Tunefix

boris

Tunefix

I'm after the simplest tunefix: to replace all lowdef version of the channel by the HD version taking the lowest LowDef channel number as the final destination of the HD channel and removing the LowDef channel.
So, for example: "BBC 4" (LowDef) appears at channel 6 (Oxfordshire/Bucks Region) whilst "BBC 4 HD" appears at 109 and, if it catches the Bedforshire transmitter, there's another that appears at 800+.
The existing logic correctly takes the 109 BBC 4 HD as the appropriate HD channel to use.
I'd like one BBC 4 HD at the old LowDef channel location - 106.
Unlike 101-5, 13, 47 just taking 100 off the channel number doesn't work with all channels.

The existing logic moves the 109 BBC 4 HD to wherever I want, but I sometimes find that I have duplicate or sometimes triplicate BBC 4/HD at 6 and 9.
As the channels move about so much it's not helpful to have rules based on channel number any more. The old channel moved was better in this regard because it moved based on channel descriptions.
I'm happy to do the back-end work on the code if someone can add a checkbox in to turn it off and on.
Any volunteers to help me out with the GUI please?

I'm finding that if I put anything at all in the Region section of the Tunefix - even "leave blank", or the correct string, then a large proportion of the channels get removed (because they certainly appear in the listing of the channels when the box is scanning).

For one thing, the "correct string" for BBC 4 (sic) is actually "BBC FOUR", and for a second thing the "home" LCN for BBC FOUR is 9 not 6 (6 is ITV2). These might be the reasons for your woes, along with the new BBC FOUR HD mux being at low power and therefore a distinct possibility you can't receive it any more.

Surely all you need to do is specify BBC FOUR HD at LCN 9 and BBC FOUR at LCN 109 (or whatever it is you said you want - by brain hurts trying to work it out).

I'm finding that if I put anything at all in the Region section of the Tunefix - even "leave blank", or the correct string, then a large proportion of the channels get removed (because they certainly appear in the listing of the channels when the box is scanning).
Then I don't think you can be doing it right. What do you think is the correct string?

Dear Black Hole,
Have you tried: /r/iamverysmart ? You seem ideally suited.
I'm sorry your brain hurts, perhaps if you spent less time needlessly taking the piss and actually tried to help that would alleviate your suffering.
Black holes are, after all, 'things' where nothing useful ever comes out.
(sic) means that there's a mistake, so it's tautologous to iterate. You're really more concerned with FOUR vs 4 and that's the main item in your post? I also note that I'm not the only one to make that mistake.

No, as I explained: I often have three listing for BBC FOUR, two low definition (one saying it has moved, the other broadcasting) and a a third HD which is broadcasting.
The Region field used to work fine, but has exhibited this strange behaviour for a while now.

I'm willing to code my change but don't know enough to get the GUI right without risking messing the rest up. I note that you haven't offered to help.

That's just silly. My use of "BBC 4" was simply quoting you, and that's what sic is normally used to denote - a quoted error.

The point I was making is that computers only do what they are told. How was I supposed to know you were correctly using the string "BBC FOUR" when you put "BBC 4" everywhere in your post? Nowhere did you use the correct string, so that gave no confidence you know what you are talking about. I'm sorry if pedantry annoys you, but pedantry is absolutely vital in computer programming (and discussions about computer programming, such as this).

How do you explain that you stated "BBC 4" (sic) is on LCN 6? I suggest you look here: http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/channels/channel_listings

I use tunefix happily enough, although there are some problems with the WebIF's GUI editor not offering every option I need for multi-region operation so it is necessary to edit the config file manually. With that degree of experience, I don't think there's anything wrong with tunefix itself, and the GUI is just a convenience added to the WebIF to make editing the config file reasonably accessible for non-programmers. If you want to know under what circumstances the GUI needs to be bypassed see this post: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/tune...tion-and-maintenance.6639/page-10#post-103846, but it boils down to ensuring the commands are parsed in the necessary order to achieve the desired result.

Tunefix

I'm after the simplest tunefix: to replace all lowdef version of the channel by the HD version taking the lowest LowDef channel number as the final destination of the HD channel and removing the LowDef channel.
So, for example: "BBC 4" (LowDef) appears at channel 6 (Oxfordshire/Bucks Region) whilst "BBC 4 HD" appears at 109 and, if it catches the Bedforshire transmitter, there's another that appears at 800+.
The existing logic correctly takes the 109 BBC 4 HD as the appropriate HD channel to use.
I'd like one BBC 4 HD at the old LowDef channel location - 106.
Unlike 101-5, 13, 47 just taking 100 off the channel number doesn't work with all channels.

The existing logic moves the 109 BBC 4 HD to wherever I want, but I sometimes find that I have duplicate or sometimes triplicate BBC 4/HD at 6 and 9.
As the channels move about so much it's not helpful to have rules based on channel number any more. The old channel moved was better in this regard because it moved based on channel descriptions.
I'm happy to do the back-end work on the code if someone can add a checkbox in to turn it off and on.
Any volunteers to help me out with the GUI please?

Last edited:
I see it was pointless.
Really appreciate the lecture on programming though. Honest. /s

In case Boris is still listening, he needs to check he doesn't still have the renumber package running (in conflict with tunefix).

Why did you post this in the tunefix-update thread when it has no relevance in here whatsoever? In fact, why didn't you start your own thread?
Please could the mods. split out these irrelevant messages - #148 to #157 and #159.

And for what it's worth, BBC FOUR is on LCN 9 not 6 and BBC FOUR HD is on 106 not 109. I didn't much understand any of the rest of what you wrote.

Last edited:
For completeness BH, Boris (sic) is actually boris.
That's a bit of a problem in itself, and something I often find bothersome - how to denote a proper noun in a sentence if the "correct" representation of the proper noun does not start with a capital letter? It's not very kind of people to use that non-conformist form!

sometimes find that I have duplicate or sometimes triplicate BBC 4/HD at 6 and 9.
Which version of the official software are you on? It does not appear that you are on 1.03.12 which would have sorted out your BBC FOUR and BBC FOUR HD multiples when you last retuned.

Is there a reason that you want to receive from multiple transmitters?

That's a bit of a problem in itself, and something I often find bothersome - how to denote a proper noun in a sentence if the "correct" representation of the proper noun does not start with a capital letter?
You could always try something like this if it is bothersome: "...boris (sic)..."
It's not very kind of people to use that non-conformist form!
But isn't that true in general about the use of English conventions spelling and grammar in forum posts? More so on the CHAV forums.
And why bring religion into the conversation:roflmao:

I was helping - trying to get the OP to refine his presentation of the problem! From all the errors, it's not clear where the problem is or even if there is a problem at all.

I was helping - trying to get the OP to refine his presentation of the problem! From all the errors, it's not clear where the problem is or even if there is a problem at all.
Its not clear but the symptoms are what my 1.02.20 tuned to multiple transmitters could be if I wasn't doing that deliberately. Thus my questions in post #14.

Seems like boris has gone. Perhaps he doesn't like lectures on pedantry, although it is absolutely essential when trying to explain fault conditions etc.
My Tunefix wouldn't work when I suggested it moved BBC1 HD from LCN 101 to LCN1. But the error of my ways was pointed out to me when I posted about it. But at least I did post exactly what I was trying to do. (as above).

Back