[tunefix-update] Automated Freeview channel updates

The fact that SC is LCN 99 appears to be related: is 99 being used as a scratch LCN in the above? Would 999 work instead?
It was supposed to be 9999. I've obviously confused myself with LCN changes and Mux. moves (where I do use 99). Two lots of bl@@dy pointless circular shifts don't help.
Sony Crime Channel started on 60, then got moved to 40, now they've moved it back to 60. FFS, what's the matter with them? It's only a number. It makes no difference what it is. I supppose the morons who run these TV companies have to justify their existence with stuff like this.
I think @prpr may be in an area where LCN 99 isn't in the broadcast roster.
No, it is. I just screwed up. I think that's the first time though.
1.0.71 pushed out to restore it now. Sorry for the minor inconvenience.

It's only a number.
Quite. LCN moves baffle me (and I certainly don't bother retuning for them).

I assume a significant proportion of the TV viewing population do what my supported user does, mainly using the P+ and P- buttons to change channel and therefore providing a premium for services able to occupy LCNs adjacent to popular channels. Or on the same EPG page.

Sony Crime Channel started on 60, then got moved to 40, now they've moved it back to 60. FFS, what's the matter with them? It's only a number. It makes no difference what it is. I supppose the morons who run these TV companies have to justify their existence with stuff like this.
It's not just a number for YouView, which is one reason that's unusable. Flexible channel and favourites management is one of the several great pluses of the HD/HDR software, obvs even better with CF.

No doubt platforms like YouView as well as +/- channel changing viewers are the target of otherwise apparently pointless LCN changes, though DigitalUK's extended Buggins' turn allocation policy also encourages LCN squatting.

Quite. LCN moves baffle me (and I certainly don't bother retuning for them).
I assume a significant proportion of the TV viewing population ...[use] the P+ and P- buttons to change channel
Agreed. And yes.
Is this just a UK problem? Do other countries muck up their LCNs and swap services from one multiplex to another? As usual, it seems we can't organise one in a brewery. Barely a month (or is it a week) goes by without the need to retune for some reason or another. :mad: And, obviously, tunefix doesn't apply to the HDR-2000T.

How about a SWAP command? That would eliminate the need for a scratchpad.
It doesn't really help. How do you handle an N way rotate, where N > 2 ?
And you would just be moving the problem from the config. to the tunefix code in the case where N=2, as you still need a scratchpad number somewhere.

Well, assuming a swap operation can be implemented, any rotation can be derived from it:

eg ROT(1,2,3) →︎ (2,3,1) : SWAP(1,2), SWAP(1,3)

(easy!)

As to the how (without dedicating a specific "storage location" as a scratchpad when SWAP isn't explicitly supported), is it not possible to read a database line out to program variables and write them back again? Are you relying on database internal manipulations only?

1.0.72:
Mux. moves for 700 MHz clearance at:​
Mendip (Old PSB1, PSB2, PSB3 and COM8)​
Bristol Ilchester Crescent (Local)​
Bristol Kings Weston Hill (COM4 and COM6)​

1.0.73:
LCN change from 12 to 19 for Dave​
LCN change from 19 to 25 for Yesterday​
LCN change from 25 to 12 for Home​

Sounds like a completely unnecessary shuffle to me. Just causing the user an unwelcome retune for what?

Sounds like a completely unnecessary shuffle to me. Just causing the user an unwelcome retune for what?

From RXTVlog:

"Home moves to channel 12 in preparation for the split of UKTV. The channels will be split between BBC Studios and Discovery. Home is to be taken over by Discovery. Once under Discovery's ownership, Discovery will have control over what goes on channel 12 - expected to be Quest."

Looks like they've been jerjiggling channels again

Quest in now on 12, DMax is on 37 and Home has moved to 42.

Haven't spotted any other changes. Yet!

Back