Transfer videos from Hummy 9200T to HDR-Fox T2

Trev

The Dumb One
I have recently bought a T2 manager's special. I have a Humax 9200T on which I have some recordings that I would like to transfer to the T2.
1. Firstly, is this possible. If so how?
2. I have a W7 PC with an IDE bus to which I can connect the 9200 HDD, but suspect that I won't be able to read it in W7 directly? If not, what do I have to do to be able to read it?
3. Which files do I need to copy from the 9200 HDD to the computer (only video, no other stuff, but I haven't studied the file structure etc.)?
4. I also have a SATA to USB caddy for the old 320GiB ext3 disk that came from my FoxsatHDR when I upgraded it to 1TiB. Obviously W7 will not natively read this. What do I need to make it r/w in Windows? Will the T2 read this disc video format? (HWMBO has the TV tied up for hours. Coro, East enders etc.)
5. Assuming that I copy the files to my PC, do I have to do any processing on the files before copying to the USB drive? If so, what?
6. Once the above is done, to where do I need to copy the files to the USB HDD? Or would it be better/more convenient to copy the files directly to the T2 over my network? (T2 Video folder is mapped as a Windows network drive on my computer)
7. Is there a better way than copy to computer, process, copy to USB HDD, copy to T2 HDD? (say process the files form the 9200 HDD directly onto the mapped T2 HDD and cut out the copying to the computer etc? realising that there may be a problem with the various operating systems)
Expert help would be appreciated.
Perhaps humaxrw might help, but I don't have an IDE to USB caddy but I might be able to patch something as I have an IDE to SATA gizmo. (not sure if it works though. I'll try it tomorrow, especially if it will allow me to (indirectly) plug the IDE drive into a USB socket.)

Last edited:
There are plenty of threads about this in the 9200 section and the HDR-FOX section. Basically you need to hook the HDD up to a PC and use the humaxrw utility to read the special format of the disk and pull off the .ts files, then you can put them onto the HDR-FOX or let the 'FOX access them from the PC.

If you had an IDE-USB caddy, the best (quickest) way would be to take the disk out of the 9200, put it in the caddy, attach it directly to the T2 (having installed the customised firmware), run the humaxrw utility on the T2 and copy the .TS files direct to the internal disk. Then you could use the sidecar package to create the .htm and .nts files for full playback functionality.
As you don't seem to have the required hardware, you'll have to use humaxrw on the PC (you'll need to run it from a shell with Admin. access). Once you have the .TS files on the PC, you can get them to the T2 whichever way is most convenient.

Thanks both. I assumed that the easiest way would be to connect the 9200 drive to the T2 and I think that I might be able use my IDE to SATA converter and run that into my SATA to USB caddy. I'll try that first to see if it works.
The problem that I have with humaxrw is that I don't understand the Telnet commands required to copy the .ts to the T2. I do have the CF on the T2 so if I can connect it that way, it would be a good start. I have the various patch cables necessary, but haven't tried it yet.
But perhaps it might be easier to stick the drive into my IDE computer?
Thanks for your inputs guys, I'll have a good stiff reading of the relevant threads in the 9300 section. Didn't think of looking there. Doh.
I'll report back (possibly with some more explicit questions.

No no no. The format of the 9200T HDD is a Humax special, so the only hope you have is to read it on a PC by running the humaxrw utility - like it or not. You will find all the information about this in the 9200 section of the forum. Connecting it to the HDR-FOX will achieve precisely zilch. I only know this because of what I have read on this forum. Why would you look on the 9300 section when you are talking about a 9200?

You do not need Telnet commands to transfer stuff from the PC to the HDR-FOX. You can either use the native FTP server, or the betaftpd package (not both at the same time) to set up an FTP link from a PC FTP client. If you install the samba package, the HDR-FOX will show up in Windows as a network drive and you can copy stuff either way using File Manager.

C'mon Trev, you've been here long enough - you ought to know this stuff already!

No no no. The format of the 9200T HDD is a Humax special, so the only hope you have is to read it on a PC by running the humaxrw utility - like it or not.
I am sorry, but you are just WRONG. Go and research it please. What I said IS correct.

No no no. The format of the 9200T HDD is a Humax special, so the only hope you have is to read it on a PC by running the humaxrw utility - like it or not.
That is not correct. Humaxrw is available as a custom firmware package and so connecting the drive to the HDR will allow the .ts files to be copied to the HDR internal drive. The only advantage of connecting the drive to a PC is that the GUI for humaxrw could be used.
Why would you look on the 9300 section when you are talking about a 9200?
The process is exactly the same on either machine; the only differences are that the 9200 has an IDE interface and the 9300 a SATA interface and there are minor differences in the file system format that humaxrw will detect and cope with without user intervention.

A: I think I missed prpr's response - put that one down to Christmas.

B: humaxrw utility being released for HDR-FOX has totally escaped my recollection. Abject apologies. That said, Trev might be more comfortable running it from his PC and then using File Manager to do the copying.

C: Yes, I know the 9200 and 9300 are similar, but it seemed like a slip of the pen.

