The UK Driving Test

Doesn't anyone use a handbrake any more?
Not really. It's probably largely laziness, but impatience is probably a factor ... in so much that when things start moving if you are 50msec slow (because you had to apply the footbrake, press the clutch, put it in gear and release the handbrake) the people behind will start hooting at you.
So, especially with an auto, it's easier to just hold it with footbrake.

I wasn't talking about the smell, the reason it's not the approved technique is the risk of cocking it up. The point of a conventional hill start is that you have three points of control not just two.
I was right, you don't understand. With the hill assist it's exactly the same as conventional except I don't have to touch the hb.
You stop, engage hb then clutch-accel, disengage hb.
I stop, hb is engaged without me touching it then clutch-accel hb disengages itself.
Same result except I can never roll back. You can

On the bus today I happened to be sat up front with a view into the cockpit. Bring a bus the steering wheel is much more horizontal than a car and in this one the wheel and binnacle were mounted on a substantial metal column going down to the floor between the driver's feet. Both pedals were to the right of this column making left foot braking virtually Impossible.
I had a peep in the footwell as I was getting off the one I came back on and it was the same layout (single deck bus rather than the double I was up front in, but they might be the same make).
Clearly bus drivers aren't encouraged do left foot braking.

Clearly bus drivers aren't encouraged do left foot braking
Some of the local bus drivers are not very good at gentle braking either - whichever foot. Not quite as bad as the fully laden tram with umpteen standing passengers that did an emergency stop. How I managed to stay upright...

I have a nice dash cam video of a police car going through lights on the last gasp of amber. Not exactly setting a good example!

I expect, if challenged, they'd claim they were on the way to an emergency where blues and twos would scare off the criminals. I remember seeing some programme on Dave (is it called Cop Car Workshop?) where they redesigned the roof light bar to include an always-on blue light (in 999 mode) because of all the red light and bus lane fines they were getting (later cancelled). The flashing lights apparently can sometimes appear off on camera. However, with no blue lights, the police driver should get a ticket, either for red-light violation or careless driving.

That's no surprise! They don't observe solid white lines in the centre of the road either. As for parking on the pavement when on "enquiries". Every time I pass through Nottingham's Old Market Square there's a police car parked on the pavement, PC Plod sat inside, engine running. To be fair, there's no space on the roads - either tram tracks or bus stops, and most of the area is paved (wonder how much that cost the bankrupt City Council).

I remember seeing some programme on Dave (is it called Cop Car Workshop?) where they redesigned the roof light bar to include an always-on blue light (in 999 mode) because of all the red light and bus lane fines they were getting (later cancelled).
It was on mainstream (maybe C4) a good few years ago. I watched it particularly as it was in Cheshire where we lived.
It seems to have spread as I noticed the Hampshire cars (where we now live) have the steady blue in the middle.

I have a nice dash cam video of a police car going through lights on the last gasp of amber. Not exactly setting a good example!
You presumably were behind him, so had more time to stop. IIRC the rule for amber is stop of it is safe to do so, which is obviously subjective. Red is unambiguous of course.

Was it a traffic car or a local plod?

How to tell?

Local plod I expect.

He had plenty of opportunity to stop, was just behaving like any other member of the public (they should be setting an example, IMO).

they should be setting an example, IMO
Mine too.

They are setting an example. Just not a good one. Given that Notts Police have recently referred two deaths as a result of police involvement in driving "accidents" to the IOPC, the consequences of these bad examples are clear. (How is it an investigation by IOPC when reports say a Notts sergeant is investigating? Not a good look. Marking your own homework.)

Marking your own homework.
I got told off for doing my homework in red. They said red was only for the teachers to use. So I wrote in green. They didn't like that either. Then they made us all stop using biros and we had to use fountain pens with liquid ink. What a faff. Bloody schools appear to be just as dictatorial these days if you believe what you read (some of it probably is true, but I suspect a lot of it is journo. enhancement).
The Post Office are trying to get away with that one too!
I want that religious bitch hung out to dry for the Horizon scandal. I suspect lots of others do too. Let's see how she likes having her life ruined.

I want that religious bitch hung out to dry for the Horizon scandal. I suspect lots of others do too. Let's see how she likes having her life ruined.
Absolutely. Anybody involved in putting postmasters in prison when they should have reasonably known there was an accounting bug must serve time themselves, and be personally liable for the compensation. So really that means everyone who read the first auditors report and then dissed it to save their own reputation.

No, standard Indigo blue or something (I don't remember anything other than blue/black), and yes a lot of it got blotted. God knows how there wasn't more chaos with this stuff from teenage kids - some people did like firing ink with the suction in reverse. Eventually common sense prevailed (probably from a different new broom - always has to sweep a new way) and biros were allowed again. What I didn't realise at the time was that this stupidity continues after you leave school, albeit in different forms. The higher up they get, the worse it seemingly becomes though (whether it be managers, councillors, company moguls, MPs, PMs, and all the rest of them in whatever position of power they have).

Back