[tunefix-update] Automated Freeview channel updates

Presumably, tunefix update keeps everything hunkey dory?
It didn't update the sweeper rules to accommodate the change of LCN. I don't know whether it could or should, I am simply noting that it didn't (and as a consequence the relevant sweeper rules stopped working).

Last edited:
Ta. Don't see why it should, but that sounds like a good plan. Possibly a bit complex to execute though.:frantic:

Ta. Don't see why it should, but that sounds like a good plan. Possibly a bit complex to execute though.:frantic:
I think af123 has code that will make global changes to all the sweeper config files that could probably be reused but this may be getting too far from the original scope and intent of Tunefix

I don't know whether it could or should, I am simply noting that it didn't.
It could, but it shouldn't (and it isn't going to).
If you did an auto-tune from the Humax UI, would anything like this get updated? No. There lies your answer.

I accept that, but the problem is this: we now have the means to automatically patch the tuning unattended, without invoking the hassle of an actual retune, but the result can be that some things break (possibly unnoticed for a period of time). I imagine it was not your intention that tunefix-update should break things; a normal auto-retune is known to break things!

I wonder if sweeper could be made to notice that a tuning change has taken place, and either determine whether it affects the rules or (as a minimum) flags up a warning.

we now have the means to automatically patch the tuning unattended, without invoking the hassle of an actual retune, but the result can be that some things break (possibly unnoticed for a period of time). I imagine it was not your intention that tunefix-update should break things; a normal auto-retune is known to break things!
Agreed. It isn't perfect, but the tunefix-update way is better than the non-tunefix-update way.
I wonder if sweeper could be made to notice that a tuning change has taken place, and either determine whether it affects the rules or (as a minimum) flags up a warning.
Sweeper has no knowledge of tunefix-update and vice-versa, so it would be equally as wrong to make either aware of each other. I think the only 'clean' way would be to have a third package, with knowledge (and dependencies) of both, to do the work.
Then what about any other packages which mess about with LCNs? You'd need to do the same for those. It all potentially snowballs very quickly indeed. Sometimes you just have to do things manually.

The problem is remembering that it is necessary! Then you have to trawl through all the rule sets...

tunefix-update could post a red alert on the webif to warn users when it has made a change to the tuning.

A global change package for Sweeper configuration files could be developed as a standalone package or part of sweeper.

It would still require some manual intervention but would solve the problem of knowing when a change had occurred and ease making the relevant changes.

Can you not do a search and replace? (I have not even looked at it)
The sweeper rules are in files distributed across the file system - a rule set that applies to a particular folder is stored in that folder.

I believe Talking Pictures moved mux this week. I was hoping tunefix-update would add this channel automatically (I couldn't get the previous mux), but this didn't happen.
I tried re-installing tunefix-update and rebooting but still nothing happened.

Have I missed something? Should tunefix-update do something in this scenario?
I guess a manual tune of the new mux should add the channel.

I believe Talking Pictures moved mux this week.
Yes, COM7 to COM6.
I was hoping tunefix-update would add this channel automatically (I couldn't get the previous mux), but this didn't happen.
I tried re-installing tunefix-update and rebooting but still nothing happened.
Curious. It worked for me. Can you uninstall it, reinstall it, reboot, then capture and post the contents of /tmp/xinit.log
Have I missed something?
Difficult to know.
Should tunefix-update do something in this scenario?
Yes.

Anyone else had failure (or success)?

I don't think I have seen a recent update of tunefix-update.
I don't have auto-update on and it didn't show any packages needing updating.

I uninstalled, re-installed and rebooted and the following appeared in xinit.log

Reminder already set.
Found 1 existing OTA reminders.
XOTA: Removed 0
XOTA: Removing any auto-update scheduled events.
Opening /var/lib/humaxtv/rsv.db
SQLite3: 3.7.5
[/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/xota]
XDSO: Removed DSO scheduled events.
[/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/xdso]
Tunefix V1.6.5 (c) 2015-2017 prpr
[/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/tunefix]
[/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/rsvsync]
[/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/install_nugget]
[/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/install_ir3]
[/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/install_fan]
[/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/install_dustbin]
[/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/dbupdate]
AHW: Already done.
[/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/ahw]

I think above is log/xinit, the below is tmp/xinit

[/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/ahw]
AHW: Already done.
[/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/dbupdate]
[/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/install_dustbin]
[/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/install_fan]
[/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/install_ir3]
[/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/install_nugget]
[/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/rsvsync]
[/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/tunefix]
Tunefix V1.6.5 (c) 2015-2017 prpr
[/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/xdso]
XDSO: Removed DSO scheduled events.
[/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/xota]
XOTA: Removing any auto-update scheduled events.
XOTA: Removed 0
Found 1 existing OTA reminders.
Reminder already set.

I didn't notice a tunefix update this week but my Talking Pictures is on 81 and tunefix is on 1.6.5 (can't find a date in the info). Is that the latest?

Edit. My WebIf has now flashed a message that tunefix-update has gone from 1.0.29 to 1.0.30. If that is the change to move TP to 81 I'm seriously confused.
(OK, even more seriously confused :) )

Last edited:
Back