Thankyou VERY much indeed!

JellyBelly

I've had my HDR FOX T2 for a good while now. I was considering purchasing the new tri-tuner HUMAX freeview box recently but after the reviews about it have been put off by certain reported changes. So after reading here a while I installed the custom firmware available here. Web Interface, plus a few optional packages so far. Goodness me, thankyou to the person or persons who have made this upgrade available. Incredible amount of work gone into this, and and made available gratis. You are to be congratulated.

After this upgrade I cannot see any reason to ditch my HDR FOX T2. Just annoyed that I didn't do this ages before when I first registered (box is out of warrantee now). What a wally!

Anyhow, thanks again.

I would like to add my thanks as well.

The Customised Firmware, specifically with Web-IF and the packages, turn the HDR-FOX T2 into the best FreeView recorder I could imagine.

I would also like to thank all those whose knowledge helped with my recent Hard Disk upgrade, giving me years more use out of my HDR-FOX T2.

The Customised Firmware, specifically with Web-IF and the packages, turn the HDR-FOX T2 into the best FreeView recorder I could imagine.
Really? I'm not decrying the CF etc, which (considering the limitations) is a fantastic achievement, but the best you can imagine?? Imagine if the WebIF was able to make a recording start playing on the TV, or schedule a recording without needing a reboot first. Imagine if we had access to the video and audio output ports...

I would like to add my thanks as well.

I can't remember the original reason I loaded C/f, but for me the killer app is multimode. Multimode makes recordings programmes on my favourite channels so hassle free. I could probably make do with everything else but this has turned my combined HDR-FOX T2s (1.02.20 and 1.03.12) into another level.

Imagine if the WebIF was able to make a recording start playing on the TV, or schedule a recording without needing a reboot first.
Apparently, the FVP-4000T can do these out-of-the-box (lots of other things it can't do, of course).

"One-off" is a slightly different usage, I think that comes from a limited production run ("run one of these off the line" or "make this as a one-off").

I don't know the origins, but "x-off" is the traditional way of expressing quantities (particularly when ordering) in many trades (certainly in the UK). I have it the wrong way around in my sig panel though, traditionally the description comes before the quantity: "HDR-FOX T2, 5-off".

Similar usage is found in the military, where descriptions are rigidly most-significant-detail first, quantity last: "PVR, Humax HDR-FOX T2, 500GB HDD, Black, 5-off" (pretending they are also available in another colour).

Newbies sometimes think it should be "5 of" because it seems to make more sense (to them), but it's definitely "off".

Perhaps it's a shortened from of something like "take 5 off the stockpile of HDR-Fox T2 units"?

Perhaps it's a shortened from of something like "take 5 off the stockpile of HDR-Fox T2 units"?

I suspect it is more "I'll have 5 of those" although in ordering things it is more like BH says "item 2, 5 off" when written on an order.

The point is that just a number on its own is ambiguous, and may require the subject (or is that object?) to be pluralised to make a grammatical sentence. A means to flag the number as a quantity is required, which could be "Qty: 5" but still requires interpretation.

Although I accept that it can be used to prevent ambiguous miss-interpretation. I'ts not the usage requirement that's under discussion, but the word 'off' itself, rather than 'of'.
If 'one-off' is a sort of abbreviation for 'one off the production run', then surly, by the same mantra, 'three off' is also correct (shortened to 3 off')? Where the 'off' is referring to the production run, not the quantity (how ambiguous is that?) And this convention has now entered common usage.

I was only guessing, the etymology would have to be properly researched to see where it really came from. Much of what one reads about origins of words and phrases (especially on the Web) are only people's guesses anyway. My copy of the Complete Oxford English Dictionary (which lists historical records of where examples of words and phrases were first used) is 230 miles away.

My copy of the Complete Oxford English Dictionary (which lists historical records of where examples of words and phrases were first used) is 230 miles away.
Most public UK libraries subscribe to OED enabling library members to access OED references on-line.
The entry begins
" 12. Used with a preceding numeral to represent a quantity in production or manufacture, or an item or number of items so produced. Usu. as one off: see one-off n. Cf. once-off adj. and n. at once adv., conj., adj., and n. Special uses 2."
The oldest quote for non-singular usage is from Science at War (1947) and refers to mass production.

Ta.

I was unaware of this library business, I shall have to look into it for future reference. I suspect the availability from outside the actual library is going to vary from authority to authority.

I don't know where you live BH but Bristol, Cardiff and Newport public library members can access the OED on-line version of the 20 volume OED. It also includes quarterly revised entries for the 3rd edition.

Go to http://www.oed.com/ and click on sign-in. Two sign-in options are then displayed. Select the one which asks for your library card number!

Interesting. I tried my real library card number which I haven't used for donkey's years and it appeared to work. I logged out and back in again with a completely made up one in the same format and that worked too. You wonder why they bother really.

Back