Transfer recordings from Foxsat-HDR to HDR-1100S

My final word, I promise. It seems that Windows will not let you format a USB drive (2 or 3) which is larger than 32Gb in anything other than exFAT or NTFS. However you can do this using other software so I have managed to format a 64Gb USB3 drive in FAT 32 and after some delay it is recognised by the 1100S and it will play a movie file.

The inbuilt Windows fat32 formatter does not cater for formatting drives greater than 32GB in size.
I haven't needed to format to FAT32 for anything larger than 32GB for a couple of years, partly due to its limitation of 4GB maximum size for an individual file. If that 4gb individual file limit is OK for you then you could try the FAT32 formater that I've used for drives from 64GB to 1TB. http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/

The other point to watch out for is to check that your USB3 SSD is USB2 compatible. If it doesn't state on the drive it self and you haven't got the original package then a quick google should come up with the answer.

Are you sure that film played OK before?
Yes it was the same movie file

Have you tried formatting a SSD using the 1100S ? If it works it will be NTFS.
I have given up on the idea of using an SSD, I have found that I have a 128Gb USB3 stick which is as big as my SSD drives that I have and in that way I don't have to worry about power etc.

My final word, I promise. It seems that Windows will not let you format a USB drive (2 or 3) which is larger than 32Gb in anything other than exFAT or NTFS. However you can do this using other software so I have managed to format a 64Gb USB3 drive in FAT 32 and after some delay it is recognised by the 1100S and it will play a movie file.
We know that, and Luke said so in post 18 (and he is quoted in Things Every... section 12).

We know that, and Luke said so in post 18 (and he is quoted in Things Every... section 12).
Well I'm glad that you know that, if you had pointed it out earlier we could all have saved some time and trouble. I learned it the hard way by doing it myself.

Well I'm glad that you know that, if you had pointed it out earlier we could all have saved some time and trouble. I learned it the hard way by doing it myself.

Windows has not natively supported FAT32 partitions larger than 32GB for a very long time. The reason is the FAT table means that disk space is very inefficiently used, leaving large parts of the disk inaccessible. However you can format any size partition FAT32 using a cmd window (No need for 3rd party software).

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/formatting-external-hard-drive-to-fat-32/

See formatting using DOS. format /FS:FAT32 X: Replace X: with the drive letter of the device you want to format.

However as already said, Freetime units have NTFS read/write capability. I never use anything else but NTFS with my Freetime box. This includes large 128GB USB 3 memory sticks.

Graham, the voice of reason, let me tell you how this has panned out. Using a 128Gb USB3 formatted to NTFS. Plug it in and get the USB Device is Loading notification followed by a menu with Video, Photo, Music and Copy to HDD. Select video and both files (one .TS and one MP4 show up). Click on the MP4 file and it plays OK. Click on the TS File and get Incorrect File Format - or something similar - message and the file does not play. However add in the .hmt and .nts files to the stick for the .ts movie and then it plays fine, remove them and that format of file does not play.

So in summary you are correct that USB3 and NTFS work perfectly OK with the 1100S but that the .ts movies do need those extra sidecar files in order to play.

That's rather spiteful. A solution was posted only a matter of hours after you posted the problem.

That's rather spiteful. A solution was posted only a matter of hours after you posted the problem.
I'm sorry that you see my remark as spiteful, I just happened to see your remark as stating the obvious which added absolutely nothing concrete to the thread. In fact I took your comment as rather rude as if pointing out that I could not read. While Luke was posting his welcome comment I was busy formatting and trying various solutions and as soon as I had one I posted it immediately and just happened to read Luke's solution after I had discovered the same solution myself.

In earlier parts of this discussion I have thanked the forum members for their help and I am very grateful to all who gave up their time to help a new member solve a variety of problems and I repeat that to all who provided constructive solutions.

...but fails to recognise the efforts that others have previously gone to in documenting information and making it available.

Graham, the voice of reason, let me tell you how this has panned out. Using a 128Gb USB3 formatted to NTFS. Plug it in and get the USB Device is Loading notification followed by a menu with Video, Photo, Music and Copy to HDD. Select video and both files (one .TS and one MP4 show up). Click on the MP4 file and it plays OK. Click on the TS File and get Incorrect File Format - or something similar - message and the file does not play. However add in the .hmt and .nts files to the stick for the .ts movie and then it plays fine, remove them and that format of file does not play.

So in summary you are correct that USB3 and NTFS work perfectly OK with the 1100S but that the .ts movies do need those extra sidecar files in order to play.

Try remuxing the errant .ts using TSmuxerGUI. No issue with .ts files on my HDR1000S. Would be interested to see what the .ts container has in it. MediaInfo treeview will tell all. You can export results as a text file and post them.

...but fails to recognise the efforts that others have previously gone to in documenting information and making it available.
I solemnly recognise the efforts of grahamlthompson for his 8 responses to my queries over the course of this discussion, I also recognise the efforts of Trev with his 3 responses and Luke for his reply regarding how to format memory sticks greater than 32Gb in FAT32. Finally I recognise the effort of Black Hole for his initial reply pointing to where I might find a solution and for pointing out to me that Luke had already answered one of my questions. And gentlemen (or ladies) I thank you all. I asked the questions, I got the answers and that is what I needed. This Forum is great, if I ever need help on a different subject regarding my new 1100S then this will certainly be the first place I shall come to.

