TVI FAULT

davidm7cay

Hi, not sure if anyone can help me, I use 2m/70cm armature bands on a CRT Micron Radio, but the last few weeks I have been causing TVI to a single tv in the house that is connected to a Humax DVR Recorder. We have 2 tv's off a single roof antenna. I have tried a high pass filter and that did nothing so was wondering if there wan any other. filters specific to 2m/70cm bands, one other thing I have tried are Ferrite Rings on the coax at back of tv and the mains supply's and that did not work, We have also not long had a 4g and 5g filter fitted outside to our roof tv antenna as was told where we live is prone to 4g and 5g interference so not sure if that may be the problem. the armature antenna I use is a Dimond X510N Thank you

armature or amateur??

Regardless, I think you should be asking on an amateur radio forum and not here.

A Radio Ham (fully Licensed one hopes) that thinks a passive 4G/5G low-pass filter inserted in a UHF TV antenna system might be the issue (unless poorly installed) and has no idea on how to check that (e.g. by removal, temporarily).

My mind boggles.

Is use of such a large gain collinear antenna legal with that transceiver?

RSGB https://rsgb.org/main/technical/emc/ and similar amateur radio places may be a source of advice?

And "We have 2 tv's off a single roof antenna. I have tried a high pass filter..." without any qualifying details of it or the rest of the system.

The OP hasn't even been seen since 45 minutes after posting the above, well before any replies. What does that tell...

Trying to dump their dirty washing on us!
I find that a very odd attitude. The purpose of the forums is to try and help people. I thought there were some people here (such as Rodders53) who knew a lot more about radio and TV transmission and pointing somebody to a different forum is something I do quite a lot. Why do you consider it "dumping dirty washing"?

I find that a very odd attitude. The purpose of the forums is to try and help people. I thought there were some people here (such as Rodders53) who knew a lot more about radio and TV transmission and pointing somebody to a different forum is something I do quite a lot. Why do you consider it "dumping dirty washing"?
I'm sure - or am at least hoping - it was just a tongue in cheek joke.

(Judging by the emoticon)

Well, partly. I am also critical that somebody using amateur radio bands can't spell "amateur", and very critical that they think there is a problem anyone can solve with their Humax STB when there is a ham transmitter involved!

I agree forums should be helpful, but I don't believe in sugaring the pill when plain speaking is the best policy.

Reading the 'other thread' the OP has very basic if not poor technical knowledge.

The interference claims to be coincidental with an addition (by whom and why?) of mobile phone filtering to the antenna.

Restore TV (formerly AT800) generally will only fit those outside when external amplification already exists, new mobile poles/towers/masts have come online and there is a complaint of interference on TV... They otherwise supply 'self install' plug in set back style filters when they believe it to be mobile base station interference, as I understand it.

I guess he could report himself to the RIS (but I'd probably not want my ex colleagues to have to deal with him, since BBC took on that public facing part from Ofcom).

Q. Do I respond on that other thread or not?

I wouldn't bother. The guy seems unworthy of his licence (I presume he actually has one). If it's only himself he's bothering, then who cares?

The OP hasn't even been seen since 45 minutes after posting the above, well before any replies. What does that tell...
Well, just hazarding a guess based on what tends to happen on other forums: new member signs up to ask question, gets alerted to a reply via email on another device (e.g. phone) on which they are not yet logged into the forum; they read some replies without logging in, and they then make a judgement call about whether there's anything worth replying to...
;)
[edit: for the avoidance of doubt I should probably add that the concerns above are justifiable!]

Reading the 'other thread' the OP has very basic if not poor technical knowledge.
Also from another site which is an earlier post of the same request for assistance that I can find.

I wouldn't bother. The guy seems unworthy of his licence (I presume he actually has one). If it's only himself he's bothering, then who cares?
From his description, on another site, the interference of his own equipment is far reaching within at least his own home.

That he hasn't shared all the detail that he has posted on other sites may indicate some sort of empathy deficit disorder if he really wants to gain assistance.

Last edited:
they then make a judgement call about whether there's anything worth replying to...
I'm old fashioned, so I think it's just plain bad manners not to return and at least acknowledge that people have spent (or wasted) their time trying to help.
I'm getting less and less inclined to offer advice these days. Many of these types expect a facetwit (sorry, faceX) speed of response and get bored after a few seconds.

That he hasn't shared all the detail that he has posted on other sites may indicate some sort of empathy deficit disorder if he really wants to gain assistance.
Or maybe he's just a disorganised, conniving twit.

I could go on, but I'm kicking the soapbox into the corner now :p

I thought it was an interesting problem because it appears that the Humax loses all signal when his transmitter is in use but another TV at the property continues to behave as normal. What is it about the Humax that it makes it more susceptible to the radio transmission?

Who cares? We have little to no information to go on, and if a radio ham can't sort his own problems out he's not much of a ham. I worry more about the neighbours.

Back