Telnet not connecting in Maintenance mode

How do you get a wireless connection to work in maintenance mode? The Wiki says it may not be possible, but not that it is impossible. When I have tried (as far as I am aware, I have all the wireless packages installed) the IP address gets set to 192.168.2.100 (my router uses 192.168.0.x addresses) and it does not work. If you set the router to use addresses in the 192.168.2.x range will it work then?

I'm not sure anybody has. prpr sometimes contributes something useful, but must be taken with a pinch of salt unless corroborated.

Could you point me in the right direction, please. I have the standard packages such as wireless helper installed, but for maintenance mode I have always temporarily used an ethernet WiFi bridge instead of a dongle as it is not convenient for me to use a direct ethernet connection.
wireless-helper, wireless-tools and wpa-supplicant appear to be the relevant ones.

Thanks again, I'll have a better look, after I've replaced the HDD and reloaded the CFW. Step one this evening I think - format the external HD and start copying files, hopefully before the internal HD dies completely!

How do you get a wireless connection to work in maintenance mode?
It just works. I didn't do anything special.
The Wiki says it may not be possible, but not that it is impossible.
Who knows what that means? Probably written (or cribbed) by someone who never tried it.
When I have tried (as far as I am aware, I have all the wireless packages installed) the IP address gets set to 192.168.2.100 (my router uses 192.168.0.x addresses) and it does not work.
The router in question is set to 192.168.x.y where x is not equal to 0 nor 2.
Obviously it isn't going to work if the device is on the wrong subnet.
If you set the router to use addresses in the 192.168.2.x range will it work then?
Possibly. I haven't tried it because the correct IP address got assigned. The DHCP server on the router is set to "sticky" mode for the address in question.

How do you get a wireless connection to work in maintenance mode? The Wiki says it may not be possible, but not that it is impossible.
Who knows what that means? Probably written (or cribbed) by someone who never tried it.
It is dependent upon the state of the hard disk. If someone uses maintenance mode there is a fair chance that the hard disk could be corrupt in some way. If it is read only then it will not be possible to install the wireless packages. If the disk is unmountable then the wireless packages will not run even if they were installed previously.

It is not possible to install any package if the hard disk is read-only or unmountable. Hence the reason for including fix-disk as part of the custom firmware.

Edit: Inserted first paragraph

I###rt ##at i### #o#r p### #nd s## f##e to ## ##e# B##
What was that? If your noise-to-signal ratio wasn't so appalling it might be easier to separate the wheat from the chaff. To be taken seriously, avoid posting while you are in your manic phase.

Even now you just can't be man enough to apologise for the slight and admit you were wrong and I was right can you?
And you complain about me...

It is dependent upon the state of the hard disk. If someone uses maintenance mode there is a fair chance that the hard disk could be corrupt in some way. If it is read only then it will not be possible to install the wireless packages. If the disk is unmountable then the wireless packages will not run even if they were installed previously.

It is not possible to install any package if the hard disk is read-only or unmountable. Hence the reason for including fix-disk as part of the custom firmware.

Edit: Inserted first paragraph
Thankyou for the clarification and useful information.

Hi, I hope this is the right forum to post this.
I am new to hummy.tv but have been using a HDR Fox T2 for about 2 and 1/2 years without problems until about 2 weeks ago when I noticed that deletion of recordings did not free up any disc space. I looked on this forum and AVforums and found that this is a known problem with "looping delete", and that Humax have not fixed it.
After careful research it seemed to me the only way to fix this problem was by Custom Firmware which I have installed. I tried telnet and successfully connected to the device and put it into Maintenance Mode. I even got as far as running fix-disk from the menu.
The problem I have encountered is that the disk check failed - it was checking FDA2 (I think) and got as far as 29.7% progress after about 5 minutes and then would not proceed any further. (after waiting about 20 minutes there was no change in the progress). I quit the telnet session and reconnected successfully, but when the device reset to go back into Maintenance Mode it failed and now displays a counter starting at 00:00, now up to 00:24. Telnet cannot get the device to respond.
Have I jiggered this up big time or is there anything I can do to retrieve the situation? Is a "factory reset" the answer and will I lose my existing recordings?

Any help would be appreciated - there were some things I really wanted to record over Xmas!

A factory reset will not lose your recordings, the reset will clear your options set up in Menu >> Settings. 'Format' will lose your recordings, so don't enable this option.

Thanks for that clarification. I will definitely not Format therefore.
Is the only option to do the factory reset? If so, would you point me to the relevant instructions?
Many thanks.

Hm...., the hummy is stuck in maintenance mode (MM)and won't respond to the remote beyond powering down to/up from standby.
I've tried powering off and back on but this does not change the status out of MM.
Oh dear. Would reloading the firmware be worth trying, or would that be ignored as it is in MM?
Thanks.

I have tried the suggestions from both ezra pound (the system does not give me a prompt to allow the rm command), and prpr ( "Network error: Connection timed out" from PUTTY).
Does anyone have any other suggestions? Can I do a factory reset using the button on the front panel/switch off&on?
I am grateful for your help as I am sure you have other Xmas-y things to do.

Back