Try remuxing the errant .ts using TSmuxerGUI. No issue with .ts files on my HDR1000S. Would be interested to see what the .ts container has in it. MediaInfo treeview will tell all. You can export results as a text file and post them.
Sorry Graham but I am not sufficiently technical to understand the first part of your setencing is "Try remuxing......" or what TSmuxerGUI is. Can you explain it to me please.

Sorry Graham but I am not sufficiently technical to understand the first part of your setencing is "Try remuxing......" or what TSmuxerGUI is. Can you explain it to me please.

Small digital video primer.

Digital video is possible because of usually lossy video compression techniques. These are known as codecs. For instance DVD and SD TV use the now dated MPEG2 (Motion Pictures Export Group 2). HD TV uses H264/AVC compression. 4K has a new super efficient H265/HEVC. The audio is also digitally compressed Mpeg1 Layer 2 (MP2) for SD TV, AC3 ( aka Dolby Digital) for satellite HD and AAC (Advanced Audio Codec) for Freeview-HD.

The two streams have to be combined in a process known as multiplexing. Splitting the stream into seperate audio and video is demultiplexing (Demuxing in short). The streams are contained in a container. .ts (Transport Stream) is a container, .mp4 is another. There are dozens of container formats (.MKV is another you may have come across - Matroska Video). Different containers are able to use different Video and Audio compression codecs. In fact the .ts files you get from the Foxsat are in fact .m2ts files (A file format used in AVCHD HD camcorders).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_container_formats

MediaInfo is free file analysis software that will tell you exactly what seperate streams you have in your container.

TSMuxerGUI is a free programme that will open some popular containers and identify the individual streams. You could for instance have a file with aac audio which you may want to replace with ac3 audio. Using audio conversion software you could create a seperate ac3 (.ac3) audio file. You would open the file in TSmuxerGUI - deselect the .aac audio track - add the ac3 one and remultiplex the file using one of the containers that TSmuxerGUI supports. In some cases just opening a container file in TSmuxer and remuxing can fix wierd incompatibilty issues.

http://www.videohelp.com/software/tsMuxeR

Lots of help for TSmuxer on the net,

http://tutorials.downloadroute.com/tsMuxeR-SmartLabs-LLC.html

Thank you Graham, it will take me a little while to digest that but I will certainly try it out and post back the results.

TSmuxerGUI has a shortcoming in that it does not recognise LATM-AAC audio tracks (e.g. audio from a Freeview HD recording) it is OK with ADTS-AAC (e.g. audio from an mp4 file).

TSmuxerGUI has a shortcoming in that it does not recognise LATM-AAC audio tracks (e.g. audio from a Freeview HD recording) it is OK with ADTS-AAC (e.g. audio from an mp4 file).
Again I am not sure what all that means but I do know that all the recordings that I saved from my old box were in SD format. I have no H D recordings. When I get some free time I will try again with different recordings onto my 128Gb USB3 stick formatted to NTFS. I will try .ts file only and then with the other two .hmt and .nts files and report back what happens.

An update on my new findings. Up till now the prime .ts video I have been using is an old Father Brown episode recorded from the BBC. Today I installed three different .ts files without their counter parts onto my 128Gb USB3 stick. Two of those were recorded feature length filma and they ran perfectly fine but the Father Brown video comes up with the "unsupported file format" notification. I then added back the other two files belonging to Father Brown and lo and behold Father Brown plays. I have now tried this same thing with several different Father Brown episodes and they all react the same way. Incidentally another thing happens after the USB drive has been removed, for when I look at the files on the stick they now have another folder alongside them with the extension .hmi.

I haven't got to grips yet with TSmuxerGUI but if I can find out how to work it properly then I will look at these different files and report back.

Thanks to all for helping.

An update on my new findings. Up till now the prime .ts video I have been using is an old Father Brown episode recorded from the BBC. Today I installed three different .ts files without their counter parts onto my 128Gb USB3 stick. Two of those were recorded feature length filma and they ran perfectly fine but the Father Brown video comes up with the "unsupported file format" notification. I then added back the other two files belonging to Father Brown and lo and behold Father Brown plays. I have now tried this same thing with several different Father Brown episodes and they all react the same way. Incidentally another thing happens after the USB drive has been removed, for when I look at the files on the stick they now have another folder alongside them with the extension .hmi.

I haven't got to grips yet with TSmuxerGUI but if I can find out how to work it properly then I will look at these different files and report back.

Thanks to all for helping.

Can you post what MediaInfo says about the files ?

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

It's looking as if the box now creates a .hmi (the equivalent of the .hmt on freetime boxes) on a usb stick possibly an undocumented feature of a recent software update.

I take it the Father Brown episodes were recorded SD ?

TSmuxer couldn't be simpler.

With the default Input tab selected click on add. Locate one of the TS files. You should see the file in the input pane and the video and audio tracks in the tracks pane. Click on TS muxing in output. Browse for a destination and give the output a name. Click on start muxing. Try the remuxed file .ts. does it now play ?

Back