Two HDR-Fox T2 on same wireless network

jsrobo

I now have a second Humax on my wireless network (one upstairs & now one downstairs).

I've been unable to find any tips/info on the Forum. I'm sure there will be, but where?

If not some pointers would be appreciated. Both Humax's see each other and my pc sees both Humax's. So I can ftp/file transfer alright.

First impressions is good, but was disappointed that playing a .ts stream from Humax 1 by H2 the video controls had no fast forward, presumably because of wireless connection. Could fast forward be obtained anyway other than by joining with an ethernet cable? (very difficult for me, hence the wireless method). Also whilst H1 is playing an H2 video. H2 will play an H1 video simultaneously, that's neat isn't it.

Once the second Humax (1.02.27) is modified (waiting for af123 new mods), how do I get it recognised on the reschedule interface?

I see no reason having them both on WiFi should make any difference, operating two HDR-FOXes should be very similar to operating an HDR-FOX in combination with an HD-FOX. WiFi bandwidth is plenty.

If you are using the native DLNA service for access (Media >> Blue >> Network) you will find transport controls limited, however the timeline controls should work - left/right on the cursor pad will whizz the play point through the file with a graphic depiction on-screen, and the skip buttons should work.

By mounting as network shares (Samba/CIFS) you get full controls as if the file is on a local USB drive, but the files will not be accessible until they have been decrypted.

I presume you mean the Remote Scheduler? Each Humax will be recognised by its unique MAC address so there should be no problem with that.

I see no reason having them both on WiFi should make any difference, operating two HDR-FOXes should be very similar to operating an HDR-FOX in combination with an HD-FOX. WiFi bandwidth is plenty.

If you are using the native DLNA service for access (Media >> Blue >> Network) you will find transport controls limited, however the timeline controls should work - left/right on the cursor pad will whizz the play point through the file with a graphic depiction on-screen, and the skip buttons should work.

By mounting as network shares (Samba/CIFS) you get full controls as if the file is on a local USB drive, but the files will not be accessible until they have been decrypted.

I presume you mean the Remote Scheduler? Each Humax will be recognised by its unique MAC address so there should be no problem with that.

The main cursor pad left/right works fine, haven't used that method before, simple but effective thanx.

When H2 is modified and I've logged onto remote scheduler (rs) with my current logon I will presumably be able to find the 2 different Humax's then??

What advantages would there be by mounting as network shares (Samba/CIFS) over the current method?

When H2 is modified and I've logged onto remote scheduler (rs) with my current logon I will presumably be able to find the 2 different Humax's then??
You will have to register your email address via the RS settings on H2, then when you are logged onto the RS website you will have a drop down menu to select which box you want to access.

P.S. It's a good idea to give each box a different name in webif settings, then it's easier to identify them on the RS website.

I expect so, try it!

I now have Samba & CIFS installed and is reported as running on the Humax via webif. Now what? What do I do? Is that it? Do I need to do anymore, if not I cann't detect any changes. What does Samba do exactly?

Samba makes the Humax drive(s) shareable on the network, CIFS provides access to networked drives. To configure CIFS see auto-mount in the Wiki.

Just use it to decide whether shared drive access is worthwhile for you. The supposed 4GB bug eradication shifts the balance somewhat. What's left is that by sharing one Humax's drive with the other you get full control as if the drive is fitted locally - full transport control, delete/copy/move/rename, set bookmark, etc etc. If you stick with DLNA as your network access you don't get much more than play/stop.

Once you decide you want in, the rest is apparently daunting but actually quite straighforward - I know because I was also nervous about it until I took the plunge (I meant to write it up but I had other priorities at the time - perhaps I had better get back to it) and found how easy it was. You just need Samba on the server machine and CIFS + auto-mount on the client and follow the instructions in the Wiki to set it up. There is no reason both machines can't be server and client.

You do need to be decrypting as a matter of course, but that's a no-brainer.

Thanx again Black Hole, but once again having re read all the parts it looks impossible for me to follow, I think I should wait till you write it up. A step by step guide would be much appreciated, at the moment it means too much cross referencing for me to follow.

I'm continuing to look at this, and wonder if the Samba/CIFS setup I have is correct namely in webif/service management I have Samba & CIFS as "on" in autostart up & status in both Hamax's. Is that all for Samba/CIFS setup????

Secondly as I understand it I need to get [network-shares-automount] setup correctly as detailed here: http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/network-shares-automount-package-released.1126/

That is where I struggle, I cann't figure out how to do it, far too complicated particularly the bit about setting directories.

Perhaps I should be asking my questions in that thread?

It would be a good idea. I will dig out my notes and do a write-up, but you'll have to be patient and somebody else might help out in the mean time. The point about the auto-mount directories is that you can set up a share using just the remote control.

However, in the meantime these two posts record what I did:

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/network-shares-automount-package-released.1126/page-7#post-15185

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/network-shares-automount-package-released.1126/page-7#post-15224

Back