Thinking of getting the Humax 5000T.

But I suspect that you are right about embedded top and bottom bars.
Yes - for wide-screen movies on broadcast TV, the letterboxing is simply part of the broadcast picture. Imagine what that would be like displayed on a 4:3 TV with the Hummy set to "letterbox"!

As I said, if you have it set to zoom, it provably cuts off the top and bottom of old stuff broadcast in 4x3. (Unless it makes people look fat and then it's stretching the pic to fit horizontally without stretching it vertically.
Yes it most likely does, we prefer that to the bars either side though.

Hawkeye looks just as yummy with a little of his head cut off ;)

Nah. No cut-offs, and 1:1 aspect for me (even if it does mean black sidebars).

Note that even with that the TV itself over-scans (cuts off a few pixels all around) - if set to 1:1 or "just scan", the actual picture edges jump around (especially with something like BBC Breakfast, where video is supplied from multiple sources). The broadcasters seem to rely on having a dead band to play with, for reasons unknown (as I have previously noted, that was necessary for analogue TV, but now it's digital...).

Nah. No cut-offs, and 1:1 aspect for me (even if it does mean black sidebars).

Note that even with that the TV itself over-scans (cuts off a few pixels all around) - if set to 1:1 or "just scan", the actual picture edges jump around (especially with something like BBC Breakfast, where video is supplied from multiple sources). The broadcasters seem to rely on having a dead band to play with, for reasons unknown (as I have previously noted, that was necessary for analogue TV, but now it's digital...).
:)

Ok...Noted :)

Don't know, but I know I have seen movies with black bands top and bottom. Whether that was from my T2 or my TV I can't rightly remember. But I suspect that you are right about embedded top and bottom bars.
The BBC has a new habit of making some programmes in an odd aspect ratio - which I've nicknamed double widescreen. (Not sure of the true aspect ratio. The black lines top and bottom on my old 4:3 tv are about twice the size and the viewable picture is a tiny strip in the middle). The top and bottom bars seem to be embedded in the [16:9] picture. Strange, they know the aspect ratio of widescreen tvs, so why do it? Some Danish imports seen on BBC4 are the same.

The reason I asked is that when I first bought an HDR-2000T it was for a 4:3 TV, but it went back the next day purely because of the aspect controls for the 4:3 TV-set settings not functioning but just operating as if 'Auto' was always selected. Not being able to zoom in slighly on some of the ultra letterbox films compared to what can be done with an HDR-FOX T2 is not for me.
With a 4:3 TV with the HDR-FOX T2 and similar I use to have it set to 14:9 which zoomed in enough without obviously overdoing it.

It's not really for me either. It's a pain in the bum. But compared to what other people moan about, it's trivial. Humax should have sorted the problem, but never did and now never will. I just have to live with the annoyance. If I could be bothered I could probably download a StdDef programme and patch the AFD setting and return it to the Humax for a better experience. But why bother? As BH would say - "it's only telly". :D

Does anyone else have a problem with Channel 68, Tru tv?
I never had a problem with my old box but on the 5000T it breaks up and loses reception, it's unwatchable.
Any ideas please?

Tru TV is transmitted on the local multiplex.
Some transmitters have had the frequency for that multiplex recently changed. If that has happened to your transmitter then it may just be coincidence that it happened at the same time as you have bought an FVP-5000T and the cause could be that the signal can't be received as well as it use to be.
Mine has gone from almost always watchable to frequently unwatchable.
This is also reflected in the prediction of the 'Detailed view' at http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/index/dummy/NA/yes

Tru TV is transmitted on the local multiplex.
Some transmitters have had the frequency for that multiplex recently changed. If that has happened to your transmitter then it may just be coincidence that it happened at the same time as you have bought an FVP-5000T and the cause could be that the signal can't be received as well as it use to be.
Mine has gone from almost always watchable to frequently unwatchable.
This is also reflected in the prediction of the 'Detailed view' at http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/index/dummy/NA/yes
Ah ok....
Thank you for your help :)

Back