Time limit on editing PM's

It is reliable if you treat it as a notification and ignore the digest content. That's what I will do from now on.

I still don't think extended editing intervals are a good idea because the poster has no control over when the recipient reads it (handshake problem). One could post another message to say there has been an update, but then one could equally post the modified post. Full history (updated Xenforo) will also be necessary to audit disputes.

There is no time limit set on editing any of your own posts in the forum, yet there is a '5 minutes after posting' limit imposed on editing PM's. Seems a bit pointless to me, can this be removed ?
I have now removed the time limit, could you check to see if you are now able to edit your conversation posts.

It's horrible. I'm going to turn off the e-mail notification as it's not reliable.

Edit: Well, I would if I could find somewhere to change e-mail preferences :oops:
There is an option that will not include full message text in personal conversation email notifications, the recipient will need to visit the forum to read the message.
Options- Email Options - Admin CP - hummy.tv.png

There is an option that will not include full message text in personal conversation email notifications, the recipient will need to visit the forum to read the message.
View attachment 1026

Can't find that one Brian, though I have now found one for:
Receive email when a new conversation message is received
Email notifications for new conversations, replies to existing conversations, and being added to an existing conversation.

Can't find that one Brian, though I have now found one for:
Receive email when a new conversation message is received
Email notifications for new conversations, replies to existing conversations, and being added to an existing conversation.
It is a forum setting, and not a user setting.

Is that ridiculous in the same way that there is no time limit set on editing your own posts in the forum?;)
I'm not certain whether to answer YES or NO to that, but let me set out my argument.

If you make a mistake in a PM that you can't edit, it doesn't matter because you can send another one to correct it. The only person it MAY confuse is the recipient of the PM. It will clutter his inbox, which he can delete if he/she so wants after getting the right gen.

On the forum, your mistake/duff gen is there in perpetuity (unless you can edit it and correct the info so that 'it's right first time') and people reading it (note: people, not person) may get the wrong gen and do something wrong as per your post unless they read all the posts, or don't notice your amendment in a later post. This could lead to reader confusion AND unnecessarily clutter the forums with later additions.

Whereas PMs are personal to the recipient and any correction to your previous PM is flagged up to the recipient by email, bringing his direct attention to the fact that you have sent another one. Forum posts are totally different as they are there for all to see and there is no direct method of warning everyone who has read your post that you have made a correction/change to it.

As the principle of communication is different, the method of correction should also be different.
I rest my case, but will probably be back later to completely change my opinion so as to completely confuse everyone.

I think that's pretty much what I said already. The decision of the admin appears to be completely irrational, just because one user wants to use the conversation system in a different way.

If there is a need to run a sub-forum for a particular group (developers, for example) they can be given a forum section to which only members of that specific group have access. There is no need to break the conversation system for everyone else just to accommodate this specific request.

There is no need to break the conversation system for everyone else just to accommodate this specific request.
The conversation system is not broken B.H. Xenforo, the software developers, have provided the option to turn conversation editing time limits on or off. The admins here have decided that we, as responsible adults, can have the choice to edit a PM or not. The important thing to bear in mind here is that it is a choice, it's not compulsory. As you yourself have already pointed out, the message digest is emailed on posting, and not at the end of the edit expiry, so what's the difference, 5 minutes, or 50 minutes, it's still the same.

If the recipients of your own PM's are likely to become confused by this then there is a very simple solution. Discipline yourself not to edit your PM's. I know it will be hard for you, considering how freely you have used the edit facility in the past in general forum postings, but you can try.
This whole issue really is is a storm in a teacup, but if you are still not happy then I suggest you take your own advice.
If you are really bothered, there is a Xenforo forum to debate it on.

There is no need to break the conversation system for everyone else just to accommodate this specific request.
How exactly is the conversation system broken? If you do not wish to edit your post, then there is No change to you.

The decision of the admin appears to be completely irrational, just because one user wants to use the conversation system in a different way.
Not at all, this is a feature that has been requested previously by a number of very prominent forum members.

Back