[tunefix-update] Automated Freeview channel updates

I was considering this package for my aunt, what with all the retunes going on. But she doesn't have an internet connection, I use my iPad creating a wifi network to update her HDR Fox T2. So the fact this relies on auto package updates makes it a non starter. Is there anything similar that doesn't need a network connection? She hates it when channels she likes suddenly disappear.

Is there anything similar that doesn't need a network connection?
No. You have to get the information on to the box somehow. I guess you could preload a config. file onto a USB stick and post it to her, but that's about it.

Well, deleting disable-dso and and installing auto-schedule-restore (which I've just done on one of my two boxes) should do the job, but with two rather large provisos:

i) the channel change is pushed out as a DSO. Some are, some aren't.

ii) the box is not in a transmitter overlap area. I'm not, my Aunt is she can get both Emley Moor and the Holmfirth repeater of it so even selecting by region doesn't work as they're both the same region. tunefix ought to sort out her region overlap issues, but first I'll see how auto-schedule-restore works.

So how often are there updates that you push out with tunefix-update, when the autorities decided NOT to push out a DSO for the same set of changes?

For example I'd hope that the recent Olympics changes had a DSO to go with them, give how extensive they were. I can't tell, I have (or had) disable-dso installed.

So how often are there updates that you push out with tunefix-update, when the autorities decided NOT to push out a DSO for the same set of changes?
As required. There is no fixed schedule.
I'd hope that the recent Olympics changes had a DSO to go with them, give how extensive they were.
They did. I suspect there will be another one on Wed. 24th Aug. to restore things.

tunefix-update has been updated to cope with the latest changes:
Restore BBC FOUR HD and CBeebies HD after the Olympics
Remove BBC Olympics HD and temp. CBBC HD
Mux. move for 7 radio stations
LCN change for 4 TV channels
Add 6 new (crap?) TV channels​

The extra Red Button channels have not yet disappeared, although only RB1 24/7 has anything on it, so there will be another update in due course to clean those up.

Last edited:
And alas there's no DSO event to go with this change, so my plan to use auto schedule restore seems pointless. Which is a shame as my aunt has no internet access. I suppose there will be a DSO event sooner or later for something.

The extra red button channels have now gone, I've just done a retune myself. However there are still MHEG placeholder channels for the temporary locations of BBC4 HD and others, so there will still be yet more retuning at some point. Still no DSO event that I've seen.

I suspect there won't be one any time soon if there hasn't been one today. BICBW.

If you're right and there is no DSO for the post Olympics changes then that is mad. Whoever decides when to push a DSO event out needs their head examining. Of course the problem could be that no-one is actually in charge and it's all a bit random, sigh.

Last edited:
If you're right and there is no DSO for the post Olympics changes then that is mad. Whoever decides when to push a DSO event out needs their head examining. Of course the problem could be that no-one is actually im charge and it's all a bit random, sigh.
Is it Freeview? Is it Digital UK? Is it the DTG? I don't know who has the final say, or even any say. One thing you can rely on however is that, whoever it is, they're not interested in engaging with the public.

Me again. Tunefix-update ran yesterday and I saw the new channels (only 4 that I could see, but maybe the others had already been removed by my tunefix config). However, BBC FOUR HD is still showing (remember my local transmitter does not broadcast COM7 or COM8). Is this as expected? I note that the EPG is showing programme data until midnight next Tuesday, when it is replaced by the mesage:
"BBC Four Has Moved
Please retune your Freeview TV or box if this message is at channel 106. However, if you are unable to receive us after retuning, please watch BBC Four on channel 9."

I have two BBC4 HD, they've put a placeholder on the PSB3 mux to tell people to retune back. Hence you get that but not the real one on COM7.

However, BBC FOUR HD is still showing (remember my local transmitter does not broadcast COM7 or COM8). Is this as expected?
Yes, it is. I can't delete (for all) and re-add (for those who have COM7) without upsetting those who have it marked as a favourite.
You will just have to delete it manually. It's easy enough to do using the remote control and the on-screen menus.

Another update released to cope with the seemingly incessant fiddling about with LCNs now, this time involving VIVA, VIVA+1, 5USA+1, My5 and to add yet another (crap?) channel 5STAR+1.

Back