Tapatalk

4ndy

Does anyone know what is happening to Tapatalk?

I just got an email from Google Playstore saying my VIP (ad free) subscription has been cancelled. When I look for the app in Play store, it is no longer available. Still working and still on IOS.

Does anyone use an alternative?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes, I did say it was still working. Just wondering for how long, as appears to have been removed from Play store.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes, I did say it was still working.
Okay then, genuine question (to Tapatalk users in general):

Why do you not consider it a kindness to find the relevant setting and turn this off?:

1603794176245.png

It crossed my mind it might be because you can't see it, but that can't be the case because it's embedded in the actual post (unless maybe Tapatalk itself filters those out somehow?). Perhaps the setting doesn't exist, is hard to find, or users are just too lazy to find it?

There are several reasons I would prefer this were turned off (and I know I speak for others too):
  • It's blatant advertising for Tapatalk, put there by default and requiring the user to take measures to get rid of it. We don't tolerate any other form of spam, so why this? It is no more relevant than announcing "Safari" or "Firefox".

• Why do we care what phone you have? No doubt this was specifically designed to create envy on social media, perhaps with some kind of kick-back to Tapatalk from phone manufacturers. The email client on iOS defaulted to adding a signature to every email "sent from my iPad" - I turned that off straight away.

• Unlike post signature panels, being embedded in the actual post text it can't be turned off by the reader as a forum preference. Deciding later you want to remove it from your existing posts means going back and editing all your posts.

• It adds a couple of unnecessary lines to the length of posts.

• Not turning it off (even after having it pointed out) suggests a certain arrogance or at least a lack of consideration.
Update (incorporating subsequent discussion): There is justification for letting people know you posted on the move and therefore were potentially compromised in some way but needed to respond quickly. In that case the non-advertising tag line "Posted on the move" would be far more acceptable.

Last edited:
Asked/told when?

I don't know of any objections. In fact I thought it might actially aid the members on here who help me solve issues from time to time, to understand that I am sometimes using a phone and therefore posts may be brief or contain spelling mistakes. Or that I am not able to access a computer at that precise moment.

I don't think anyone will seriously envy a 3 year old S8.

The default signature certainty takes up less forum space than some other signatures and I suggest is less arrogant.

Not all forums work with Tapatalk, in fact my understanding is that the people running forums need to somehow opt in (I vaguely recollect an announcement to that effect on here). I don't know if this may involve any financial transaction. That was, in part, the point of my first post. Tapatalk seem to have had a major fallout with Google. If Tapatalk is ceasing entirely (I don't know) the forum operator might be able to shed some light. Or it could even be news to them.

Certainly didn't expect so much outrage.

Last edited:
I think you mean "asked" ;)
Perhaps I meant "told about it".

Asked/told when?
It has been mentioned over the years - as in "we don't care and don't want to know" (and mentioned in the Newbies' Guide to the Forum). It could be that it has been other Tapatalk users targeted over those years, and maybe not you specifically. Anyway, I see you have now so thanks (no - honestly, and it receives a "like").

I thought it might actially aid the members on here who help me solve issues from time to time, to understand that I am sometimes using a phone
That is always a possibility, whoever is posting. It would be a lot less annoying if the tag simply read "posted on the move" or similar (which is what af does, IIRC), rather than constantly flagging up Tapatalk.

I don't think anyone will seriously envy a 3 year old S8.
I never suggested they would. It is a general comment on the reason Tapatalk made that the default (and iOS makes a similar statement as a default email signature "sent from my iPad" - but I turned that off straight away). Looking back I see you've had quite a variety.

Not all forums work with Tapatalk, in fact my understanding is that the people running forums need to somehow opt in
That was not always the case (and might not be now) - it's only a question of whether Tapatalk is compatible with the server-generated HTML used to render the forum and the BBCode used to create posts. Otherwise, Tapatalk would never have gained any traction as a forum browser. I think forum owners can opt into making Tapatalk an "approved" browser which might add the forum to Tapatalk's index - I don't know if there is any kickback. In the case of Xenforo upgrades (our forum software), there might even be a specific Tapatalk API.

I tried it out myself once, but discovered it didn't (at the time, anyway) support the full set of formatting (eg strikeout), so chose to stick with the ordinary browser (which is fine - on a modern smartphone with modern responsive web design).

Certainly didn't expect so much outrage.
It's not so much outrage as an opportunity to scratch an old itch - you raised the subject!

At least now I have a post I can point the other miscreants at.

It's not so much outrage as an opportunity to scratch an old itch - you raised the subject!
I
And itch duly scratched in post #3
At least now I have a post I can point the other miscreants at.
:frantic: :roflmao:

I find the autocorrect on my Samsun Galaxy E10 Plus SM-G975F quite good, and if it screws up and I don't notice, I quite like the ridicule that I suffer in AvP

Sent from my HP laptop with a 15" screen and full size keyboard, so no excuses.

Last edited:
This latest version of Xenforo includes a progressive web app, although it hasn't been set up yet. See here:

Sent from my HP laptop with a 15" screen and full size keyboard, so no excuses.
:rolling: Do we really care?
Is that a real full size keyboard - as in the good old days - or a laptop full size keyboard?
What's your excuse for that one?
In replying to 4ndy (the OP ;) ) you gave the impression it was the OP that started the discussion about the signature. I understood Trev's response to mean he started the signature discussion.
But not satisfying the itch to explain why, in detail.
Trev vented his spleen about Tapatalk signatures - simples.

:rolling: Do we really care?
Is that a real full size keyboard - as in the good old days - or a laptop full size keyboard?
If you don't care then why are you asking about it:duel:

In replying to 4ndy (the OP ;) ) you {BH} gave the impression it was the OP that started the discussion about the signature. I understood Trev's response to mean he started the signature discussion.
So did I.

So did I.
Misinterpretation. What I meant was that the OP has opened a subject with the title "Tapatalk", and is therefore fair game. Now, if the title had been "Is Tapatalk Closing Down?", that would be another matter.

progressive web app
First I had to read the linked article to find out what a "PWA" is...

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/progressive-web-app.181448/ said:
by making XenForo installable
What? Installable where? Isn't it already installed on our server?

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/progressive-web-app.181448/ said:
once again Safari on macOS and any iOS-based browsers are the culprits due to Apple's ongoing failure to implement industry standards
Don't I know it. I spent ages creating a "simple" static website, expecting it to play nicely everywhere, but iOS has its own ideas what size to display text unless you force it with "viewport" metadata.

Don't I know it. I spent ages creating a "simple" static website, expecting it to play nicely everywhere, but iOS has its own ideas what size to display text unless you force it with "viewport" metadata.
Many years ago had a similar problem. Trying to get all (then current) browsers on all (then current) systems to render a simple web page in (roughly) the same way was a right pain in the bum. Damned style sheets didn't work the same in the major browsers. Flash and Java applets (they were in the design spec so had to be delivered) worked differently in different browsers. Now we have HTML5, another version of style sheets and more devices I'd give up if I was still working in that field!

Now we have HTML5, another version of style sheets and more devices I'd give up if I was still working in that field!
I'm not an authority, but in my view HTML5 should sort at least some of the problems out - all modern browsers should conform, except for Apple who seem to think they have enough clout to be able to go their own way (and I suppose they do - what webmaster can afford to ignore presentation problems in iOS?). The general advice I was given is "let anybody not on HTML5 yet take care of themselves".

Back