Thinking of getting the Humax 5000T.

On Demand doesn't seem to be working, I got it yesterday a while after setting it all up but today it just says....
It is not available at the moment.
Please try again later.

It's been displaying that all day though.
Anyone got any idea why?

First I tried disconnecting it from my wifi, no luck, then I just turned the box off and on again, still no luck.
Lastly I pulled out the plug from the power socket and waited 10 or 15 seconds before putting it back in and bingo it worked :)

The 'waited 10 or 15 seconds' what did it. There is no need to pull the plug. You just have to give the PSU sufficient time to completely discharge itself before re-applying the power.
Thanks for the heads up. Nothing special then.

The 'waited 10 or 15 seconds' what did it. There is no need to pull the plug. You just have to give the PSU sufficient time to completely discharge itself before re-applying the power.
Thanks for the heads up. Nothing special then.
No nothing special, it worked though.

Hi all,
Sorry if this has been covered but I can't find the answer.
When watching some channels on my Samsung TV there are black lines either at the side or top and bottom.
We're watching in 16.9, I have tried other screen sizes such as Custom fit but it's still the same.
This didn't happen with the old T2.

The 5000T might not do the same thing as the HDR-FOX. Some of the things the HDR-FOX does can be quite annoying.

Most likely you had the HDR-FOX set to "zoom".

The 5000T might not do the same thing as the HDR-FOX. Some of the things the HDR-FOX does can be quite annoying.

Most likely you had the HDR-FOX set to "zoom".
No I had it on 16.9 and I tried all the other sizes one by one and still had the same issue.

When watching some channels on my Samsung TV there are black lines either at the side or top and bottom.
But is the aspect ratio otherwise correct? If it is, then the picture is correct. Not all pictures are 16x9 - some are 4x3 for old stuff, or 18x9 or 20x9 or worse for arty-farty film types. It is wrong to want to fill the frame in all cases, regardless of the source.

But is the aspect ratio otherwise correct? If it is, then the picture is correct. Not all pictures are 16x9 - some are 4x3 for old stuff, or 18x9 or 20x9 or worse for arty-farty film types. It is wrong to want to fill the frame in all cases, regardless of the source.
Ok thank you...
I never had this with the old T2 though so it seems odd, programs like M*A*S*H on channel 61 filled always filled the screen before now it doesn't.

Like I said, you probably had the HDR-FOX set to "zoom" (accessed from the "WIDE" button on the handset, and also via the settings menu). This expands the whole picture to fill the screen and eliminate any black bars (whether pillar box or letter box) but at the same time losing some of the picture off the screen (either at the sides or top and bottom, according to whether the aspect ratio is too great or too small).

At least that preserves the aspect ratio of objects in the picture. The alternative "auto" expands the picture in just one direction to fill the horizontal or vertical as required, but with the associated squishing or stretching of objects. Some people don't seem to mind that, but it bothers me.

The remaining options on the WIDE menu (HDR-FOX) are "letter box" and "pillar box", which produces the black bars (my preference).

Note this is only really to do with presenting a 4:3 broadcast on a 16:9 TV, or a 16:9 broadcast on a 4:3 TV, and is also critically dependent on the broadcast being accompanied by the correct aspect ratio flags (they don't always match), also, some broadcasters always use 16:9 flags and impose their own black bars within the picture itself - nothing you can do about that, and if you can't see them it's because your TV permanently zooms the picture and nothing to do with the HDR-FOX.

Wide screen movies (greater than 16:9) are always broadcast as either a zoomed centre section (which may track with the action within the frame) or with letter box bars within the actual picture (the broadcast flags can only do 4:3 and 16:9).

All that is about what the HDR-FOX does. If you didn't understand how you had the HDR-FOX set up, you won't know how to set up the 5000T to match it (or whether it can be set up that way). The TV itself is also implicated, as that has settings that affect presentation, possibly configurable differently for different HDMI inputs (are you using the same input as you had the HDR-FOX on?).

