Test firmware with large disk support

af123

Administrator
Staff member
I now have my HDR up and running with a 4TB disk and it all looks good. I've done some stress tests today without any problems showing up and am currently copying back my recordings via USB (I'd forgotten how slow that is - 700GB to go and it is going to take a very long time).

Several firmware changes were required to support the larger drive - I can confirm that stock firmware doesn't work with this drive at all and won't even allow you to use the first 2TB - and in the course of making those changes I've also done some work on the SATA driver as a small number of users had problems with their disks being seen under CFW 3.03.

The upshot is that I have a test version of CFW 3.10 here and am looking for a few volunteers to give it a go. I want to determine if it works properly for people with both original and replacement drives, for those who had problems with 3.03 or 3.02 and those for whom both worked fine. Of course if anyone wants to get a 4TB or larger disk and give it a try, that would be good too! I'm using a Seagate ST4000VM000 - I'd recommend avoiding the WD Purple drives due to their low rated data volumes.

If you're interested and willing to give it a try, please can you post the following details here?

Disk size
Original or replaced
CFW Version
Any problems with 3.02 or 3.03 in terms of the disk being seen?​

No promises to pick everyone who posts! Thanks.

I have a spare 1TB unit I have just bought as a backup unit, should one of my other two fail. At the moment it is sitting idle doing nothing.
It has not had CF installed so is a perfect candidate to test with. All I've got to do is get a large capacity HDD (4TB). If it works I got myself a nice sized media server. If it doesn't work I'll reformat the drive and stick it in my PC.
I'll put it's own disk back in and do an RMA reset and load the current CF.

But before I would consider it. How has your unit been running since your Sunday?
Understandably I don't want to trash my spare T2.

Last edited:
But before I would consider it. How has your unit been running since your Sunday?
Perfectly, I haven't noticed any problems and it has recorded several things most nights as well has being watched from another television via DLNA and NFS share (foxlink).

Ok then. I'm willing to give it a bash. I assume the beta 3.10CF will format the drive once it sees it. So I'll install the 3.10 CF with the box's existing 1TB drive and make sure it has all normal functionality. Then replace the 1TB with the 4TB one when I get it. Make sure it formats and functions as normal. Will you want any log files from the box or any other data?
I'll keep you posted on any issues that arise. So If your OK with me trying it out I'll order an ST4000VM000 on Monday, so should have it by mid to end of next week. Which means I can start testing with the 1TB drive while waiting. All I'll need is the 3.10CF and any additional instructions that you may have for installing, setting up, and use.

The only other question is will the current disk management/repair packages still work with a large capacity disk?

If you need another tester, I have a spare HDR running cf3.00 with the original 500 drive. I have a spare Seagate 4tb that I can install.

Last edited:
I amended my original post to change the drive I was going to use to a Seagate. It is an ST4000VN000.
The box said WD but it had a Seagate inside! ( I bought them from a friend who had upgraded his NAS )

Anyway, the drive is installed and working as expected.

Anyway, the drive is installed and working as expected.
Great, thanks for giving it a go. I will add it to the wiki page as a drive which is known to work (but since it isn't an AV drive I won't recommend it on there).

My box is still working perfectly with CFW 3.10 and the 4TB drive and CFW 3.10 is continuing to stabilise ready for release. I could do with a few more volunteers to test it with disks <= 2TB, in particular those who had problems with CFW 3.02 or 3.03
dma Thouky vibez MofTot

Happy to test with a stock 500GB drive, which has had no problems, if you want.
I'll build you the latest version of 3.10 tonight, there have been a few changes recently and you might as well try the latest.

I now have my HDR up and running with a 4TB disk and it all looks good. I've done some stress tests today without any problems showing up and am currently copying back my recordings via USB (I'd forgotten how slow that is - 700GB to go and it is going to take a very long time).

Several firmware changes were required to support the larger drive - I can confirm that stock firmware doesn't work with this drive at all and won't even allow you to use the first 2TB - and in the course of making those changes I've also done some work on the SATA driver as a small number of users had problems with their disks being seen under CFW 3.03.

The upshot is that I have a test version of CFW 3.10 here and am looking for a few volunteers to give it a go. I want to determine if it works properly for people with both original and replacement drives, for those who had problems with 3.03 or 3.02 and those for whom both worked fine. Of course if anyone wants to get a 4TB or larger disk and give it a try, that would be good too! I'm using a Seagate ST4000VM000 - I'd recommend avoiding the WD Purple drives due to their low rated data volumes.

If you're interested and willing to give it a try, please can you post the following details here?

Disk size
Original or replaced
CFW Version
Any problems with 3.02 or 3.03 in terms of the disk being seen?​

No promises to pick everyone who posts! Thanks.

I'd like to give it a try with a 4TB Seagate right now running 2TB WD 3.03 thanks

I think I've sent an invitation to everyone who expressed an interest now. Apologies if I've missed anyone, please let me know.
There are still a couple of slots left so if anyone else is interesting in trying the new version, get in touch.

Back