Transmission download speed

no, you can set infinite speed
But obviously the user-specified maximum can't exceed the intrinsic maximum speed at which the software can receive torrent packets, decode them and write any data into the file being pulled.

Separately, if the file is being seeded (upload) via ADSL broadband that will be ~10x slower than the download speed.

But obviously the user-specified maximum can't exceed the intrinsic maximum speed at which the software can receive torrent packets, decode them and write any data into the file being pulled.

Separately, if the file is being seeded (upload) via ADSL broadband that will be ~10x slower than the download speed.
if the software has a limit then why does it not have it as a setting in the speed setting of say 100Mbs MAX

Because the software cannot possibly know what the hardware it is running on is capable of!

(Well, it can if it did some tests, but that's a step to far just to satisfy the few who believe you can get a quart out of a pint pot)

Because the software cannot possibly know what the hardware it is running on is capable of!

(Well, it can if it did some tests, but that's a step to far just to satisfy the few who believe you can get a quart out of a pint pot)
he's not talking about the hardware, he says the software has a limit

No, I meant the performance of Transmission's implementation of the BitTorrent protocol on whichever h/w, in this case HDR-Fox T2, as BH divined. Transmission is supposed to be portable so it might equally be running on a 16-core x 2.5GHz x 128GB system, where it might top out "a bit" faster.

The upstream Transmission version is 2.94 vs the repo 2.84. A new build against the updated OpenSSL libraries could be worthwhile. The package doesn't have a release thread but it looks as though @af123 has the baton.

as BH divined
It weren't that difficult. Even the most basic grasp of how stuff works should have been enough to work that out, and I am ever amazed by some people's unwillingness to engage brain before opening mouth.

It weren't that difficult. Even the most basic grasp of how stuff works should have been enough to work that out, and I am ever amazed by some people's unwillingness to engage brain before opening mouth.
What would be that basic grasp?

If you attach a harddrive to the t2 could you download directly to it, how would you go about it?

If you attach a harddrive to the t2 could you download directly to it, how would you go about it?
Isn't there a download folder setting in the Transmission web client? It's behind the spanner icon in my system.

Obviously that won't download faster (in fact probably slower because the USB2 interface is in the data path), but it should save you copying the download to the attached disk, and also avoid using space on the main disk. The root folder of the attached disk will have been mounted as something like /media/drive1.

Isn't there a download folder setting in the Transmission web client? It's behind the spanner icon in my system.

Obviously that won't download faster (in fact probably slower because the USB2 interface is in the data path), but it should save you copying the download to the attached disk, and also avoid using space on the main disk. The root folder of the attached disk will have been mounted as something like /media/drive1.
Thank you, that's what I was after. What is the speed of usb 2 . Also, how do I know if my disk is mounted exactly like you said above?

What is the speed of usb 2
It doesn't matter what the theoretical speed of a USB2 interface could be, all that matters is how fast the HDR-FOX can transfer. Even then it might be throttled back by contention with other internal processes.

Stage 1.8 - Transfer Speeds

I don't know how long the same copy would have taken to a USB memory stick, but copying 5.86GB to the portable drive took about 34 minutes. It only took 3 minutes to get it into the PC! For comparison, I copied 6 half-hour (+padding) radio recordings to a FAT32 USB stick (which means 18 files - no thumbnail on radio recordings), totalling 1.7GB in 9 minutes. The surprise is that it is roughly 200MB/min either to USB hard drive or to USB Flash drive. However, the USB stick then took 1:40 to copy into the PC.

Out of interest I copied the same set of files (undecrypted) by FTP, and on my 11g (I think) link to the PC (AV200 from the Humax) the transfer took 14 minutes. However, for this method to be viable first you need to decrypt the files in the Humax, and we are in the realms of hacked rather than non-hacked.

right, found out that my drive is called "new volume"
so I presume mine should be /media/new volume.
is that correct?
You may need quotes because of the space - you would on a command line but it depends on how Transmission parses parameters in the options

I think I've sussed it and it does work. the weird thing is I added the torrent with the new location and I could see a file growing on the new volume =NV but i needed to stop copying in progress to the same NV which was maxing the t2 out and would just not open the transmission webpage. at the same time the same/different torrent was downloading to the old location. i paused the one to the old location but the torrent to the NV was not showing up on the webpage. once i paused the old location the file in the NV kept growing. all orange happened before the T webpage would not open anymore.

can't really tell whether it's any faster. downloading to the t2 had 2MB quite often. download to the NV I only saw 1.25 MB. and percentage wise only 10% after almost a day. if it doesn't pick up and get to at least 3/4 by tonight i'll have to revert to a t2 location.

anyone got a usb3 to Lan dongle they don't use anymore?

I think you would need a USB3 hub to gigabit ethernet adapter like this one from Wish :-
2020-03-29_16.32.21.jpg
3 Ports USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Lan RJ45 Network Adapter Hub to 1000Mbps Mac PC Gigabit USB3.0 Ethernet Adapter

Back