! Terrestrial Antenna Is Short Circuited.

Andybrody

Hi any one seen this before. as explained lats week on customised firmware I have had to buy a new (seconhand) HDRFoxT2.
All has been fine until tonight and I got a message on screen
! Terrestrial Antenna Is Short Circuited.
The FoxT2 was working just fine it was recording Film 4 and could change channels just fine,
the only way to clear the message was to do (full) reboot.
Any thoughts
Andy

The message suggests you have an aerial fault, regardless whether "it works". You shouldn't have 5V turned on unless it is needed to power a mast-head amplifier, but at the same time a fully-satisfactory UHF aerial system won't have a DC short circuit between the core and screen.

Last edited:
Except if it is a folded dipole, which will be a DC short circuit. But there I reach my limit of aerial expertise.
That's more than mine - I regard RF as a black art akin to witchcraft.

But it will at the the aerial . A passive log periodic is a DC short as is a Yagi as most if not all use a folded dipole.
OK, I take it back.

I regard RF as a black art akin to witchcraft.
I worked on the simulation of RF effects for a few years. It certainly seemed like a black art. If I couldn't visualise how something worked I couldn't understand it. Many of the equations and almost all other people's methods were witchcraft - at least to me.

You should try slotted waveguide squint v frequency. Multiple slotted waveguide arrays and vertical scanning and frequency domain pulse compression then.

Curious. I think that defaults to off, so why would it be on?
Getting back to this problem but have now found that intermitanlty the 5V RF feed will switch back on compltetely on its own this happens both on the HDR downsatirs and the HD upstairs any ideas wouls be greatley appreciated.

I can't imagine why that would be, on a sample of four units here they all have their 5V turned off (without any intervention from me).

Antenna power is an option in bootsettings, so perhaps you should try that.

Back