Tapatalk

Do these scores matter? Not to me. Sometimes something doesn't work or breaks, and now I know why.
There are other reasons, like sites using an adware link, but you have an ad blocker. What struck me was that everyone has fiddled with Chromium, giving different results, and that none were fully compliant.

Good idea, desktop site! I hadn't thought of that.

Brave improves from 515 to 516. Barely significant.

This exercise has taught me one thing. Opera is possibly no longer a safe browser, so I am back to Brave. On Android, Opera doesn't let me set Startpage as my search engine, so switching to Brave has one consolation. I would use Edge if it had more choices of search engine.

The reasons I have stuck with Safari are that (1) so far as I can tell all browsers on iOS use the same rendering engine, so there is little to choose between them, and (2) opening a link from any other app defaults to opening it in Safari (although I think I heard a recent iOS update has made the default browser selectable - not sure).

This site is only reliable in detecting the variant of HTML5 that the author knew about when the site was last updated. For instance, when I last checked (November), its test for Custom Elements looked for the deprecated API document.registerElement(), which was supposed to be dropped from Chrome a year ago.

Broadly, it's difficult to argue that HTML5 is anything more than the bits of Chrome that Google wants to claim as standardised. The Living Standard means that no-one can build something that implements HTML5 (or a conformance test for an implementation, like html5test.com) without being in a Red Queen death race with Google.

I'm not clear how server-side code can work out what's going on client-side anyway.
The conformance test comprises JS sent to the client where it's run and the resulting page displayed in the browser. Because browser JS is an interpreted late-bound language where functions are objects it's easy to check whether required APIs exist and then, less straightforwardly, attempt to check their behaviour.

Back