Transfer from HDR-FOX T2 box to FOXSAT HD box

Dr Bones

Dear clever people at hummy.tv
I'm really sorry if I'm doing this wrong, but I've never really posted a question before. I've had a HDR FOX T2 and only recently came across hummy.tv and blindly managed to load the custom firmware and it has changed my useage of the box immeasurably. Thanks for that.
I visit Spain a lot and stay in a friends apartment that has an old ragged sky sd box playing on a nice new hd tv and it is like watching an old lady wearing a miniskirt! So, I've just purchased a FOXSAT HD box to take there and hopefully be able to watch sky (free) channels in decent HD.
My question is this: What I'd also like to do is to take my recorded content from my HDR FOX T2 freeview box and watch it while I'm there. I have a spare external hard drive floating around doing nothing. So:
1) Will it be possible
2) How do I go about doing it. I'd really love a detailed (idiot-proof) explanation, such has how to format the hard drive first (i.e. what file system to format in), how to transfer the files to the hard drive and how to be sure they will work on the foxsat box
3) Finally, will I be able to record stuff (from sky) using the foxsat HD box + the hard drive while I'm in Spain in the same way as I can record stuff on freeview at home using my HDR FOX T2 at home. i.e. just by pressing "record" on the guide?
I know that non-techy people like me can be a bit of a pain, but equally, we really apreaciate what you clever guys do and how kind you are in helping us...

[Topic originally posted in the HDR-FOX section]

I think this would be best in the Foxsat section, moderators will move it for you. Foxsat users will be better placed to answer.

I'm no expert, but I don't think the Foxsat box will receive Sky (except Sky content that is available on Freesat). If you want to record you will need the Foxsat HDR (not the HD, which is only a receiver, unless it is able to record to an external drive the way a HD-FOX does [Update: apparently the Foxsat HD does not have record capability]).

To have any hope of playing HDR-FOX content on the Foxsat, you will need to ensure the content is decrypted. See notes in Things Every... section 5.

I'm no expert, but I don't think the Foxsat box will receive Sky (except Sky content that is available on Freesat). If you want to record you will need the Foxsat HDR (not the HD, which is only a receiver, unless it is able to record to an external drive the way a HD-FOX does).

To have any hope of playing HDR-FOX content on the Foxsat, you will need to ensure the content is decrypted.
Thanks for that Black Hole: It is only the free channels on sky I'm hoping to receive. I know about the bit on the custom firmware where you can decrypt the recordings. I've only just done that now (so I hope it decrypts the existing recordings). Is it then just a case of transferring to a hard drive and the plugging that into the foxsat box? Does anyone know if that will actually work?

I know about the bit on the custom firmware where you can decrypt the recordings. I've only just done that now (so I hope it decrypts the existing recordings). Is it then just a case of transferring to a hard drive and the plugging that into the foxsat box? Does anyone know if that will actually work?
Sorry it will not work. Assuming you really have the FOXSAT HD box then it has no capability to play back (or make recordings).

I know about the bit on the custom firmware where you can decrypt the recordings. I've only just done that now (so I hope it decrypts the existing recordings).

What have you done exactly? Set up recursive auto-decrypt? You will need the auto-unprotect package for HiDef recordings.

There is no actual need to decrypt, unless you intend to use the recordings elsewhere. If your means of transport is an external USB, the decryption will happen when you copy to the drive (using the remote control, not the WebIF).

Is it too late to return the FoxsatHD and get a FoxsatHDR?

What have you done exactly? Set up recursive auto-decrypt? You will need the auto-unprotect package for HiDef recordings.

There is no actual need to decrypt, unless you intend to use the recordings elsewhere. If your means of transport is an external USB, the decryption will happen when you copy to the drive (using the remote control, not the WebIF).

Is it too late to return the FoxsatHD and get a FoxsatHDR?
I've added the auto-unprotect now. Thanks.
No, it isn't too late to return and get the Foxsat HDR - but just to reconfirm: You are saying that I won't be able to transfer freeview recordings from my HD-FOX T2 to the Foxsat HD (via usb hard drive), but I will be able to transfer freeview recordings (via usb hard drive) from my HD-FOX T2 if I get a Foxsat HDR?

I am not an expert on the FOXSAT models but until somebody more knowledgeable answers I will give you my thoughts. The FOXSAT-HDR is fussier about playing external recordings than the Freeview box. You will need to use Raydon's AV2HDR program to create the necessary sidecar files. Have you considered using a separate media player device and the FOXSAT-HD for live TV as an alternative to a FOXSAT-HDR?

I am not an expert on the FOXSAT models but until somebody more knowledgeable answers I will give you my thoughts. The FOXSAT-HDR is fussier about playing external recordings than the Freeview box. You will need to use Raydon's AV2HDR program to create the necessary sidecar files. Have you considered using a separate media player device and the FOXSAT-HD for live TV as an alternative to a FOXSAT-HDR?
Thanks for that reply Martin. It seems clear to me that it is not as easy as I had hoped to transfer files between these two devices - and I'm not proficient enough at technology to try! I'll return the Foxsat HD box and give up!
My sincere thanks to everyone that gave advice - you've saved me money and a lot of time and frustration...

It's got to be worth posting the question in the FoxsatHDR section before you give up. People with a FoxsatHDR (and the relevant experience) might not take any notice of posts in the FoxsatHD section.

You can run them through Raydon's AV2HDR though and then they should be playable.

Can anyone confirm that is the case?

The OP was asking (in summary) whether it is a practical proposition (let's disregard the details) to play back HDR-FOX recordings on a Foxsat-HD, or failing that a Foxsat-HDR. If the latter he will be seeking to return the HD in exchange for an HDR, hence the need for a definitive answer.

There seems a notable reticence on this section of the forum.

Thanks for that everyone, especially Black Hole, who is great at clearing things up for newbie like me. I had originally hoped that I would purchase a Foxsat HD and take it to Spain to watch the freesat channels there, and also be able to simply drag my recordings from my HD-FOX T2 onto a usb drive and take them to Spain and watch them as well (both HS and SD). I realise now:
1) That's not at all possible with the Foxsat HD
2) SD recordings are quite easily possible with the Foxsat HDR, but even then, not as easily as I'd hoped. Each file needs to be converted one at a time using AV2HDR. Converting HD recodrings is more complicated.
3) I've also realised that the price difference between the Foxsat HD and the Foxsat HDR means that it is not going to be as cheap as I'd anticipated - given this device is for someone else's apartment that I stay at a few weeks a year, I don't think it makes sense for me (hence I didn't post the question in the Foxsat HDR section as I'd said I would, Black Hole)
So, for me personally, at this time, the matter is concluded. Thanks again for all your advice and letting me hae a bit of your technological skill.

You could purchase a Raspberry Pi relatively cheaply and that could play back decrypted HDR Fox-T2 recordings to an HDMI connected TV. As always, other solutions are available!

Back