Telnet menus - am I missing something?

ejstubbs

Are the telnet menu and the maintenance menu built-in, or do they have to be installed?

Last weekend I finally took the plunge and upgraded my HDR-FOX T2 to 1.0.32. I installed the 2.17 custom firmware and added the packages I wanted, especially Disable DSO and Disable OTA, plus the one that stops the device selection key presses on the remote being echoed on the screen. Everything looked good, so I decided to run a disk check (I'd had a few drop-outs when playing back recordings and I wasn't sure that they'd been present in the transmission, or were symptomatic of an HDD on its way out.) So I followed the excellent instructions in the Wiki and my HDD came out the other side with flying colours. Which was nice. The only thing was, I had to type all the commands at the humax# command prompt - none of the menus mentioned in the Wiki seemed to be there. Did I miss a step somewhere?

The telnet menu and the maintenance menu are built-into the later versions of the Custom Firmware, if you Telnet into the Humax and don't get the telnet menu it could be because it is turned off (although the default is Tmenu = on), have a look in the Web-If >> Settings Menu >> advanced Settings >> Expert Mode Telnet Server = Off, this should force the Telnet Menu on. It is also possible to display this menu by entering tmenu at the command line prompt

Many thanks for that clarification - I did indeed have expert mode turned on (only managed to check it today, been a hectic week!) I shall remember in future: expert = don't need a menu, everything is done from the command line. Aye, just like when I were a lad, programming PDP11s to steal people's passwords...

Many thanks for that clarification - I did indeed have expert mode turned on (only managed to check it today, been a hectic week!) I shall remember in future: expert = don't need a menu, everything is done from the command line. Aye, just like when I were a lad, programming PDP11s to steal people's passwords...

Blimey PDP11's, I used to program Fortran 77 on a PDP11/84, those were the days :)

Back