Took a chance on Aura from Australia

Nodeity

Hey guys, I got utterly sick of the pathetic lineup of so-called "current OTA PVR's" in Oz, and having found the Aura I immediately became envious of it... so I bought one! I also bought a 12v 2a power supply, and both are on their way as we speak. Having said that, I am wondering if there is the possibility that someone is making a custom Firmware for it yet? It has been out for a while from what I can see. As it stands, I'm hoping the thing will pick up our generic EPG too, or I'm going to be in trouble with "She who must be obeyed". Also, as an aside, I notice that Humax don't post their FW updates for download and install via USB, is there any place on the net that does supply it? I'm not sure the box will update from Australia. Any help with my particular situation from your experts would be greatly appreciated. :)

I am wondering if there is the possibility that someone is making a custom Firmware for it yet?
No, but it's based on Android... I'm not sure how one might go about "rooting" it like a phone though.

I notice that Humax don't post their FW updates for download and install via USB, is there any place on the net that does supply it?
USB and OTA firmware updates date from an era when there was a significant proportion of end users without Internet. Now an Internet connection is all but universal, firmware updating is via that. Manufacturers like it in particular because they can keep the user out of the loop, and use secure protocols.

I'm not sure the box will update from Australia.
Why not? I suppose there is a chance Humax have regionalised the access, but I don't see why they would.

I would be more concerned whether the Aura has been targetted for reception of Australian TV and includes settings appropriate for the Australian broadcast system. Time will tell...

Last edited:
"USB and OTA firmware updates date from an era when there was a significant proportion of end users without Internet."
Yeah, but there are still a lot of manufacturers that use both, specially here. :)
"Why not? I suppose there is a chance Humax have regionalised the access"
I'm hoping it will update Ok, otherwise I may have to figure out how to get my router to temporarily run through a VPN to get the latest.
Thanks, though. Hopefully someone else can give me some more details. :)

I'm hoping the thing will pick up our generic EPG too, or I'm going to be in trouble with "She who must be obeyed".
You'll need to first tune it in to your Australian frequencies.
With the UK HDR-FOX T2 there is a hidden menu which does include Australia, but from some previous posts, setting that to "Germany" can work better.
There's no guarantee that the Aura will be similar.

There are? Like who? Maybe the Internet isn't so universal in some places, so it would depend on any particular manufacturer's market sector for any particular product.

You'll find tips on how to format your posts here: Newbies' Guide to the Forum (click)
Like all of them! Including Humax.au! You know Australia isn't some backwater that never sees the light of day right? ;) We just aren't a big enough market for the big Corporations to make money off of... yet! :/
All of the major players are at least 5 to 6 years out of date except Beyonwiz, which I own, but even they are behind the times and their last box, will be their last box, unfortunately.

You'll need to first tune it in to your Australian frequencies.
With the UK HDR-FOX T2 there is a hidden menu which does include Australia, but from some previous posts, setting that to "Germany" can work better.
There's no guarantee that the Aura will be similar.
I don't suppose I could get some kind soul to do a temporary scan of the available countries on their Aura and let me know if Australia is on the list? That would ease the stress somewhat. Thanks ahead of time to anyone who would do that. :)

I don't suppose I could get some kind soul to do a temporary scan of the available countries on their Aura and let me know if Australia is on the list? That would ease the stress somewhat.
Since you bought it, doesn't sound that you were so stressed.

I don't suppose I could get some kind soul to do a temporary scan of the available countries on their Aura and let me know if Australia is on the list?
Nobody has said there is a hidden menu on the Aura although it exists on other Humax boxes. I have tried the usual colour keys combination but that doesn't bring up a hidden menu. So either there is no hidden menu or it is accessed in a different way.

@Nodeity
Logic suggests that as there is a HumaxAu and it does not offer an Aura for sale that you may have purchased an expensive paper weight. Have you tried to contact Humax in Oz or the UK for information ?

edit............I just looked at the language choices on my Aura and they include English UK, English US, English Canada, English India and English Australia also English XC whatever that is. I am not sure if that suggests any hope for you though it does make me question what differs between Oz English and UK English, I thought unlike the US you spell everything the same as here.

Last edited:
Being an Android system, this would all be under Settings would it not?
The only thing I can see is that under Settings> General settings> Device preferences there is an option to change the language; a short test suggests this only changes the language for the Android part of the system and the Humax apps remain in English.

@Nodeity
Logic suggests that as there is a HumaxAu and it does not offer an Aura for sale that you may have purchased an expensive paper weight. Have you tried to contact Humax in Oz or the UK for information ?

edit............I just looked at the language choices on my Aura and they include English UK, English US, English Canada, English India and English Australia also English XC whatever that is. I am not sure if that suggests any hope for you though it does make me question what differs between Oz English and UK English, I thought unlike the US you spell everything the same as here.
If it doesn't work, I'll sell it on, but I'm hoping it is at the very least capable of picking up our generic EPG. I have no use for the Australian version of Freeview, it's a controversial subject here. :)

The only thing I can see is that under Settings> General settings> Device preferences there is an option to change the language; a short test suggests this only changes the language for the Android part of the system and the Humax apps remain in English.

I think I was misinterpreted when I asked if Australia was on the list, I was asking about the channel/station scanner, not language. Is it possible someone could check their box and see if the channel scan has Australia available as an option? Or at the very least tell me if the box is able to pick up any local stations during a scan regardless of the country it is in? I would think, at the very least, it should be able to find the local stuff? Thanks

The scanner gives no options for country just auto or manual scan.
" capable of picking up our generic EPG. I have no use for the Australian version of Freeview" The epg just shows the Freeview schedule.
Does Oz even use the same broadcast system as here in the UK? I see that the boxes offered on HumaxAu are not just versions of those offered here previously.

The scanner gives no options for country just auto or manual scan.
" capable of picking up our generic EPG. I have no use for the Australian version of Freeview" The epg just shows the Freeview schedule.
Does Oz even use the same broadcast system as here in the UK? I see that the boxes offered on HumaxAu are not just versions of those offered here previously.
From what I could find out, the Aura uses DVB-T2 and the Beyonwiz I'm currently on is using the same. Which is why I took the chance on the Aura in the first place. I guess it will come down to how proprietary Humax has become with taking full control of the user settings. Thanks though :)

Back