Time shifted program watching

WightWalker

If the TVs been left on & I've missed the beginning of a recorded program, I can 'rewind' back to the beginning but it's most annoying that program stops before the end when the actual recording finishes.

OK. I've not lost the ending as it's been recorded & I can replay the recording skipping to the point where it was previously 'shut down'.

But why does this happen - my old Freview Topfield didn't do this!

Rule 1 of using a PVR: If it is worth watching it is worth recording.

Do not rely on the time-shifting feature.

@ gomez. Does not really answer WightWalker's question
@WightWalker. It does that on my hummy as well. Probably all of them. I believe it's another of Humax's unaddressed software bugs. It's really annoying, is'nt it :-(

@Gomez
OK, You win :)
@Luke.
But an overrunning program is not the problem. WightWalker has explained the problem in his first post.
You do not loose the end of your recording, but whilst you are watching the time slipped version that you are recording, the PVR switches to live tv when the live program ends, and then you have to rewind the recorded programme to the point that you were watching when it switches to live tv.

Just had another thought. Rule 1, although being valid, does not apply in this case.
Try this on for size. Set your recorder to record a program that runs from say 6 to 7pm that you want to start watching at 6:30. At 6:30, go to your rcording and start playing it. At 7pm the box will stop recording the end of the programme and switch from the playback of your 30min 'time slipped' recording to live TV. You now have to rewind the recorded programme to the half way point.
So although you have correctly applied Rule 1. You still have to do a rewind job on the recording and as such is really annoying. :-( But I am prepared to be proved wrong!! :)

You are wrong. For this to happen you must not be chase-playing the recording but watching the live channel time-shifted. A subtle but important difference.

You need to go in Archive and starting playing the recording you find in there. The Foxsat is actually making two recording of the same channel in this scenario, the one you asked for and the time-shift buffer. Daft but that is the way it is. Not all PVRs do it this way.

"You need to go in Archive and starting playing the recording you find in there" That's what I thought that I was doing and I see the subtle difference. But I was sure that I was watching the recording not the buffer but I was probably wrong and will submit to your superior knowledge (for the time being :)) until I have tried it.

"Daft but that is the way it is. Not all PVRs do it this way" Presumably the Topfield isn't one of them.

You are very definatly wrong.

I just did the very same thing with Dr Who. IT DID NOT DROP TO LIVE TV WHEN IT STOPPED RECORDING. The only difference was the scrolling display changed from BBC ONE HD to saying Dr Who...
Do you have a Foxsat HDR as well as your HDR-FOX T2?;)

So I still need to check it out then. I'll do it after the X Faxtor:frantic::rolleyes: In fact I'll put it on record, go for a fag and start it playing when I get back and see if it drops out at 9pm;)

Haven't yet done the check, but had another read of the OP post. It seems like he WAS applying Rule 1, otherwise this very annoying feature would not have raised its ugly head. Had he just used the time shifted 'rewind and watch' from the buffer, the prog would not have bombed out at programme end unless he was recording it.
It's still a annoying unaddressed by Humax feature of the HDR software, along with the new, very annoying 'improvement' of 'cannot record from guide until it's fully downloaded' feature. I do know the work around, but it's a pain in the butt that wasn't there until the latest 'upgrade'

Had he just used the time shifted 'rewind and watch' from the buffer, the prog would not have bombed out at programme end unless he was recording it.
Not necessarily. There are other circumstance which can cause this to happen such as both tuners needed to start recording programmes at the time of this programme ends - not a bug and not behaviour that can be changed unless you want to missed a scheduled recording by giving preference to keeping the time-shift buffer.

And if the OP was applying Rule 1 correctly they would have been chase-playing the recording rather than watching using the time-shift buffer.

I can understand your latest point of view and the occasion that might just occur under certain circumstances, but it seems to happen under under all circumstances when you are just recording the one programme and watching the time shifted buffer, which leaves one whole tuner free for any subsequent, non-existent in this case, recording.

Back