Transmission download speed

mihaid

I know that you can set no maximum limit for downloads but is there really a limit imposed by the t2 hardware? It seems to be miles under my broadband limit

Download speeds are limited by the weakest link in the chain, in my case that's my sub-3Mbps broadband.

What transfer speed do you get when downloading from your HDR-FOX locally? That will give you an indication of the maximum speed you can expect (if you had unlimited broadband speed).

Obvious, innit? How long does it take to copy how big a file from your HDR-FOX to your PC over your home network - divide the two and you've got your local data rate in MB/s.
well, I have 1000gb network connection to my nas and yet the hummy only goes at a pedestrian pace, fairly slowly. I have a feeling the t2 is the bottleneck

just checked and it did 100 mB in 2 minutes. it's got to be the t2. what are other people's network speeds?

wrong

it goes at about 40Mbs. and that will take me 7.5 hrs. thank God I'm not recording anything tonight.

Last edited:
I tried a couple of experiments and it took 21 minutes to to copy 5.4G to another location on the Humax disk - about 4.5MB/s
it also took almost exactly the same time to copy the same data to a Nas storage device with both NAS and Humax having wired connections to the router.

However these are not strict like for like comparisons since the humax was also recording and playing back during the testing - I should have run the tests when the Humax was idle.

Last edited:
Using Filezilla FTP to download from the Humax to the PC, it shows approx 4.5 mbps - not sure how accurate that is.

It would be nice to be sure what you mean by that - I assume 4.5 MB/s rather than 4.5 Mb/s or 4.5 mb/s (M = mega, m = milli, B = byte, b = bit).

I got transfer rates via Devolo AV500 homeplugs to the router and then WiFi to the PC around 4 MB/s (which is about 40 Mb/s by the time you factor in the protocol overheads). That's got to be close to the limit of what the HDR-FOX is capable of, even with a following wind. If I'm bored later, I might try a direct patch cable from the PC to the HDR.

Last edited:
right, so I have the big files on my NAS, I turned on the media streaming, my tv sees the media streamer, I go to the big file and I get: your device is disconnected. please check the connection status. I ok the message and the files are still visibleUntitled.jpg

I know that you can set no maximum limit for downloads ...
To clarify, is this about the Transmission torrent package? Which obviously might impose its own limitations, probably more stringent than the broadband connection (unless it's BH's).

However these are not strict like for like comparisons since the humax was also recording and playing back during the testing - I should have run the tests when the Humax was idle.
I have rerun my tests with only normal background TSR and webif processing running
Code:
humax /mnt/hd2/My Video #  time cp -f "The Inspector Lynley Mysteries"/* /media/[NAS-Media]
real    17m 44.67s
user    0m 2.53s
sys     4m 50.86s
humax /mnt/hd2/My Video #  time cp -f "The Inspector Lynley Mysteries"/* "The Inspector Lynley Mysteries -2"
real    9m 0.71s
user    0m 1.38s
sys     3m 5.60s
humax /mnt/hd2/My Video # du -m "The Inspector Lynley Mysteries"
5464    The Inspector Lynley Mysteries
That gives me 10.11 MBs for local copying and 5.13 MBs for copy to NAS device

I then thought what would be the speed be like if I disabled the TSR buffering diag tsr/disable and the speed decreased !!! :(
Code:
humax /mnt/hd2/My Video #  time cp -f "The Inspector Lynley Mysteries"/* "The Inspector Lynley Mysteries -2"
real    11m 8.91s
user    0m 1.64s
sys     3m 20.82s
I can't think of a rational explanation for this :confused:

To clarify, is this about the Transmission torrent package? Which obviously might impose its own limitations, probably more stringent than the broadband connection (unless it's BH's).
no, you can set infinite speed

Back