swapping units

i'm just waiting for the courier to arrive with a 1tb fox-t2

am currently transferring all recordings off the old unit onto external hdd, and am planning on donating it to my mum

my question is can i simply replace the new unit into my av cupboard, scan and then upgrade the cfw?
will i then be able to restore scheduled events and favourites as if to the old unit? i'm assuming there may be a new IP address to amend in the samba folder

i'm hoping it will be this straight forward, and advance advice gratefully received, the courier is 1hr 10 mins away according to dpd's wonderful tracking system!

cheers

The scheduled events and favourites backed up on the old Humax are not going to be available on the new unit

whys that then ezra? surely if they're on my pc, there should be a way of sending them onto the new unit? i cant be the only person that has upgraded

What have you copied onto your P.C.?
Have you copied the /mod/var/backup directory from your old Humax?

no idea what that is, or how to do it, but the webif is on the pc with all the details held there, i'm no techno geek i'm afraid, but had assumed if the info is held on my pc then i could send it back down the line to the new unit?? obviously not? its not a massive task anyway i guess but nice to do when it works!

cheers for replies

When you login to your Humax from your P.C. using the Web-If, you are connecting to a web page that is on the Humax, nothing is stored on the P.C.. The custom firmware is on your Humax. If I were you I would photograph your schedule screens and write down the channel numbers of your favourites

oh i understand now thanks, thats a shame, i guess it would be possible if i knew what i was doing! so i'll have to start a new webif for the new unit then?

not the end of the world, cheers for clearing things up for me

Yes you will have to start a new Web-If, Your new Humax may have different firmware than your old one, so be careful to match the Custom Firmware you install with the Official Version and if it has 1.03.12 on it, there isn't any current Custom Firmware available yet

thanks, its just arrived and has scanned quickly, i'll just check out the firmware and be careful not to update the wrong one, its second hand so cant imagine it'll be the very latest

all sorted, just waiting for old unit to finish transferring, its down to its last 3-4gb of recordings, then i've gotta get dusty and swap them about!

very pleased, off ebay for £92, great deal!

That's lucky, I've seen them go for much more.

oh i understand now thanks, thats a shame, i guess it would be possible if i knew what i was doing!
I think it would be possible if you knew which files to preserve. It's a toss-up which is easier.

its ok thanks, i've set it all back up manually, didnt take long, and am now transferring her files back onto the new unit, hopefully she wont even notice, except the tell tale dust marks in the UV cupboard!! smoothly done

managed to get everything back as was onto the new unit, with one exception, i cant get the network share automount to work again

i've never found the set up instructions very easy to follow on here, (in fact even finding them is difficult!!) indeed, when i did it initially a kind member talked me thru it step by step (thanks again climber!)

the webif lets me view the folders and the device is there, and folders are set to share.

within the modsettings smb folder, do i keep the bits before the = sign, ie domain=workgroup etc? if so whats the prefix before the ip address as i've overwritten this, or is it simply the fact that i've not rebooted since set these up, shes home and watching recordings now

theres nothing at all in the scanmounts.log under diagnostics which leads me to think this is probably the root of my problem

There's nothing difficult about the automount settings, just do exactly what it says on the tin (as per my post 244 in the automount topic).

For example, in the relevant folder for my HDR3 share on HDR1 I have:

/media/My Video/[ModSettings]/smb/HDRFOX3
domain=WORKGROUP
folder=My Video
host=192_168_1_13
mac=ABABABABABAB (only needed for wakeUp)
password=Password
shareFolder=Off
user=User
wakeConstantly?
wakeNow?​
"folder=MyVideo" stops the share "seeing" the external drives, unnecessary if you don't have both-ways shares set up. "shareFolder=Off" means the share will be accessible as a virtual USB drive, not as a folder within My Video.

Note you will need a real external USB drive/stick installed in the client device, or the virtual-disk2 package, otherwise the virtual USB will not be registered.

post 244, its no wonder i couldnt find it!! is there any way of stickying things like this either on the forum or the wiki??

i've just plugged all the cables into the same slots on the new unit, so assume all the relevant usb needs are met, and also that the = signs ARE crucial?

interestingly all the HD recordings that i have transferred back onto the new unit are not playing, the scrambled message appears after a few seconds, all the SD ones are fine. but annoyingly i have since deleted them all from the external HDD after testing one or two recordings, obviously both were SD ones? shes taken the news quite calmly!! is this a known problem?

i've rebooted and the scanmount.log now says

Mount failed...
umount: can't forcibly umount /media/humaxpcaccess: Invalid argument
192.168.x.x is on-line - attempting to mount humaxpcaccess
mount -t cifs //192.168.x.x/various series /media/humaxpcaccess -o user=matilda-pc,password=+++++++,domain=WORKGROUP,unc=\\192.168.x.x\various series
mount: mounting //192.168.x.x/various series on /media/humaxpcaccess failed: Not a directory

post 244, its no wonder i couldnt find it!! is there any way of stickying things like this either on the forum or the wiki??
Here you are, you can always build your own library of bookmarks in your web browser:

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/network-shares-automount-package-released.1126/page-13#post-20016

i've just plugged all the cables into the same slots on the new unit, so assume all the relevant usb needs are met,
How do I know? Do you have an external hard drive or USB memory stick plugged in? Do exactly what you are told and you will have less trouble.

and also that the = signs ARE crucial?
Is there some reason not to believe what you are told? Do exactly what you are told and you will have less trouble.

interestingly all the HD recordings that i have transferred back onto the new unit are not playing, the scrambled message appears after a few seconds, all the SD ones are fine. but annoyingly i have since deleted them all from the external HDD after testing one or two recordings, obviously both were SD ones? shes taken the news quite calmly!! is this a known problem?
<sigh> Encryption!! See Things Every... (click) section 5.

Back