Last edited:
Jeez, I didn't intend to start yet another argument, just seeking some simple advice on how to do it.
Yes, I already knew that. See my point 4 in my original post.
You will find all the information about this in the 9200 section of the forum.
Well I have now spent quite a long time looking for some simple instructions on using humaxrw on a W7 machine and have not found any despite following loads of links.
Why would you look on the 9300 section when you are talking about a 9200?
As I was quite specific in my opening post as to the fact that I was trying to copy from a 9200, it should have been obvious in the general context of my posts, without any further comment, that when I typed 9300 actually meant 9200.
If you install the samba package, the HDR-FOX will show up in Windows as a network drive and you can copy stuff either way using File Manager.
Yes, I already know that. I said that I have my T2 mapped as a network drive. Point 6 in my first post. How would I have done that without samba?
C'mon Trev, you've been here long enough - you ought to know this stuff already!
Why should I. I haven't needed to do it before!
That said, Trev might be more comfortable running it from his PC and then using File Manager to do the copying.
Your damn right I would. If I could find a GUI for humaxrw that would make me happier. I'll Google for humaxrw for W7 and its GUI. (thanks Martin)

I have decided that my way forward is to connect the (removed) 9200 drive directly to the IDE bus of my 'second' W7 networked computer. I can do this easily enough.

Once I have the .ts files on my PC, I can easily copy them across my network to the T2, but where do I put them? If I put the .ts files in a folder on the T2, does the 'sidecar' add-on, sort the sidecar files properly, or do I have to copy the .ts files into the root of the video folder?

Last edited:
Put the .ts files anywhere you want. Makes no difference, the sidecars will be created OK regardless, so long as the .ts is in 192 byte packet format. Not sure whether 9200T video format is 192 or 188 bytes. The 'sidecar' utility will tell you if it isn't, in which case you will need to run them through TSMuxerGUI first, (select .m2ts output and rename the resulting .m2ts file to .ts).

Last edited:
Thanks raydon. I'm waiting for my standby computer to do the old 36 updates bit at the moment. Then I'll connect the 9200 drive and take it from there.

From where can I get humaxrw and the GUI for W7 please. All the references I have found point to Wikispaces which returns the Error message 'Subscription expired'?
Right then. Got the 9200 HDD into the computer. It shows OK in Disk management but obviously not in W7:). I did refrain from initialising it:)

Edit. Found humaxrw-1.14-win32.zip .Is this the right one?

Later. OK, I've now copied some files from the 9200 HDD to a local drive on my computer. Is it right that humaxrw does not see mapped network drives? I assume that it is. And no, it's not straightforward unless you have at least a passing knowledge of manipulating the filing system in the DOS window. Not for the novice without detailed instructions.
Now to copy a test one to the T2 and the rest of the stuff but got family in residence so that's scuppered that 'till later.

Sidecar error "Error: Source video packet size is 188 bytes, not 192". TSMuxerGUI here we come!

Last edited:
With just a test .ts file copied from my 'puter to the T2 and apparently being the wrong packet size, the T2 just played it with no problem. Whilst playing, the T2 generated a 1k .hmi file. So what does the 'sidecar' utility do to improve things?
Of course, I didn't have much in the way of program info. In fact, none other than the filename that I had given it.

With just a test .ts file copied from my 'puter to the T2 and apparently being the wrong packet size, the T2 just played it with no problem. Whilst playing, the T2 generated a 1k .hmi file. So what does the 'sidecar' utility do to improve things?
Of course, I didn't have much in the way of program info. In fact, none other than the filename that I had given it.

The sidecar files give you the same navigation capability and programme info as a native recording.

Right then. Having used humaxrw to copy a couple of test files to my 'second' computer (with IDE bus) successfully, I decided to use my IDE to SATA adapter and plug the drive into my 'main' computer's SATA bus.
All seemed to go well and the drive showed up in disk management as drive 2.
I then tried humaxrw :2 -l and it returned the error 'Unknown partition table'. (honest I didn't initialise the disk)
Reconnected it to my 'second' IDE computer and got the same result (it worked OK yesterday).
I read somewhere yesterday whilst on my long missive of Hummy exploration that there is a utility to repair the Humax partition table should you be silly enough to initialise the drive in Windows, but for the life of me, I can't find it again.
Anyone know anything about it, or have I borked the Hummy drive's contents?
I haven't yet tried it back in the Hummy to see if it works there. WHMBO has commandeered the TV for the night:(

Help please

I read somewhere yesterday whilst on my long missive of Hummy exploration that there is a utility to repair the Humax partition table should you be silly enough to initialise the drive in Windows, but for the life of me, I can't find it again.
The -p option of humaxcheck will repair the partition table.

Have tried running humaxcheck 1: -p. This is what I get

G:\humaxfiles>humaxcheck 1: -p
humaxcheck version blah blah blah
Writes to the Humax disk are disabled
Partition found at 00000010
Partition found at 11F99EB0
Partition found at 12019EB0

Then:
G:\humaxfiles>humaxrw 1: -l
Unknown partition table

I suspect that line 2 of the first check is the suspect one.
Any ideas anyone please?

EDIT later: Fixed. Used humaxcheck -p -w. Thanks Martin (found in Myhumax.org)

Last edited:
Back