[tunefix-update] Automated Freeview channel updates

Freeview Retune day - what a complete nightmare!
I think I've got across everything that's changed and tested it, both on boxes which have been retuned already and those which haven't.
Folks in the G-MAN area will have to do a manual retune for that mux. if so desired!

I would suggest everybody who uses it upgrades (if not using auto-update).

All those changes and they didn't put a DSO retune event in the schedule! What is the point of DSO retunes if they don't put one in for a change as major as this one? Pah!

tunefix is not the same as tunefix-update!
The latter depends on the former, but tunefix by itself isn't going to fix the mess made on 2nd Aug.

Just got back from holiday expecting to need a retune, but BBC News and Sky News are still on 130 and 132. Did the channel changes on the 2nd happen?

Have you rebooted since installing tunefix-update?
If not, then reboot!
If you have exactly once, then the file /tmp/xinit.log should show what database changes have or haven't been applied.
If you have more than once, then you need to uninstall tunefix-update, reinstall it and reboot and then look at the aforementioned file.

Of course, you could just retune and let tunefix do its stuff, assuming you have it configured correctly.

Just got back from holiday expecting to need a retune, but BBC News and Sky News are still on 130 and 132. Did the channel changes on the 2nd happen?
Yes, only the LCNs changed. Services will still work on the old numbers until you retune - in any case, you can put them where you like with tunefix.

I think I'm beginning to understand how it works. The fact that I can still see bbc news on 132 is proof that t update has worked. I also have a rule on tunefix removing channels 211 to 299. But I still get red button which I gather is on 250.

The fact that I can still see bbc news on 132 is proof that t update has worked.
What? BBC News was 130, is now 231. Sky News was 132, is now 233. The only way BBC News should be on 132 is if you have a rule to make it so. Without such a rule, BBC News would be on 231 after a retuning (or after tunefix-update is applied - which achieves the same as a retune by manipulating the database directly, but without the inconvenience of actually performing a retune).

PS: apologies if your post was a simple typo of "132" instead of "231".

Last edited:
I also have a rule on tunefix removing channels 211 to 299.
You'll find that rule got changed with the changes to tunefix needed for 2nd Aug., for fairly obvious reasons.
If things are still awry, I'd suggest you do an auto-tune, having checked tunefix is configured how you want it.

What? BBC News was 130, is now 231. Sky News was 132, is now 233. The only way BBC News should be on 132 is if you have a rule to make it so. Without such a rule, BBC News would be on 231 after a retuning (or after tunefix-update is applied - which achieves the same as a retune by manipulating the database directly, but without the inconvenience of actually performing a retune).
PS: apologies if your post was a simple typo of "132" instead of "231".

There was a typo. 130

You'll find that rule got changed with the changes to tunefix needed for 2nd Aug., for fairly obvious reasons.
If things are still awry, I'd suggest you do an auto-tune, having checked tunefix is configured how you want it.
Does this mean my t update is incomplete?

Thank you for the advice

I just got very confused when I found one of my HDRs not responding to LCN 200 (which I use to park it when I stop viewing), and I discovered Red Button on 250... and BBC News on 231 - but then found I had installed tunefix-update on that one to try the package out. Not only that, but the schedule (including a daily EPG refresh reminder on Red Button) had also been updated with the new configuration. Excellent.

I just got very confused when I found one of my HDRs not responding to LCN 200 (which I use to park it when I stop viewing), and I discovered Red Button on 250... and BBC News on 231 - but then found I had installed tunefix-update on that one to try the package out. Not only that, but the schedule (including a daily EPG refresh reminder on Red Button) had also been updated with the new configuration. Excellent.
...but I have now worked out why my sweeper rules had stopped working: those keyed to LCN needed updating.

Back