Unable to connect to HDR Fox T2 via Telnet or PuTTY

Evening everyone, and many thanks for the above comments. I am currently awaiting delivery of the "test" hard drive and will see what happens once here.
Trev I have taken out the hard drive on a couple of occasions now, but am grateful for your info and Black Hole for the guide :)

Nar. I was incorrectly 'questioning' your technical skill ability to change a HDD and you shot me down with "I have changed the HDD several times". Just goes to show that bad assumptions can sometimes be made.
Changing a HDD requires physical skill which one has or not, determining whether a HDD is IDE or SATA requires knowledge, which can be learned.:D
So I do not retract my apology.;):p

Evening everyone,

well I have just been testing the guinea pig hard drive which arrived today. And ....sound the trumpets....it seems to be fine!! :D
So I first of all ran the HDD Test, which passed. I then formatted it and could then see drive capacity in Data Storage....

What is the "reserved size" and why is there only 57% available? Is there some kind of partition on the disk? Please see attached screenshot.

I ran channel search, successfully set a program to schedule record and additionally started recording one already in progress = all good!
It did fall over when I tried to access the BBC iplayer, just like the former drive, but then I was subsequently able to access it successfully.

Is it safe to assume that all is well, or should I also run fixdisk and/or any other steps to verify please?

Unfortunately, it seems the drive I intended to buy @Ebuyer as per site suggestions is currently sold out, though I may wait until it is back in stock. Alternatively, I believe Black Hole said that up to a max of 2tb would be fine and negate any need to undertake more complex formatting steps, right? Though 2tb might be overkill for me :unsure:

Is there an option via CFW that will allow me to in some way find out if I can transfer any data on the old drive to the "new" one please? I know that encryption recording is specific to an individual machine, but I have I believe, also read that data can be de-encrypted....assuming that a drive is accessible.

Many thanks for your continued assistance...you've been stars! :)

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-20_22-44-23.png
    upload_2017-12-20_22-44-23.png
    204.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
What is the "reserved size" and why is there only 57% available? Is there some kind of partition on the disk?
That's not a problem. If you want the technical details see https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/2tb-drive-added-capacity-not-fully-shown.8334/#post-117762.

Is it safe to assume that all is well, or should I also run fixdisk and/or any other steps to verify please?
Yes, all is well. You are safe to spend money on a new drive 2TB or less, of a suitable specification for PVR use, in the belief it will improve the life expectancy of your HDR-FOX.

Is there an option via CFW that will allow me to in some way find out if I can transfer any data on the old drive to the "new" one please? I know that encryption recording is specific to an individual machine, but I have I believe, also read that data can be de-encrypted....assuming that a drive is accessible.
The old drive is dead. Fiddling with it in software won't resurrect it - that's what brought you here in the first place.

There are data recovery agencies who can fiddle with the hardware if the data is precious enough, but they charge by the megabyte of data recovered so it would cost an arm and a leg to rescue video files that way!

Had the drive not been dead, yes it would have been possible to access it externally via a USB to SATA adapter (that's exactly how a portable HDD works) and read it, and the original HDR-FOX would be able to play the files despite them being encrypted. But if it hadn't been dead, you wouldn't have needed to do that anyway.

It's only telly. More comes along every day than can be watched in several months, 24/7. If it's something particular, it's a safe bet it will be repeated sooner or later, and if you sign up for the RS service (custom firmware Remote Scheduling), it is possible to set up a persistent search to alert you when that desired programme comes around again (and even automatically schedule it to record without intervention). I do that with movies I want to see but can't be bothered to go to the cinema for - in the sure knowledge they will turn up on TV in not much more than a year.

Last edited:
Good result then Tracy!!
Now you can throw 'big money' at it safe in the knowledge that it's going to work and save yourself a bunch that it would have cost for a new box.:D

Hi Black Hole & Trev , hope you both have had a super Xmas! :)

Thank you very much for your further comments, so helpful as always.

Since changing the hard drive the box has started making a whirring, low humming sound on an intermittent basis. I believe this has only happened to date while watching live stream TV and not recordings. I initially thought I might not have re-accommodated the HDD properly and it was vibrating on something....but if that were the case it would happen continually and I naturally replaced all screws.

If I restart the box either using the remote or the switch on the back the noise has often stopped, however it may reoccur and gently build up again a while later.

