[tunefix-update] Automated Freeview channel updates

Are you suggesting that the BBC should not offer parents the absolute best for their precious little darlings? You'll be in all sorts of doo-doo for that (even if you are absolutely correct). :)

Thinking about it, it's not for the kids anyway; it's for the adults who have to keep them company :eek:
Having watched countless episodes of Bing today I doubt that recording in HD would have improved the experience, though it is preferable to Tree Fu Tom or anything featuring Justin Fletcher!

On the 27th February when for Mendip multiplexes ARQ A (56 to 33) and COM7 (33 to 36) move I was presuming that, and similar, would involve a normal retune.
Why would you presume that?

Anyway, what I meant was that if say you had a line in tunefix.conf which said "MUX|56" to remove mux. 56 and then tunefix-update moved something on to that mux., it would be removed again straight away. (It was not the move itself that had just struck me. I've been planning that since Selkirk last March.)
I need to add code to stop it doing that, in the same way I had to remove (or add) certain LCNs in the config. file for Freeview Retune day.
This is now going to necessitate quite a bit of a rewrite of the file handling/parsing/processing code, as I took the easy option last time round.

What I consider to be an utter waste of bandwidth is CBBC HD and CBeebies HD. Are the target audience (pre-school to 12) that critical of resolution?
They've got better eyes than you have. Anyway, perhaps folk could continue that discussion in the Freeview part of the forum.

Why would you presume that?
I've been planning that since Selkirk last March.
Part of what lay behind my assumption was that while move of a channel from one mux to another can utilise some details from other channels which are known to be on the mux being used for the new location, a whole mux move could be different and you may not have known, with certain, if some values are going to be reused by the new mux;
but I'd forgotten about Selkirk, which obviously would have helped confirm what is being retained and what could just be copied over to the new mux entries with a good degree of certainty

My second underlying thinking was that unlike national moves the mux moves are not national but are staggered, which would require more work to prepare for and setup.

Part of what lay behind my assumption was that while move of a channel from one mux to another can utilise some details from other channels which are known to be on the mux being used for the new location, a whole mux move could be different and you may not have known, with certain, if some values are going to be reused by the new mux;
It's the same mux., just broadcast on a different RF channel.
I'd forgotten about Selkirk, which obviously would have helped confirm what is being retained and what could just be copied over to the new mux entries with a good degree of certainty
Well it might have done had we had any feedback about it, which we didn't.
unlike national moves the mux moves are not national but are staggered, which would require more work to prepare for and setup.
Yes, you're not wrong there.

1.0.34:
Rename VIVA to 5Spike+1
Remove True Crime
Remove truTV from COM5
Remove truTV+1
Remove The Vault
Add Sony Crime Channel
Mux. moves for 700 MHz clearance at:
Sudbury (COM6)
Tacolneston (COM8)
Waltham (COM5 and COM8)​

If anybody has any feedback from those regions about the 700 MHz clearance I would be pleased to hear it.

There is currently no link between the removal of the old service and the addition of the new one. I could make it so that there is a conditional link between the two, but the SQL query is complicated enough as it is and it hurts my head every time I think about it. I'll think a bit more about whether it's worth implementing.
This was fixed in tunefix 1.7.0 - it was actually less complicated than I thought.

The retune today for Waltham left my box without BBC4HD and SKY News and perhaps others but thats all I noticed before I did a manual retune.

The retune today for Waltham left my box without BBC4HD and SKY News and perhaps others but thats all I noticed before I did a manual retune.
It worked perfectly on mine - the first time I've been able to check and confirm anywhere. All channels present and correct with no manual intervention, so I guess you got the procedure wrong somehow.

1.0.35:
Automatic update mechanism implemented
Rename My5 to 5SELECT
Mendip (COM5 and COM7)
Oxford (COM6 and COM7)​

Me too.

27/02/2018 04:22:32 - Automatically upgraded package tunefix-update from 1.0.34 to 1.0.35
28/02/2018 04:21:09 - Automatically upgraded package tunefix-update from 1.0.35 to 1.0.35 (2 instances)

For info: since the automatic update mechanism was introduced I have received the following notifications:
I wondered how long it would be before somebody noticed and commented. Bit of a gremlin crept in and I didn't notice until yesterday. It's already fixed and will go out in the update for mux. moves at Ridge Hill tonight.

1.0.36:
Remove useless log message when auto-update not performed
Ridge Hill (COM7 and COM8)

Last edited:
May confuse scheduling though, so may need more than simply being available.
The initial samples I'd examined used different series CRIDs.
But having a fresh look, the very first one I looked at is a duplicate.

Last edited:
Back