Transfer Radio Recordings to PC using only PC

ian_j

My current method is as follows:

Humax - Send to attached USB memory stick.
PC - Use FileZilla to transfer file from USB stick to PC and then convert.

I've tried via FileZilla on it's own but the files I presume are encrypted.

Is there any way to transfer the files from Humax to PC without using the Humax itself?

Only by installing the customised firmware. With that you have a number of options.

This method works for me:
Record the program on the Humax say 708 (Radio4 Extra)
Decrypt it
transfer to my PC with Core ftp over network
stream/save with VLC (Videolan) using MP3 profile
Edit the MP3 with MP3 Surgeon to take away the start and ending announcements
The MP3 should play with anything that will play audio.
That's it.

Humax - Send to attached USB memory stick.
That is necessary to decrypt the file, unless you use custom firmware to do it (see Things Every... (click) section 5, and count radio recordings as StDef). There is an alternative, which I will mention in a minute.

PC - Use FileZilla to transfer file from USB stick to PC and then convert... Is there any way to transfer the files from Humax to PC without using the Humax itself?
Why not just move the UPD to the PC, if you want to avoid FileZilla?

I've tried via FileZilla on it's own but the files I presume are encrypted.
They are until you use the Humax remote control to copy to USB.

Here's what I do (using the custom firmware facilities, let's take the recording part as read):
  1. Auto-decrypt (could manually decrypt via WebIF);
  2. Auto-audio (extracts a pseudo-MP3 from the TS, could manually extract audio via WebIF);
  3. The HDR is visible on my PC as a network drive (samba), so I can see the .MP3 in File Manager (I rename it .MP2 for traceability);
  4. Load the MP2 in Audacity (right-click on the file, Open With...);
  5. Top & tail using Audacity's editing;
  6. Export to MP3 (either back to the HDR or somewhere else - often a UPD for the car).
The only thing wrong with this process is the time it takes Audacity to load and then export the files.

Another way (without CF) is to stream the recording to the PC and capture to a file (at network speed, not real time), this transfers the recording to the PC and decrypts it at the same time. The resulting file will still be a .TS and need extracting the MP2 audio track and converting to MP3 (note that some audio players can play the .MP2 as if it were a .MP3, but not my car audio). More information about this method of decryption is available HERE (click).

PC - Use FileZilla to transfer file from USB stick to PC and then convert.

Why do you need to use FileZilla for this step? Doesn't the USB stick just appear in Windows explorer as a removable storage device that you can copy or move files to and from?

For simplicity, if you are not constrained by file format and have the custom firmware installed, try iPlayer for BBC content. I use an Android tablet, but it should also work on a Windows PC. If you start playing the programme in iPlayer, wait until downloading is finished and save using Web-If, then copy by your preferred method. The file format is .mp4 but playing it, on Android, is straightforward plus no topping and tailing required.

For simplicity, if you are not constrained by file format and have the custom firmware installed, try iPlayer for BBC content.
Unless it's from BBC World Service.
BBC World Service does not show up pre 1.03.06, and on 1.03.06 and 1.03.11 you can see the programmes on the station list but they are all marked 'COMING SOON'.

I think we should draw back to non-customised solutions, we are in that section after all and the OP is clearly not using it.

I think we should draw back to non-customised solutions, we are in that section after all and the OP is clearly not using it.
Fair enough, but upgrading to 1.03.06 will at least make iPlayer radio available, and that has nothing to do with custom firmware.
In an earlier post I suggested a CF solution in a non-CF thread, which was perhaps remiss of me, but I am not the first poster in this thread to have done so.

It has been known for people to recommend get iplayer on this board since I've seen it. You set it up for a watching brief of what you are interested in e.g. the programmes and it downloads them from the BBC directory to PC, the national ones come as MP4a, the regional ones as MP3 and if your player doesn't handle MP4a you can set it up to convert to MP3.

Horses for courses I use the Humax for the regular stuff like The Archers (I know it's terrible etc) but for regional BBC Scotland I use Get iPlayer... also when I'm out visiting the media player at the location picks up off my laptop so no need to do conversions - not specific conversions other than the automated activities of get iplayer. My moans just after Xmas was that the custom software didn't do the conversion to full MP3 in the box, I know why now, but there was mis labelling. At location I had a useless file from the Humax back at home.

So I reckon if you need a portable solution away from home that is automated and you take your laptop / netbook with you, you use Get iPlayer so you have your materiel downloaded like a juke box. As long as you access it once a week it keeps up todate if you have the "PVR" set up on start up - works abroad as well. If it's mostly at home for occasional use out side then a Humax solution along the lines above.

In an earlier post I suggested a CF solution in a non-CF thread, which was perhaps remiss of me, but I am not the first poster in this thread to have done so.

Don't worry I've recommended a non Humax solution. Hmmm you know why I recommended get iPlayer since down in England we don't have Radio Scotland on the BBC iPlayer on Freeview so no Travelling Folk with Bruce'y boy or a weeks worth of BBC Radio Scotland's Celtic Connections. Ditto Wales as well, so Humax iPlayer limits you to the region you are in, unless someone in Scotland or Wales tells me otherwise i.e. no regional iPlayer on the Humax including the World so it seems.

Why do you need to use FileZilla for this step? Doesn't the USB stick just appear in Windows explorer as a removable storage device that you can copy or move files to and from?

Never looked, I am comfortable using FileZilla to manage files between the Humax and my PC's.

I now have a regime in place that works for my radio recordings that allows me to transfer them to my mp3 player and listen at my leisure.

Many thanks for everyone's help.

The Archers I have piped through to the kitchen via the phono out of the Humax so I record that on the Humax. Optical out goes in the AV amp for use in the lounge. You recreate 10 o'Clock at a more variable time. The sat box daisy chains via Scart to also feed the kitchen - I fear I may get a lecture from BH on the SCART connection but it works for me.

Back