As I said, it is only intermittent at the moment, but makes me apprehensive about buying a new hard drive if there could be another fault :unsure:

Would be very grateful for any thoughts you may have .

Many thanks in advance guys

Tracy

Hi everyone,
just a few words to update you on the status quo. I read about the test involving the slip of paper BlackH and realised that in fact the fan was working, contrary to what I had previously thought. I installed a new Pipeline hard drive and it seems everything has been fine since...no further humming :)
The only thing I have noticed, is that a couple of films have recorded in two parts...that is that instead of one recorded file/program for the entire film, there are two recordings that make up the film. This may be due to the way it was broadcast, so will keep an eye on that.

I really can't thank you all enough for your greatly valued input on this matter. You saved me money and allowed me hopefully, a few more years with the cherished Hummy!
Big thanks once again!! :thumbsup::D

If the movie in question was broadcast in the evening on the likes of ITV2, they often have "FYI Daily" which extends one of the advert breaks. Sometimes movies on ITV span the news. This is treated as a separate programme in the EPG, and breaks the movie into two separate (but linked) broadcasts - like a mini-series (but not a series). Setting one half to record automatically sets the other half to record, you don't have to do anything about it, but nonetheless they will end up in two recording files.

You can use the CF to join them together if it bothers you.

If the movie in question was broadcast in the evening on the likes of ITV2, they often have "FYI Daily" which extends one of the advert breaks. Sometimes movies on ITV span the news. This is treated as a separate programme in the EPG, and breaks the movie into two separate (but linked) broadcasts - like a mini-series (but not a series). Setting one half to record automatically sets the other half to record, you don't have to do anything about it, but nonetheless they will end up in two recording files.
I think Channel 5 does this too, round a 5 min news break. It is annoying that you get separate files.

If you check the recording schedule or epg when one of these has been set, you'll see a green icon (a jigsaw piece IIRC) at the end of the entry rather than a series icon.

I think Channel 5 does this too, round a 5 min news break. It is annoying that you get separate files.

If you check the recording schedule or epg when one of these has been set, you'll see a green icon (a jigsaw piece IIRC) at the end of the entry rather than a series icon.
Channel five do as you describe. ITV2 no longer always does that with split films.
To ITV2's split films they now frequently add a series CRID. When setting the recording you then have the option of recording the programme, and doing that results in both parts being recorded. If instead you select the "series" both parts will be recorded but you'll get the series icon on the schedule and a remnant recording entry in your schedule to slow down epg navigation once it has been recorded.

Hi all, thanks very much for your comments. The channels it has happened on are indeed ITV2 and/or ITV4 and Channel 5 to date. I don't recall it ever happening before on the original hard drive. A bit annoying, though being able to join them up via the CF sounds interesting Black Hole. Is this straightforward or a tad complicated? Also, as a fountain of knowledge, are you able to shed any light on why I get the message "cannot change channel while recording", when while recording on Channel 4 for example, I wish to watch something on BBC1?

Were you recording two programmes or just one?, the reason you may be prevented from changing channel when recording two programmes is that there are only two tuners and if the two recordings are on different MUXs and third selection is on a third MUX then the system can't select this third MUX, a third selection from one of the first two MUXs is allowable

Also, as a fountain of knowledge, are you able to shed any light on why I get the message "cannot change channel while recording", when while recording on Channel 4 for example, I wish to watch something on BBC1?
In amplification of the above: Things Every... (click) section 14.

I don't recall it ever happening before on the original hard drive.
The splitting of a film by news or FYI Daily (or whatever) is nothing to do with the hard drive, it will have happened (under the relevant circumstances) whether you recall it or not (or maybe you simply never recorded a split movie before).

being able to join them up via the CF sounds interesting. Is this straightforward or a tad complicated?
As with most things implemented through the Custom Firmware Web Interface (WebIF), once the right packages are installed it's pretty much point-and-click.

Were you recording two programmes or just one?, the reason you may be prevented from changing channel when recording two programmes is that there are only two tuners and if the two recordings are on different MUXs and third selection is on a third MUX then the system can't select this third MUX, a third selection from one of the first two MUXs is allowable
Hi Ezra, after help from Mr. Google I'm slightly clearer now on your explanation regarding MUXs. I can't recall whether it was one or two programs I was recording, however, the fact that I am sometimes able to change to certain channels and not others while recording would kinda verify what you have related. Thanks very much...every day is a school day :)

Back