T2000 suffering from heat?

1moretime

We have had a exceptional period of hot weather in UK recently and indoor temp has been in 20's C. Had a problem with my T2000 during weekend, where it would not respond to remote power on/off or same on front panel. Just got stuck until power disconnected and reconnected. This happened about 4 times and finally neither red or blue LED were lit. I thought the unit had died, so disconnected from TV, checked power adapter with DVM and measured correct 12Vdc, so not that. Fresh batts in remote so not that also confirmed by front panel unresponsive.
Anyhow, left it overnight and tried again next morning, now seems to have recovered.
I had been using power saving in standby, I dont know if that is wise or not as if T2000 goes sick, you loose RF loop through. I am used to switching on the unit same time as TV, so have gone for that option agian to reduce energy use.
I suspect my T2000 suffered mild heatstroke. Is that common?
I seem to remember a software rev was issued to cut fan noise early on (or am I thinking of my previous humax box) maybe fan cant cope with exceptional ambient temperature.
Any advice or comments welcome.

Had a problem with my T2000 during weekend, where it would not respond to remote power on/off or same on front panel. Just got stuck until power disconnected and reconnected.
It seems that this happens on occasions to most boxes. It happens to my2 Samsung TVs on the odd occasion as well.
If the T2000 goes sick, you loose RF loop through.
Use an aerial splitter instead of the loop through on the box so that the TV aerial independent of the box. You can then switch off the box altogether if you want to.

We have had a exceptional period of hot weather in UK recently and indoor temp has been in 20's C.
Only the 20s? It's been in excess of 30degC (air temp) outside, with blue skies and a baking sun...

I suspect my T2000 suffered mild heatstroke. Is that common?
That is not an unreasonable supposition. There will be an environmental temperature at which the thermal management cannot shift the internal heat faster than it is being generated. This can result in things that go wrong occasionally (such as crashes) occurring more frequently. That said, I've not noticed anything unusual with my HDR-FOXes (but my PC was having a 'mare until I hoovered out the cooling fins).

I have had to increase the fan speed (using the Custom FirmWare Fan package), of my HDR-Fox T2 from 45% to 55% in order to prevent the 50 Deg C fan alarm from activating recently

Only the 20s? It's been in excess of 30degC (air temp) outside, with blue skies and a baking sun...
Indeed 30C+ outside, but my Humax box is indoors where it has probably been upto mid 20's on occassions. I am glad to say the unit still seems to be working normally since I rested and reconnected it. I don't really want to go down the road of custom firmware although fan may have been slowed to reduce noise by humax firmware. It has not been quite so hot in last days, so I will put it down to a thermal event and (fingers crossed) not something worse.
Thanks to all above who have replied.

Thanks Trev and Black Hole re custom firmware. Ezra mentioned it, but for FoxT2.
Sad to say my T2000 has died on me again this evening. Got stuck on red then after power off/on no LED lit at all.
May now consider a replacement.
Is it possible to copy content from one T2000 to another?

Got the T2000 back running (again). I have now turned off Power Saving in Standby setting. I'm unclear what this Power Saving feature actually does except keep the RF loopthrough live. Does it also mean the HDD is not switched off in standby or something different?
Re custom firmware mixup - no worries.

Can anyone tell me what difference in power consumption is when T2000 Power Saving on Standby is set either off or on?
What is kept running other than RF loopthrough?
Thanks

Isn't this information in the manual?
No. Nothing in the T2000 Manual about power saving mode/non-power saving mode standby power consumption. Note this setting was added to T2000 software sometime after I bought it, so it is not documented at all in the Manual.

The power saving mode will reduce the power consumption to less than half a watt. Other than that, I know nothing.
Extra power is used by the loop through and probably exceeds the 1/2W EU (or whoever standby max)
Get a splitter and switch on power saving.

Get a splitter and switch on power saving.
Trev. You will note from my earlier posts that my T2000 has been acting up when power saving in standby was switched on. Since I turned it off, the box has behaved. The only downside being >0.5W consuption in standby. I have seen on another forum that FOXT2 measured at 3.8W in this setting. If T2000 is similar then I can live with it.

OOps. Forgot. That was longer than about 10 seconds ago that you said that. :oops:Thanks for reminding me.:D
Just give it to me 1motretime Eh!

Back