the new iPlayer (as currently on PS3)...

Depends.

If the BBC mandate its use, we will probably end up with a non-functioning iPlayer in the TV Portal until Humax make the necessary adjustments - either at the server end, or (worse) if they need to update the client boxes to accommodate (firmware update) - when the BBC switch off the current service. The BBC have done that before.

If the BBC don't switch off the current service, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Humax to implement the new one. However, it might be something the Custom Portal boys can look at.

The new iplayer interface has been on the Sony Blu Ray players for some time now (ours is BDP-370), easier to get around than the original currently on the T2.
Regards
Rob

Yes, the new one is miles better. I'd got so used to it on the PS3 I'd forgotten it was only a limited deployment. I'll probably still switch over to the PS3 for iPlayering, which is a shame because I really wanted to do it all from one box.

One issue is that this PS3 iPlayer is HTML5, I don't know if the the box's TV Portal browser can handle that as-is (?). The BBC also mentioned developing an Air version for compatible devices, but again I've no idea if the box can handle that and I imagine that would have to be wrapped up as software update if it were at all possible.

I also noted on the BBC blog that one of the BBC developers replied to a question in the comments stating that although the PS3 app contained a web browser to render the programme browser, the actual video playback was handled by the app itself (ie was neither a browser based player like the current iPlayer, nor used the devices native video player). Whether that is just particular the the PS3 beta, I don't know.

Anyway, I'll be following the Custom Portal work with interest. I've got the custom firmware installed and so far it's great, especially the WebIF.

Unless you can provide a web address for the html5 iplayer, we can't make it work.
To be honest though, I wouldnt hold out much hope for this.
The current offering won't change unless the bbc develop a version specifically for the humax and then ask humax to push out an update.

Also, wouldn't you rather someone put the effort in to bringing another catch up service rather than redo a working one?

It's the normal iPlayer URL, but when accessed using the PS3 user agent. I can confirm that, but I can't get playback to work (in Firefox).

Forgetting the Custom Portal, does the Humax really need it's own version? The current one is just the standard big screen iPlayer, isn't it? The HTML5 iPlayer is intended to be a unified version for "the majority" of connected devices when it is finally rolled out in the coming months so I'd assume they won't make a custom version for every platform as it would defeat the purpose. As long as the TV Portal can (or can be updated to) render HTML5 (?), all the BBC would hopefully need to do is grant access to other user agents, then it should just appear where the current one does just now, shouldn't it? Or am I getting it all wrong?

With regard to the last point, tbh, no. But I don't expect anyone to do anything for me alone, I'm just raising it.

I would prefer another catch up service such as 4oD, but it would be good to think that Humax are looking at updating the likes of iplayer. It would show their customers that they still consider the box worth improving. Personally I find that YouTube and Flickr too much hassle to navigate on the T2, it's far easier to get the laptop out. The internet radio is a good feature though.
Rob

The box doesn't support html5 fully afaik, but it might be ok.
Could you try installing user-agent faker in Firefox and see about adding in the PS3 user agent.
If you can get playback working on the PC (without using flash) then it will more than likely work on the box.
If you can get this working, if you can supply us these details, we can look at testing it on the box.

I don't know the ins and outs of the iplayer on the box, but I do know that the main files it needs are contained in the firmware (presumably to speed it up), so it would require an update from humax to update it. And if the bbc asked humax, humax would probably ask for cash to do it.

Personally, I don't think the iPlayer app on the Hummy is too bad, it's fairly intuitive to navigate around, just a little sluggish. If anything in the standard portal needs improving, it's the YouTube app - it's terrible! But I agree, adding additional catch-up services such as 4OD or ITVPlayer should be the priority. Incidentally, does the HDR support HBBTV? Humax are members of the consortium. It would be nice to see standardised, non-proprietary apps available for download onto the portal.

Does anyone know if or when the new iPlayer interface, currently on the PS3 only as far as I know ... is coming to the TV Portal
Thanks

I don't have a PS3 so I don't know what I-player on the PS3 looks like, However Your link to the BBC site seems to show I-Player Big Screen, Which as far as I am aware is what the Humax is already using e.g. It looks like THIS as opposed to looking like THIS

The new iplayer interface on my Sony blu-ray BDP-370 is the first of your hyperlinks and is intended to be less cluttered and more suited to TV viewers (so the blurb I read said a few months ago). As mentioned before I find it easier to get around and is a bit quicker to load.
Regards
Rob

As I mentioned a while ago, until somebody can provide a working link to the new interface version, not much we can do.

Forgot all about this over the holidays, sorry...

I don't have a PS3 so I don't know what I-player on the PS3 looks like, However Your link to the BBC site seems to show I-Player Big Screen, Which as far as I am aware is what the Humax is already using e.g. It looks like THIS as opposed to looking like THIS

No, I didn't post a link to the iPlayer. What I said was "It's the normal iPlayer URL, but when accessed using the PS3 user agent". If you access the big screen page whilst spoofing the PS3 user agent you get the new iPlayer. I did post a link to a blog post with video of the new iPlayer so you can see it there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2011/08/bbc_iplayer_connected_tv.html

As I mentioned a while ago, until somebody can provide a working link to the new interface version, not much we can do.
Again, it's the normal iPlayer URL, but when accessed using the PS3 user agent.

I'd already tried this and confirmed it (in post #7). I can get the PS3 interface to load, but not video to playback (it buffers indefinitely). It doesn't use Flash, it's all HTML and presumably JS. However, this only tells you what Firefox can or can't do. I've not tried it on anything else as it's not going to tell us anything more useful, but it does tell us that the page is accessible via user agent spoofing.

If you do want to try it, use Firefox, install the 'User Agent Switcher' plugin and add the agent 'Mozilla/5.0 (PLAYSTATION 3; 3.55)'. Navigate to iPlayer (any link, you'll get redirected to the player anyway) then use the arrow keys to navigate and spacebar to select (this is because it's designed to be used with tv remotes etc). It doesn't look that great in FF, but it does when fullscreened on a big telly.

Here are screenshots:
screenshot20120115at161.png

screenshot20120115at161.png

That's everything I have.

That's the same as what I see when I use the iPlayer app in Viera Connect on my Panasonic TV. Maybe BBC control what everyone sees depending on what user agent is reported?

Back