More info here: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/aspect-ratio.2045

Last edited:
Posted Simultaneously with BH.
M*A*S*H was made in 4x3 so your old setup either stretched them horizontally to fill the 16x9 screen making all the actors look and fat, or over-scanned the top and bottom which likely cut off their heads and feet at top and bottom of the picture. When viewing 4x3 you should have black bars both sides, and when watching a 21x9 film you should have a black bars top and bottom. If you don't then you are stretching the picture to fill the 16x9 screen, thus badly distorting the image.

@BH. I have seen some movies are transmitted in 21x9, but as you say, it's not usual.
@OP. Told you to stick with the T2:frantic:

Last edited:
Posted Simultaneously with BH.
M*A*S*H was made in 4x3 so your old setup either stretched them horizontally to fill the 16x9 screen making all the actors look and fat, or over-scanned the top and bottom which likely cut off their heads and feet at top and bottom of the picture. When viewing 4x3 you should have black bars both sides, and when watching a 21x9 film you should have a black bars top and bottom. If you don't then you are stretching the picture to fill the 16x9 screen, thus badly distorting the image.

@BH. I have seen some movies are transmitted in 21x9, but as you say, it's not usual.
@OP. Told you to stick with the T2:frantic:
Actually it looked fine with the old T2, unless we just got used to how it looked.
I would have stuck with it longer until it completely died but it was getting very contrary :)

Like I said, you probably had the HDR-FOX set to "zoom" (accessed from the "WIDE" button on the handset, and also via the settings menu). This expands the whole picture to fill the screen and eliminate any black bars (whether pillar box or letter box) but at the same time losing some of the picture off the screen (either at the sides or top and bottom, according to whether the aspect ration is too great or too small).

At least that preserves the aspect ration of objects in the picture. The alternative "auto" expands the picture in just one direction to fill the horizontal or vertical as required, but with the associated squishing or stretching of objects. Some people don't seem to mind that, but it bothers me.

The remaining options on the WIDE menu (HDR-FOX) are "letter box" and "pillar box", which produces the black bars (my preference).

Note this is only really to do with presenting a 4:3 broadcast on a 16:9 TV, or a 16:9 broadcast on a 4:3 TV, and is also critically dependent on the broadcast being accompanied by the correct aspect ratio flags (they don't always match), also, some broadcasters always use 16:9 flags and impose their own black bars within the picture itself - nothing you can do about that, and if you can't see them it's because your TV permanently zooms the picture and nothing to do with the HDR-FOX.

Wide screen movies (greater than 16:9) are always broadcast as either a zoomed centre section (which may track with the action within the frame) or with letter box bars within the actual picture (the broadcast flags can only do 4:3 and 16:9).

All that is about what the HDR-FOX does. If you didn't understand how you had the HDR-FOX set up, you won't know how to set up the 5000T to match it (or whether it can be set up that way). The TV itself is also implicated, as that has settings that affect presentation, possibly configurable differently for different HDMI inputs (are you using the same input as you had the HDR-FOX on?).

More info here: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/aspect-ratio.2045
Ok..
Thank you for all the info which I will try and absorb :)

You obviously got used to having loads of 4x3 fat people trolling around in a 16x9 pic then.:frantic:
Not if it was set to zoom rather than auto.

But that's not with a 21:9 flag is it? Does the broadcast system include a 21:9 option? AFAIK 2.35:1 is simply provided with embedded letter box bars in a 16:9 aspect frame.

I think you're right BH, It must have been set to to zoom but we had it for such a long time that we never changed anything on it for years, it just worked how we wanted it and I didn't give any more thought to the settings once done.

I have set the 5000T to zoom now and it looks fine on the programmes being broadcast right now and I can change it to suit if need be.

I'm learning things I didn't know so thanks both :)

As I said, if you have it set to zoom, it provably cuts off the top and bottom of old stuff broadcast in 4x3. (Unless it makes people look fat and then it's stretching the pic to fit horizontally without stretching it vertically.

But that's not with a 21:9 flag is it? Does the broadcast system include a 21:9 option? AFAIK 2.35:1 is simply provided with embedded letter box bars in a 16:9 aspect frame.
Don't know, but I know I have seen movies with black bands top and bottom. Whether that was from my T2 or my TV I can't rightly remember. But I suspect that you are right about embedded top and bottom bars.

Back