Swapping HDD's

I've downloaded putty and followed your instructions. I had to abort the fix-disk as I run out of time. I'll have another go tomorrow. Thanks again to everyone who's contributed. If Heineken did forums.............. :)

I have a WD Purple HDD in my HDR-T2 after I ironically contacted WD and they recommended it for PVR usage. Thankfully its been trouble free so far and lasted longer than the 2TB Seagate PVR specific model it replaced. Its pretty much permanently tuned to channel 200 though so I don't timeshift. Some interesting info on HDD's and manufacturers HERE...

The !! WARNING !! has not shown up for a few day now. Should I still do the fix-disk? If so, how long does it take? Oh, I've just checked an the Wiki says "several hours". BTW when I selected the -y option it was not a recognised command.

TW when I selected the -y option it was not a recognised command.
As prpr said, it's an option to fixdisk itself.
When you select fixdisk from the telnet menu, it will ask you if you want to add any extra options. That's where you type the -y.

Code:
Please select option: fixdisk
Any additional options (or press return for none):

OK. I think I entered fixdisk -y. I'll try again at bed time and leave it overnight.

Thanks again.

OK, its "bed time". I think I may have an earlier version of the CFW. I've left it to do a "long disk self test". No -y switch/option

Here is a screen shot.

Telnet Screen.jpg

Update!!!! That's really old; fixdisk is improved on more recent versions, and CF pre-3.xx is no longer supported for package upgrades.

Updating the firmware element of CF is really easy and pain-free - just grab the one you want from HERE (click), unzip it to a UPD, stick it in the HDR and reboot.

Yes, I've not updated for a while. Its about time I did that so that's the next job.

Here is the final telnet session screen, but I don't remember entering those yes's

Telnet Screen 2.jpg

This is what I see now, but I don't know what exactly it means, except for the fact that I think I'll change the HDD anyhow.

WRT "Attributes", item 8, "Power_On_Hours". I guess that refers to the time that the HDD has been running and not on standby?

diag 1.jpg diag 2.jpg diag 3.jpg

This is what I see now, but I don't know what exactly it means, except for the fact that I think I'll change the HDD anyhow.
It looks fine to me now.
WRT "Attributes", item 8, "Power_On_Hours". I guess that refers to the time that the HDD has been running and not on standby?
When the box is in standby the hard drive shouldn't be powered up so the answer is yes.

If you want to waste pound notes, why not waste them on something that will actually achieve something useful?
I cannot argue with your logic. I'll spend it on a new starter motor for my fourteen year old car. Hitting the one on it now with a hammer, is not the done thing when my neighbors all have new motors.

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed.

What both Martin and prpr are trying to tell you is that a few problems with the drive have been sorted out and it's not necessary to fit a new drive for the time being - and possibly not for the remaining life of the HDR. If the problems were multiplying it might be a different matter, but it would be a waste of money doing it now.

If you upgrade your web interface package, that disk screen will also show percentages against different metrics. Based on the recommendations that the disk manufacturer has baked into the firmware, that disk has about 75% of its life left (and no dodgy sectors).

I updated all packages and the web interface stopped working, although it was still on the network.. I started a telnet session, chose to reinstall web interface, and all is good. I hope the re-boot problem has gone away, but if not, thats for another thread.

Back