TIVO user 6 months on

socrates

Having switched from a vintage TIVO to the HDR T2 about 6 months ago it now seems fair to make some general observations/comparisons. Some initial responses to the HDR were in hindsight just a normal response to any change after such a long time - eg I found the remote cluttered and prioritising the wrong functions. I considered a replacement but never got round to it and of course I'm now quite used to the HDR one.

However overall I have to say that as a consumer device the HDR seems quite flawed compared with the TIVO. Don't get me wrong, in many ways it is much more capable and I like it. But it does seem to require a tech savvy user rather than someone who just wants to watch a bit of telly. All the nonsense about having to do a manual tune rather than auto to avoid randomly loosing recordings, forced retunes, lost schedules etc. When you consider that TV shops still do business with retuning sets for customers how on earth is the average user supposed to cope? Most have no idea what transmitter they receive from or what a MUX is. Won't they just conclude the thing doesn't work?

I wonder how many HDRs have been sold compared with the number of users this site has. I suspect we make up a fairly small percentage and if so would have to be considered unrepresentative of the user community.

There does seem to be a problem (call it stubbornness if you like) with Humax's product philosophy, they have quite often produced previous products that have had better implementation of features or just better features, than their current model. In this case the fact that they seem to take no notice of Signal strength / Quality when it comes to sorting duplicate signals, even though the YouView version seems to manage this and so I am told, do previous models

I previously had a pvr800t as well as the TiVo. I don't recall it having the same problems, though it was only used for BBC3 and 4 so maybe it wouldn't show. I can't remember if it had the series link option at all - I used the TiVo for that.

I previously had a pvr800t as well as the TiVo. I don't recall it having the same problems, though it was only used for BBC3 and 4 so maybe it wouldn't show. I can't remember if it had the series link option at all - I used the TiVo for that.
The PVR800 didn't have series link nor was it Freeview compliant and so it wouldn't be affected by the multiple transmitter issue. Also the multiple transmitter issue has became more serious as DSO progressed and the digital transmission powers were increased.

Back