the end of ESPN channel 34

I work for Openreach and maintain these DSLAM's
As I have worked on DSLAM exchange equipment but not street cabs, I was wondering if you could clear up a question I have. The new DSLAM street cabs I have seen that are positioned next to the existing 'copper' street cabs seem to have a problem of capacity, in that, if everyone in a given area decided to go for FTTC the new cabs would have insufficient DSLAMs to terminate all the existing customers, so the question is what percentage of copper customers could go over to FTTC before the new cab runs out of DSLAMS?

in woodseats mike, def not one of those on our little cul-de-sac! will use the postcode checker, but 3.3mbps in one of the biggest cities in the country is very very poor

This is useful for finding out what people near you are getting, and who from. Someone in Woodseats is getting 36Mbps.

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/speedtest/streetstats/

Edit: And this one, showing 19Mbps in your area

http://maps.thinkbroadband.com/#!la...&zoom=15&type=terrain&exchanges&speed-cluster

Milli-bits-per-second??

I was getting 2kbps with PlusNet, on a service rated "up to 8Mbps" before I switched back to BT. I can remember being one of 50 users connected to a Prime computer, and we probably achieved milli-bps speed.

ha thanks mike, the 2.52mbps is on the road next down from me!! the higher speeds seem to be cabled streets near the main roads

Oh dear! :(

BT Infinity depends on enough residents expressing an interest on BT's site, so better do that. We got it remarkably quickly here.

As I have worked on DSLAM exchange equipment but not street cabs, I was wondering if you could clear up a question I have. The new DSLAM street cabs I have seen that are positioned next to the existing 'copper' street cabs seem to have a problem of capacity, in that, if everyone in a given area decided to go for FTTC the new cabs would have insufficient DSLAMs to terminate all the existing customers, so the question is what percentage of copper customers could go over to FTTC before the new cab runs out of DSLAMS?

Round here, the number of openreach boxes is increasing. If they need capacity they just seem to erect another one. Most don't seem to be next to a copper cabinet.

Most of the smaller FTTC cabinets have 256 copper pairs going to them. Each subscriber needs two pairs from the new cabinet so they only contain 128 mini DSLAMs. The expansion plan is indeed to erect a new cabinet!

Yes, Huawei and ECI have two flavours of RDSLAM. The Huawei is by far the easiest to work in, large or small. You almost have to be a gynaecologist to work in the ECI's !!

Back