted hidef but not without the right time!

If you have the wrong time you have installed an out of date version of Nowsters patch. There is a update later in the thread - the problem came to light at clock change.

Thanks Graham, I'll definitely try it again with the new patch. Probably won't bother with the non-Freesat channels as I spent a goodly amount of time looking through them and not one thing caught my eye!

I've now got the Web interface up and running - thanks, it was easy. Now I'd like to load jpeg's and mp3's on to the Foxsat from the PC via the web not USB. Can I do that? What do I Need?

I've now got the Web interface up and running - thanks, it was easy. Now I'd like to load jpeg's and mp3's on to the Foxsat from the PC via the web not USB. Can I do that? What do I Need?
Just install the Samba package then you can access the HDR's media folders from Windows Explorer (Map Network Drive) and copy files using simple drag-and-drop. Make sure that you change the WORKGROUP in the HDR's settings page to that of your PC. If your using Windows 7 then that will be set to WORKGROUP already byt default (unless you've changed it).

Just install the Samba package then you can access the HDR's media folders from Windows Explorer (Map Network Drive) and copy files using simple drag-and-drop. Make sure that you change the WORKGROUP in the HDR's settings page to that of your PC. If your using Windows 7 then that will be set to WORKGROUP already byt default (unless you've changed it).

I did say I'm a novice so hope you'll bear with me. I now have the samba-latest. tar.gz on memory stick. If I plug this into the Foxsat HDR will it just upload and run automatically. I know I could just "suck it and see" but if I put this box out of service "her indoors" will kill me.

Back