Unable to copy mpg file to PC

No I won't ;) We're all friends here (or most of us anyway) and I see no reason we can't have conversations without somebody butting in.

Nobody is disputing that friendly banter takes place on forums, but in #14 makem is politely asking for a solution rather than an opinion e.g. "I appreciate you comment but do you have any further advice on my problem?". Maybe the banter can take place in the Hummy Arms, as you have suggested to others users in the past

Occasionally we all go slightly off topic which makes threads that could help other users get longer. Going TOTALLY off topic not only makes a thread needlessly longer but can get very annoying especially when all you want is a fix to a problem.

From the wiki:
The following conditions must be met :-
  • The file must be decrypted (Displays a DEC against it)
  • ffmpeg package must be installed
  • Standard Def. recording only
Strangely, the 'Extract to mpg' option is available for decrypted HD files, but I've never got one to work, so I assume the wiki is correct. Is this the cause of your problem?

I think that is the solution but at this moment cannot confirm it. I usually save HD files so it would be safe to assume that I have decrypted one and attempted to extract the mpg. I do have ffmpeg installed. I will confirm I can extract an mpg from a Standard Def. file and transfer same to my PC.

Seeing the Extract option in the HD path gave me no reason to query that part of the extract/download.

Many thanks young man :)

I have had similar problems.

The most recent I wrongly attributed to virtual-disk but I have now discovered that occasionally the TS wrapper gets corrupted when the program is recorded which doesn't bother the T2 but upsets some other players such as VLC as well as Raydon's AV2HDR. FFPROBE reports dozens of stream errors that I don't understand.

Using FFMPEG with appropriate parameters to extract the mpeg has so far solved the problem to provide a clean mpeg playable on everything I have tried and acceptable to AV2HDR.

I have had similar problems.

The most recent I wrongly attributed to virtual-disk but I have now discovered that occasionally the TS wrapper gets corrupted when the program is recorded which doesn't bother the T2 but upsets some other players such as VLC as well as Raydon's AV2HDR. FFPROBE reports dozens of stream errors that I don't understand.

Using FFMPEG with appropriate parameters to extract the mpeg has so far solved the problem to provide a clean mpeg playable on everything I have tried and acceptable to AV2HDR.

I didn't know you could use FFMPEG on it's own. Can you assist with how and what parameters please?

EDIT: The files I need to extract are decrypted HD .ts files now on my PC and I cannot replace them with STDdef.

I didn't know you could use FFMPEG on it's own. Can you assist with how and what parameters please?

Download a static build from here

http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

Run this substituting %1 and %2 for the appropriate file names. If they include spaces put the whole name in quotes.

ffmpeg -i %1.ts -target pal-dvd -vcodec copy -acodec copy %2.mpeg

This simply extracts the mpeg stream and fixes it where necessary.

Does winff.org actually give you the command line it is using?

Yes it does - Tick the "Show command line" under "Options".

It appears to determine what it can do from FFMPEG itself as the options change when you provide a new version of the FFMPEG.EXE

I prefer it to Avanti which I tried first.

Download a static build from here

http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

Run this substituting %1 and %2 for the appropriate file names. If they include spaces put the whole name in quotes.

ffmpeg -i %1.ts -target pal-dvd -vcodec copy -acodec copy %2.mpeg

This simply extracts the mpeg stream and fixes it where necessary.

Lost at 'Run this'!

Run where? No exe file in the extracted folder to run?

Sorry, complete newbie here :(

EDIT: Saw the post about the GUI for FFMPEG so will be able to use that.

LOL first attempt - ... truncated (too many warnings) consider to cancel process!!

Now I am not sure if the errors are caused by the program not being able to deal with a decrypted .ts file or, the file is corrupt for some reason, hence why VLC cannot play the extracted (via webIF) mpg.

Lost at 'Run this'!

You need to open a Command window (Type cmd in the run box). Get FFMPEG.EXE and your TS file into the same directory that the command window has opened and simply type
ffmpeg -i input.ts -target pal-dvd -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mpeg

at the prompt. It will take a few minutes and spew out a huge amount of messages - ignore them.

If you are lucky you will have a clean mpeg in that directory.

You need to open a Command window (Type cmd in the run box). Get FFMPEG.EXE and your TS file into the same directory that the command window has opened and simply type
ffmpeg -i input.ts -target pal-dvd -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mpeg

at the prompt. It will take a few minutes and spew out a huge amount of messages - ignore them.

If you are lucky you will have a clean mpeg in that directory.

Yes, I eventually worked that out. However the huge amount of messages are error messages. I tried Avanti and WinFF both of which gave numerous errors but both continued to run. Both hogged 100% of my processor though (Laptop). I didn't let either complete for that reason after waiting 15 minutes.

You say I should ignore messages - errors?

@makem

Yes it will take 100% cpu as processing video is very cpu intensive. On a laptop it will take a while as they are not usually that powerful. On my 2.4 MHz desktop I would expect about 20 mins per GB. With FFMPEG the work is being done by software not dedicated hardware.

If the TS wrapper is corrupt you will get lots of error messages telling you what's wrong with it but as we don't want it, does it matter? I know little about multiplexing DVB so I don't understand most of the messages anyway. The important thing is the mpeg which if it has been viewable on anything while encapsulated is probably OK.

Back